What is the normal stem cell procedure for Myeloma?

I was told last Friday by my Oncologist that due to my excellent blood test results I would be able to start the transplant after my 4th cycle of chemo. However one of the transplant nurses informed me that only stem cell collection was done after the 4th cycle but I would need to continue with the 5th and 6th cycle before the stem cells are returned. When I queried this with the oncologist who then phoned to apologise for the mix messages and said the regional licenced procedure was collection at 4th cycle and transplant after 6th cycle. I am obviously disappointed not to start the process at the 4th cycle but also I am wondering about my oncologist knowledge. Should I ask for a second opinion and is this procedure common in other hospitals?

2 Likes

Hi @Myelomapat I cannot answer your medical questions but this is obviously concerning you.
It does not answer your questions but others might be able to share their personal experiences.
Yes, a second opinion is an option to you.
Look after yourself and that is the most important thing and please keep posting

1 Like

Hi @Myelomapat

That’s great your bloods are looking so good after I’m guessing cycle3

There is generally a few weeks between harvest and transplant as there are pre transplant tests to be done

I was diagnosed with myeloma in 2017

It’s been a while since I harvested my stem cells (2017)
I had 2 cycles of VDT I was not responding to this then had 3 cycles of ESHAP had a break of 8 weeks then harvested stem cells
I had my transplant around 4 weeks later

I will link a myeloma uk download that may help you with any questions

2 Likes

Hi @Myelomapat.
It tough when there is a miscommunication like this, especially at a time when you need to have absolute trust in your team.
As @Erica had said, you have the right to a second opinion.
Do you have the relationship with your team whereby you could discuss how this is made you feel? Have you had the same oncologist for a while?

1 Like

@Myelomapat
hey there, ive had my stem cell transplant earlier this year and i had to finish my 6 cycles of dex velcade daratumabab thalidomide etc first. i had everything done in a week for the stem cell, i went to Hammersmith hospital for it, they gave stem cell growth injections for a week then harvested me over a couple of days, the next day i got the melphalan and around 24 hours later got my stem cells back.
another lady going through it at the same time as me was like you, excellent result at cycle 4 but was made to finish the cycles before the transplant. They know what they’re doing. Try not to worry and give yourself every good chance. ( i say that and i worried my way through it and am still doing it :roll_eyes:)

2 Likes

Oh @Bitsy and @Myelomapat I think it is so natural to worry, especially about all the unknowns.
Just look after and be very kind to yourselves

3 Likes

@Erica
Thank you :hugs:
i used to hear people say having cancer was very lonely and i totally get that now, nobody can understand it unless they go through it. nothing more sobering that having to face your own mortality.
everyone thinks now ive had my transplant im ok but the worry never leaves. i have constant back pain and my consultant is sending me for an mri to see if theres disease progression. :pensive:

2 Likes

Hi @Bitsy. You describe how so many of us feel/have felt. The constant worry can be mentally exhausting can’t it! So glad I have people on here that understand :blush:

4 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. I have had the same guy since the begining. I would have thought he would know the procedure if he had been workign there soem time.

1 Like

Hi Bitsy that is useful feedback thanks.

1 Like