Quarantined from hospital I have cold symptoms

Hi there

My mum is currently in hospital she went in o Friday and I’ve been with her everyday but I’ve had to take a step back and not visit as I have cold symptoms. I’m on day 3 and I hate it. I’m her primary carer and my sister “pops in” when she feels like it. But she’s been up there everyday and as much as I appreciate this she isn’t the greatest at communicating. We don’t tend to get on except when it comes to mum. But I had to call her last night as I’d not heard anything I called no answer then I txt again no answer. My auntie called me to check in see how I was and she’d just spoken with my sister my auntie told me what she’d been updated with from my sister like the nutritionist had been and given her something she liked and that they’d put her on a drip to make her more comfortable overnight and then my sister finally called me back and she said i quote “well I do have other people I need to talk to!” I’ve only just left! surely I should be the first call? Or am I being selfish? I didn’t mention I’d spoken to my auntie beforehand but all my sister said was well there’s no change I literally had to ask if anyone had seen her and she said oh yeah all the usual. I had to push to see who they were and what they had said. She knows I can’t go up as I have these symptoms of a cold so to be so snide with me was hurtful. Am I being selfish?

1 Like

Hi @rach45, I’m sorry you’re dealing with all of this whilst your mum is in hospital. You’re not being selfish. You’re her primary carer and you’re used to being right there with her every day. Hearing the news second-hand and having to push for the details would sting for anyone I’m sure!

It might be worth asking the ward whether you can ring them directly while you’re off with your cold, particularly as you’re her main carer. That way you’re not relying on your sister for every update, and it might take a bit of the pressure off between you both?

I’m also hoping other members who’ve been in the carer role will feel able to share their experiences with you.

It’s also easy to forget about yourself in all this. We have some information on looking after yourself when someone you love has blood cancer which you might find helpful. And if you’d like to talk things through with someone, our Support Line is there for friends and family too: 0808 2080 888 (option 1) or support@bloodcancer.org.uk.

I hope your cold clears quickly so you can get back to your mum. Keep posting whenever you need to.

Take care,
Ceri - Blood Cancer UK Support Services

2 Likes