Starting a New Life, Hopefully

I realise I cannot live the same life as before Coronavirus came into the world but I, one who is extremely nervous, have been taking small steps to re-aquaint myself with the world over the last little while.

Firstly I have almost caught up with all the appointments I missed from 2020 onwards. Six different parts of my body have been checked out over the last few months, plus I have also got some counselling help due to anxiety. However, doing this has helped me taken other small steps.

In some cases where distance was involved, and we do not drive, been taking cabs to different medical appointments when necessary. This is because I wear my PPF3 mask and and powder free vynal gloves and can have the cab windows wide open. However, twice now, I have taken very short journeys on buses at a time of day when they are empty. En route, after one of my appointments, had coffee outside and a meal outside - again for the first time since before Covid arrived in the UK. I also managed to go into my local M & S, Boots and another local store - again at a quieter time of the day. My husband and I felt like we had arrived from Mars, it seemed so strange! Have also tried out a few takeaways which we did not do over the last few years and I have now done something I would not have dreamed of a few months ago.

In a couple of weeks it will be my birthday and I have actually booked theatre tickets. The theatre is the place where I can truly relax and escape. Will make sure I will be going into Liverpool Street, London on a train carriage with open windows access and will arrive before the rush hour. At Spitalfields Market, nearby, there are tons of cafes that are out in the open, so picking one of these will be safe for me. From there, will get a short cab ride to the theatre - no busses due to full of the unmasked and again, cabs offer a divider in them and open windows for passengers.

I have chosen the theatre especialy for its layout. They do not have boxes but have what they call Tiers. On Tear 1 - sort of equivalent to the Circle seats, they have seats, that in one part of the theatre, consist of only two rows. I have got a seat at the end of a row, sitting next to my husband and it is the first row. So infront of me, there will be nobody, to one side my husband and the other side nobody. This may sound crazy, but I want to put the odds on my side as much as possible so that I can continue my love of the theatre. I just pray and hope this will work. It involved a lot of research, so hope I will be ok. After going out on my medical appointments, I tend to get very stressed so check myself so to calm me down, so no doubt I will do this again.

Just one more thing - I saw my best friend, who visited me and we went to have a walk in the park. This was the first time since 2019 that we saw each other. Cannot tell you how wonderful that is.

So my progress is slow, but getting there. Just hope I can manage more shows, if practical, some cinema, if practical, going back to my club and the biggest dream of all, going abroad on holiday.

I feel I have come back from a war, yet there is still the cloud of my husband’s illness hanging over us. It is so hard to be brave. Still to paraphrase an astronaut, one small step…

5 Likes

Hi @Lulu999. As I read your post I smiled more and more because it made me realise that it’s not the size of our steps that matterat all, it’s that it’s at our own pace and what’s right for us.
You really have achieved so much and clearly done what you needed to, in terms of getting support, getting those medical checks done and thinking how you can get back to what you love in the safest way possible to help you move forward. Such an achievement!
There are so many positives in this post and I love the title of it because it does - at times - feel like we are starting and learning all over again. Remembering the joys in the things we love and the special people in our lives is what life is about.
I will really look forward to getting updates from you and I hope you enjoy every minute of that show!
Now for the nosy part - what club is it that you want to get back to and what celebrations do you have planned for the jubilee weekend?
Thanks again for such an uplifting post before I go to bed. Just what the doctor ordered X
Sending lots of special wishes.

1 Like

Hi Nichola,

Firstly I hope you are feeling better and well over Omicron. Please stay safe.

Thank you for your lovely comments. I hope I did not sound OCD, but I felt I needed to minimise the risk when going to the theatre.
I did want to see “Back to the Future” as I thought it would be fun - loved the film - but no safe seats for my birthday and instead seeing Ralph Fiennes in a play about a guy who developed the Manhattan public skyline in the 1950s onwards. May sound boring to most, but I am very political bird!

My club is the University of the Third Age. It has branches all over the country. It is for older retired folk to keep their brains from becoming jelly, Had been there for about just over a year attending quizzes, which I love. They offer all kinds of programmes. I had been asked about running a programme and chose to do a series on Film Composers from the Golden Age of Hollywood - both bio and samples of their music. I had got into my second programme, when Covid reared its ugly head. Certainly could not go back to quiz programmes, where many people are stuck close together in a room. However, I hope one day to carry on with my film programmes, even if I have to be masked and have the windows open! Do not want all my many hours of research to go to waste - hahaha.

No plans for the bank holiday other than going to a local Turkish restaurant for a meal. Food is ok but the staff are just lovely and we can eat outside. My husband managed to do in his knee so cannot walk too far at present and I did in my neck and upper back a few days ago - we are a right pair!! Actually it was the right time to do in my neck in, as I hope to start physiotherapy in a few weeks - have at least 5 different areas of aches and pains a physio can work on - like to keep the NHS fully employed - hahahaha.

Anyway please stay safe and like others on the Forum, thank you for your encouragement and support. It is so important to know one is not alone, not just with the worry about our blood cancers, but what we have been going through throughout the pandemic.

Lulu999 x

1 Like

Oh @Lulu999 what a lovely post and thanks for talking us through your practicalities and thinking it really made me think.
I am also a member of the U3A and I do my Pilates with them.
I haven’t been quite as brave as you both but I am not far behind you.
I am glad that you have got some counselling , it really helped me, but as you realise not a quick fix.
As for seeing your best friend I bet it was absolutely wonderful.
Lockdown has given me the opportunity to decide what I want to do and with whom.
Yes, you sure are keeping the NHS busy.
Thanks for your post you have really made me think.
Look after yourselves and enjoy your lives and keep quizzing.

