Risking lives no protection

I think it’s absolutely barbaric and cruel the way the imunocompromised groups including Blood Cancer Patients have been treated by the Government by not making restrictions since the recent rise in cases and increased death rate

We know the Government run the country, but would cev or now ex cev group members have grounds to report the Government to the European Court Of Human Rights?

Do the government realise that Blood Cancer Patients have low immunity to begin with, due to chemotherapy. Our health Secretary says we have to learn to live with it? What could be more inhumane than forcing a human to choose between life and income amid the recent rise in covid figures?

6 Likes

It’s very difficult isn’t it @anon06. I think all we can do at the moment is do what we can to keep ourselves safe. Off course, I understand that’s not the solution and it’s hard for others to understand, but for me, doing my own risk assessments and focussing on how I feel and not what others think is what I can have some control over :blush:

5 Likes

Thanks for your reply

Hi @anon06 I agree with you, personally I have been struggling with anxiety about going out and still only go to appointments but most of mine are still telephone consultations to keep us away from hospitals/Dr’s surgeries. I still don’t get how we’re supposed to be back to normal but don’t have face to face appointments. I still wear a mask and as far as possible keep my distance if I do have to go out. Whole situation is totally ridiculous. My opinion is do what makes you feel safe and don’t worry what other people think

4 Likes

I completely agree but since we left the EU they can ignore the European Court of Human Rights, not that they’ve taken any notice of anything else they agreed in the exit treaty they signed up…

5 Likes

Thank you for all replies.
Its just so cruel, you want to do something to stop this ruthless attitude, but can’t.

Also I tried to help people by posting links about getting 3rd jabs and another about a new mutation called delta+ but I was prevented and flagged, what is the rule, just looking out for everyone

Agreed, Anon06, well said.
I just wrote a carefully worded, polite but ‘pointed’ letter to my Tory MP who will, on past experience, reply with the standard Tory response rather than answer my points.
What prompted the letter was not only the 3rd jab for us, but what’s happened to my mother in law.
We found out yesterday that my 93-year old mother-in-law, living in a local care home, has not had her booster yet - 2nd dose over 8 months ago. No-one in the home has been vaccinated, putting the whole place at very high risk. The reason is due to the GP practice linked with the home not being supplied with any Covid vaccine!!! They sent a nurse to do the 'flu jabs, but the Covid vaccine hadn’t arrived . . .If we carted her down to the local football ground, we could all queue up and she’d get a jab as she’s listed on the ‘eligible’ list!!! Of course, we can’t do that for lots of reasons, not least it puts all three of us at even greater risk . . .
Rant over . . . but how much longer will it be before the real stories get out?

5 Likes

Thanks to everyone for your replies it is totally barbaric and inhumane, to think that because of Brexit the victims are powerless and can’t effectively do anything ie no human rights authority to complain to. Personally I think it’s too late for restrictions and the Indian variant & now the Delta plus is getting through first jabs like a knife through butter, the only way to stop this from getting worse is LOCKDOWN! Ill stop now incase anyone thinks I’m getting too political. I’m deeply concerned for all Blood Cancer patients and all vulnerable groups.

3 Likes

I am with you all the way!!

2 Likes

Sorry if this may seem Irrelevant and I admit this is a last resort…

My understanding is that people vote for a party in an election and the queen employes the leader of that party to form a Government.

Therefore the Queen effectively employes a Government.

Could the Queen or one of her representatives do something?

I am deeply concerned that something desperately needs to be done to help everyone especially vulnerable groups at the moment in this LIFE OR DEATH situation.
I look forward to hearing from you

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more. At the very least there is no excuse I can see for not continuing with mandatory mask wearing etc, it’s now been shown 80% people wore masks when it was mandatory and only 20% now. I’m so sick of hearing about “learning to live with covid” etc, learning to live with covid is a VERY different thing when you’re really vulnerable both to catching it in the first place and to dying from it. I can’t help feeling like a wall has been thrown up between vulnerable people and everyone else and if you’re on this side of the wall you just don’t matter anymore. And the belief on the other side of it seems to be that everyone’s equally protected by the vaccines and also that masks and other measures are entirely a personal choice now. I’ve literally heard people imply that all the vulnerable people were going to die soon anyway. I wrote to my MP last week (again Tory, I’m not expecting much) asking that if the reintroduction of measures is discussed in Parliament, could he please strongly recommend publicly calling them “protections” instead of “restrictions”. I pointed out “restrictions” draws people’s attention to what is being restricted and therefore fosters resentment and division, whereas “protections” draws attention to what is being protected (the NHS, vulnerable people, everyone’s lives, hospital beds and yes, the economy) and fosters a sense of solidarity. I think it would be great if there were a single group that campaigned on behalf of all vulnerable groups to push this entire issue to the fore as all we seem to hear in the media are people who don’t want restrictions. There are 100+ people dying every day and our rates are far higher than other Western European countries, I agree with the British Medical Association calling the government “wilfully negligent” for not reintroducing measures.

