Which covid antibody test to get?

Thankyou Blood Cancer Uk for your continued support. I had the “spike” antibody test yesterday, decided to go to a private hospital to have it. Couldn’t really afford it and I’m not sure it’s going to prove much but I needed to do something. Results should be back by Tuesday so I will post the . Thinking of everyone out there going through the same. Love and good luck to you all. Take care xx

3 Likes

You take care to. We will wait to hear from you x

1 Like

Hi @Angie please let us know what your results are and what you think of the service.
It will be also interesting how you feel now that you have the results.
Take care

1 Like

I take asprin and hydroxycarbide

2 Likes

Hi @bill a welcome to our forum and by sharing what you take I am sure you will assist others.
If you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk
I find this site supportive but also interesting and informative, I hope that you will too.
I look forward to hearing a lot more about you and how you are.

Welcome to the forum. How have you been keeping?

1 Like

I too used Testing for All and my results are negative - it’s so depressing isn’t it?

1 Like

I’ve had the Roche test and although I don’t understand the numbers given it says that I have good antibodies from the virus. (Pfizer and 2 jabs.). Feel more confident now.

1 Like

Hi @Maggi183 and a great big welcome, I don’t feel so bad now as I don’t understand these antibody tests and what the results practically mean.
I am glad that you feel more confident now
I have just watched the news (not a good idea !!) and a medical expert is telling everyone about the worrying Covid numbers rising and advising the wearing of masks and caution.
I don’t think that me and my mask will part company any time soon.
I look forward to hearing more about you, take care.

Hi, I have been reading on here about all the different antibody tests that people recommend and I saw that a lot of people used Testing For All. Unfortunately they haven’t had any anti-body tests available for the past couple of weeks. I got in touch with them and they said they will get some in soon but I’m getting very impatient. My husband really wants to know if he has had a good response from the vaccinations. Are there any other tests that anyone recommends, particularly one where the results are easy to understand. We don’t really want one where it will just give a positive or negative result but one that gives some explanation.

1 Like

Hi @Maggi183 and welcome to the forum. It great to have new members. @Mandypandy, most people I know use the Testing for All, However, I’m sure others will share their experiences. I’m glad that the result makes you feel better @Maggi183
It would be great to find out more about you :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Mandypandy, it will be interesting to hear what others have expedited. How is your husband?

1 Like

I thought blood cancer patients could get an antibody test when they have theri normal blood check. My Haematologist said she only had to justify it by saying that you are have compromised immune system but cannot continue to shield because of work/travel caring/ responsibilities and therefore need the info to make an informed risk assessment of your situation. Anyway the hospital did mine no problem I have no idea what sort of test it was but it gave the antibody response AUml mine was positive but low compared to younger patients with same type of blood cancer and of course much lower than the “normal healthy person” whoever that is!

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear everyone’s experiences as this is something I’m completely ignorant about. I’m not even sure that I want to know what my antibody situation is.

1 Like

My consultant advised not to. He said not enough is known and didn’t really see the benefit of it because there are so many unknowns about what they actually mean etc etc.

1 Like

Thank you for all your comments in reply to my message. Its interesting that your consultant advised you not to get an anti-body test @Nichola75 . My husband wasn’t going to get one because we both feel it doesn’t give you the full picture, but my GP advised him to get one to stop me worrying so much about him! He works in Tesco and now that masks aren’t being worn by everyone, I am so worried he’ll catch the virus. My GP just thought if he had anti-bodies, it would stop the worry quite so much and he hasn’t any, then we won’t be any worse off than we are now because we are assuming his body hasn’t made any anti-bodies. Its such a worry to have him go off to work each evening and know that he’s at such risk. Hardly any staff, and few customers, are wearing masks now. John still wears one, and I bought him some better masks - the PPF2 masks but its still such a worry. Work is the one thing you can’t pick and choose whether you do it or not.

Unfortunately my niece has just caught covid and my son lives in the same house as her. I spent the evening with my son a few days ago so now I’m worried I have it and will pass it on to my husband. The worry feels endless.

Thank you for letting me know that your consultant organised your anti-body test with your other blood tests @Ismo. I will look into that for John.

2 Likes

Hi @Mandypandy, it’s so hard now isn’t it and there seems to be a lot more positive cases being a lot closer to home. It’s sounds as though you are both doing all that you can to keep yourselves safe.
I hope that your niece is ok and fingers crossed that it doesn’t get passed on to your son.
Keep us updated on how you all are X

1 Like

Hi @Mandypandy it sounds as if you and your husband are taking all reasonable precautions.
I think all this media coverage is making us all more worried.
If you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (Mondays: 10am-7pm, Tuesdays-Fridays: 10am-4pm, Saturday, Sundays and Bank Holidays: 10am-1pm) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
I found counselling helped me with my anxieties and if it is something you might consider your GP might have a suggestion. If you might think of going privately the BACP (British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy) might be a starting point.
I am also not worried about getting an antibody test as I am not sure what the results would mean for me with a weakened immune system.
I hope your son is OK and so are you, keep posting.
Take care you are both doing brilliantly in the circumstances.

1 Like

@Mandypandy I’m sorry to hear that your husband must work in the unsafe environment. I have opted to use ppf3 masks at work and everywhere I’m forced to mix with people I don’t know and who are now enjoying their freedom = no masks or social distancing. PPF3 masks are more expensive but that’s what NHS staff is using. x

2 Likes

I am sorry your husband is in such a tricky situation at work but that should hopefully justify him getting an antibody test through the hospital. I didn’t actually ask for an antibody test. I asked my haematologist for advice re working in London occasionally and about being able to travel to my home country and she said I’d better have the antibody test which although it didn’t give the whole picture (e.g. re T cells) it would at least give me some information upon which to make decisions. The reading that I had some antibodies but perhaps not enough produced the advice to insist on continuing with zoom meetings where I could and because she knows that I haven’t seen my family for 18 months she more or less said, on your own head be it but at least wear a N95 mask on the plane. I never thought to ask a GP because I don’t think I’ve seen the same one twice for years we just have a procession of locums.

1 Like