Nosebleeds and Interferon

Hi All. Due to venesections not bringing down my haematocrit I met with the consultant. They gave me a choice of Interferon or Hydroxycarbamide but recommended the former. Six weeks ago I started on 90mg once a week. I met with a registrar last week and was told I need venesection every two weeks and 135mg Interferon every week. I have now started getting nosebleeds, having had one Wednesday and one at 2am this morning. Should I be concerned? I also noticed that the time I was 90mg my platelets and white blood cell went down but RBC went up. I have another appointment with Haematology on 20th May. Should I let them know beforehand about the nosebleeds?

3 Likes

@Adw265 I always say it is worth telling my medical team of any symptoms or changes to symptoms that I get.
If they don’t know then they cannot advise you or advise something ready to be discussed on 20 May
Please do let us know how you get on and take lots of care of yourself.

3 Likes

Hi @Erica thanks for the advice. I’ll call them on Monday and update them. Have a good weekend.

2 Likes

Hey @Adw265, really sorry to read of those nose bleeds.

I was just reading this MPN Voice stuff and, although it’s about hydroxyurea, it mentions that with MPNs, “If your platelet count drops too low you may experience nose bleeds, bleeding gums when you brush your teeth, a rash of tiny red spots or increased bruising.”

I’d definitely let your doctors know. Having Polycythaemia vera (PV) I’ve told myself that if there’s ever any unusual blood issues I’ll take them straight to my haematologist.

Hope you get some resolution!

2 Likes

Adw265 I have had to ring the cancer nurses at the haematology day ward and have always found them helpful. I hope you get your nose bleeds sorted soon.

2 Likes

Hi All. I spoke with the Haematology CNS today and she is going to mention it to the consultant and ask him to phone me. They were hoping that I would have less symptoms with being on Interferon.

3 Likes

That’s great! Hope it turns out to be no big deal. Let us know how it goes, @Adw265.

1 Like

Adw265 fingers crossed you don’t have to wait long for the consultant to get back to you

2 Likes