5 Likes

In the USA immunocompromised are being given preventative medication but our government won’t. They are saying it can be used for treatment when you catch covid but surely prevention is better.

4 Likes

It a combination of the lack of government action and human stupidity.I was coming back from the hospital in Newcastle on the train a few weeks ago and it was about 18c but all the passengers where sat there with every window shut(on most of our trains run by Northern you can still open the windows) it’s almost as if they want to catch something.There’s not just the coronavirus now but some of the flus and common colds(rhinoviruses)are packing a real punch as people no longer have the immunity that they had having not been exposed to them.Mask wearing would greatly reduce the risk of heavy particles but fresh air dilutes the air and thus the viral build up.Then again the government has had a double standard,as usual, telling people during the lockdown not to use public transport but letting motorists go wherever they like yelling and screaming at their dogs and kids once they get out of their metal shells oblivious to who might be downwind of them.

3 Likes

I just listened to the radio this evening to hear Rachel Johnson referring to a Scientist from independent SAGE who had just suggested that if we didn’t increase mask wearing and take other mitigation measures we could end up with another lockdown she called him a “shroud waver” and said she personally would not want o see another mask except in an operating theatre. I switched off as she launched in to her we have to learn to live with the virus diatribe but it occurred to me that compassion for those less fortunate than oneself does not appear to have featured highly in the Johnson family upbringing. If her brothers view are anything like hers then I should imagine the deaths of a couple of hundred vulnerable people per day are a price worth paying for your own “normal” life.

6 Likes

Absolutely fantastic reply. I fully endorse your comments. Just because we can’t report to human rights court due to leaving eu SOMETHING MUST BE DONE QUICKLY

1 Like

I agree @anon06 but we need a united vulnerable people response and activity to raise our profile Blood Cancer UK do an excellent job but there are too few of us also they have to appear reasonable and see both sides what we need is a vocal group talking about our rights as human beings whose sole focus is to make the Gov take notice of us sort of saying because the vaccines don’t work too well for us we are likely to make up a high component of the hospitalised or the deaths and we don’t intend to go quietly!

4 Likes

@Ismo - Exactly! I’ve been looking for a single group specifically advocating on behalf of all vulnerable people (rather than as separate health conditions or alternatively for disability rights generally) but have been unable to find one and I think it’s really needed, a kind of Vulnerable Folks United! Without that voice, it feels like we’re all just being swept quietly under the carpet and treated as extraneous statistics whose lives don’t really matter, it’s scary.

1 Like

Well what do we do about it ? I am a seasoned “agitator” in person for my union for disability rights health and safety etc but never done anything on line any suggestions. Time for the “hiding away” to come out of the woodwork and make a noise perhaps?

1 Like

As Head of State ,The Queen has to remain strictly neutral with respect to political matters.
She doesn’t even vote
Not sure any party would do much differently - as they are all saying - “follow the science”, and roll out the same people each time for us to follow.

From my perspective, it’s a bit like everyone is stuck between a rock and a hard place, too many restrictions harm a lot of people - mental health issues, and to get critical illnesses diagnosed and treated, - both of which can be life or death situations, and too few mean that the most susceptible, to whatever is going around, get clobbered.

The country can’t be shut down for a few (and we are a few) I am living with reality, and enjoying myself - I already have 30% chance of dying earlier than others of my age, who don’t have my condition, so I do what I can, I hassled, hassled, and blagged my way to a 3rd dose, however, I’m not locking myself away, or trying to force anything on anyone else. so I’ll go out in a blaze of glory, and glass of sparkly in my hand, my choice to live my life that way - and it’s great.

1 Like

I work in a primary school, not a good place to work with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) pre covid and disastrous in a pandemic and now I feel like I’m being thrown to the lions! Up until end of Sept when the government removed the shielding advice I taught, planned and did admin work remotely but when the government took that away I was expected to go back to work! I feel like they brushed us off! I’m not in a financial position to pack up so I will have no choice! I’m currently waiting on results from bloods, scans and a bone marrow biopsy as I’m not doing too good so I’m off sick, there needs to be exceptions and better protection for blood cancer patients!

4 Likes