1 Like

Hi Erica,

Lovely to hear from you. It was interesting to see what your write when you said that “Lockdown has given me the opportunity to decide what I want to do and with whom”. I must say, I have always looked at it as a loss for me, not an opportunity. Then again, I am more of a half empty than a half full person!!! Additionally, perhaps because I had only joined the U3A for just over a year and was hoping to make some new friends that this opportnity was nipped in the bud by Covid.

As previously mentioned, I can survive with PPF3s and gloves, but it will involve a lot of planning, which I am good at. However, all this is a pain in the you-know-what - just wish I could go around as care-free as previously. However, considering where I was about three months ago, I’ve come a long way. As Nichola wrote, we all move at our own pace. Therefore as long as we move forward, that is the most important thing.

Take care of yourself,

Lulu999 x

2 Likes

Yes @Lulu999 just think how far you have come in 3 months and don’t underestimate your pace or achievement, you have done brilliantly. xx

2 Likes

Hi Erica,

Well you said that I have come a long way over the last few months, and I am continue doing this. Just thought I would let you know how things went for my birthday. As previously mentioned, planned to celebrate this by wearing a PPF3 mask and organising it like a military operation. Planned to go into Central London by overground rail sitting near a window and avoiding the rush hour crowds and then eat out in the open, before going on to the theatre by black cab. Well apparently there is a shortage of cab drivers now beside medical staff, etc., so had to take the tube, but just two stops only thankfully. Managed to get to the theatre eventually but it was the staff at the theatre that really made my day.

When I phoned the theatre the day before, a lady called Angel, who turned out to be my Guardian Angel, spoke to her Manager about my safety concerns. She got back to me and it was arranged that we would not go through a security search with the general public, but elsewhere and we would be put in an area of the theatre where people were not present. The public would go to their seats and my husband and I would be taken to ours at the last minute. Could not believe also that a member of staff presented us with a programme and would not take money for it and in the intermission, offered us a cold drink from the bar without us having to line up and would not take money for that either. (The previous day, without our even mentioning it, we had received a partial refund on our tickets, and was charged as being disabled, which was quite a surprise.) As to our seating located amongst two rows upstairs on the sides, I sat in the front row so nobody in front of me, my husband to the right of me and the stairway was to the left of me. Behind me but not directly so, was a member of the public. Was able to see a play for the first time since January 2020 and had one of the nicest birthdays ever, thanks to the wonderful theatre staff who went beyond the call of duty.

Generally, been going out into some shops most carefully, located near where we have had to go for medical appointments. Been keeping my distance and sticking to my PPF3 mask like it was glued on to me. Sadly as we do not drive, due with the train strike situation, cannot go up to Chelmsford for a day trip – they have a lovely market there. However, I have to say that I feel less fearful going out. With me it is more a problem afterwards of wondering if I have caught Covid, but as my husband says, you are well protected, using open windowed vehicles, being fully masked and keeping off buses that are crowded with the unmasked. Besides this, you have no symptoms!

Meanwhile, still catching up on over 2 years of medical appointments. I feel like an old car having its MOT. Have got a chiropodist appointment coming up followed by physio appointments for my neck and lower back problems. Thought I might have some peace during some of the summer, but it seems not. I know in August it will be a blood test and my Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) results, then after that will be no doubt a flu jab and no doubt booster no. 3 or jab no. 6! Meanwhile Omicron 4 and 5 are on the march here, so “make hay while the sun shines” and please stay safe.

Lulu 999 x

PS Wanted to cc this like an email to Nichola, but do not know how, so hope you (Nichola) reads this and I hope you are well over your bout of Covid and feeling fine.

1 Like

Hi @Lulu999 and @Nichola75, I have copied @Nichola75 in this she will be so pleased to hear from you and to hear what you have been up it.
I am so impressed with your planning and safety precautions.
I have found that telling people my concerns that they have been very accommodating too. However no free programmes, drinks or discounts here.
I also felt like an old car attempting to get a two year overdue MOT !!!
As you say then the medical cycle continues.
To copy someone in on a message just type a ‘@’ and either a little list of names come up to click on or you start, without a space, typing the name you are looking for. You can also contact BloodCancerUK or Gemma or Lauran their Nurse Advisors.
Please keep us posted with your adventures.
Look after yourselves

and you too Erica.

xxxx

1 Like

I’m so glad you copied me in @Erica, and @Lulu999, it’s so lovely to hear from you!
Once again your post made me smile, especially the kindness of others who you don’t know. So many of us have had bad experiences when out and about so to hear of a positive one - once again - made me a happy bunny!
Your health MOT did make me laugh. At least you’ll be sorted for a while at least!
Work is quite tiring and I don’t feel like I’ve fully recovered but only 4 weeks until the summer break. Things are definitely on the rise again. We have lots and lots of staff who have tested positive this week, which was bound to happen in schools when restrictions were lifted. I’m assuming I can’t catch it again after 4 weeks. Is that right @GemmaBloodCancerUK?
Lulu, I await your next instalment. Let us
know how all of your checks go and I hope you adventures continue with the kindness of others continuing to shine through! X

1 Like

Hi Nichola,

Thank you for your response and I am so sorry you are working in the front-line, as it was, just being in education.

I pray that you keep clear of Covid and stay well.

Kindest regards,

Lulu999

1 Like

Thanks @Lulu999. 13 year old daughter tested positive. She is feeling really poorly but is doing ok x

1 Like

Hope your daughter makes a speedy recovery.

Lulu999 x

1 Like