Waldenström Macroglobulinaemia (WM)

Hi @sajdee @Erica , Good to hear you’re positive even if apprehensive understandable but as I say a good team around you is invaluable.

As for Erica and your qualifications I’d say on the job training beats book learnt any day and if they can give out Honorary Degrees at Uni then why not a recognition as a Honorary support advisor.

As for a relevant aside to all who read this thread re Dr Google. Dr Google is predominantly American with influences due to their insured approach to treatment, differing access to such treatment and a sizable chunk of Religion. I fear they spend more time on prognosis and longevity (or not) and not enough on living.
Now where did I leave my antidepressants :wink:.

Hope all is good in your lives, and I’ll look out for your posts.
Iain

2 Likes

I had Waldenström macroglobulinaemia (WM) in 2020 treated with cemo for 6 mouths my number started at 49 now down to 5
2023 i walked 1160miles cycled 960 miles swam 25 miles and did 40hrs yoga
if you need any more info just ask

2 Likes

Wow, @richard I am in awe of you, wow.
All I do is walking and Pilates
Look after yourself and great to hear from you again, please do keep in touch with us all.

Hello @Iain, just wanted to pop in to agree that googling these blood cancers of ours can indeed lead to utter nonsense, often very outdated and non-medical, and frequently so generalised as to be unhelpful and anxiety-provoking.

Please be mindful not to cast an entire country’s cancer research as unworthy like you inferred about the US. I’m a Brit now living in California, a US state 1.5 times bigger than the entire UK, and it’s a far less overtly religious place. I find in my interactions with others on this forum that similar fears and treatment issues arise both here and there, with similar achievements and progress with the science behind our cancers. For what it’s worth, I’ve actually encountered more unscientific claptrap from Brits than Americans, but that’s a personal anecdote.

I’d say all cancer research is helpful, even if it’s not homegrown. My own experiences of cancer treatment and healthcare in the US is incredibly holistic with not a hint of religion. Needing private health insurance here is a total hassle though, so I’d suggest not letting the NHS keep heading that way by voting for politicians who want the NHS to flourish again.

2 Likes

Hi Duncan, hope this finds you well.
If my thoughts offend I assure you none are intended.
Whilst the development of Cancer management in all its aspects is strong in the US and to be respected the angle that makes me uncomfortable is not the technical/medical. It’s the mixtures of commercial and religious input to articles and forums that I’m uneasy about.
Keep taking the tablets!

1 Like