Which covid antibody test to get?

I would like to get a Covid antibody test. I am aware that antibodies are only part of the picture and that t-cell response is also important, but I would like some indication of my response to the vaccine. They are not being offered by my GP or my hospital, so I will have to go private. I know that I need a test that measures the S (spike protein) antibody, but there are so many options (blood test / fingerprick, online / in person etc) and prices seem to range from about £50 - £200.

Any advice on which test to go for and which companies are reputable would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi @AnneJ, it is so difficult to know the best Covid antibody test and where to get it.
Also what does the result honestly tell you ???
I have heard of someone getting an Ab spike test for £50 by the Genesis Cancer Care Centre. I believe Boots are also doing them for £80. I do not know enough about the tests so these re not recommendations.
The Blood Cancer UK website has information as well.
Others might be able to help you more, I hope.
Please let us know how you get on, I am sure it could help others.

2 Likes

Hi Anne
I had an antibody test from Testing for All it was the covid 19 immunity tracker test for the spike protein,which I had at home it requires you to collect blood from your finger and sqeeze an amount of blood into a tube, its all very easy and really well explained. Then you send it in post and have results about 2 days later. I have ET blood cancer and had the test 6 weeks after my 2nd dose and was very happy to say I was told I had a good immunity response with detailed information. I do hope this helps in some way, its a very worrying time I understand and hope you get good results also. Best wishes Jan.

4 Likes

This one has really good reviews and I know a lot of people who have used it :blush:

2 Likes

Yes I used the Testing for All immunity tracker too. Don’t use their cheaper one. I had some antibodies 6 weeks after the first jab, far more 4 weeks after the second: huge difference. It’s just under £50 and we’ll worth it for peace of mind (or knowing that your caution has good cause). They do recommend that people with blood cancers wait longer after the jab to get tested than those who think they have a normal immune system.

2 Likes

That’s interesting and food news for you. I used the same company 6 weeks after my first pizer jab and the results came back showing I had no antibodies. I am reluctant to have another test now I have had several one jab in case it shows the same result. I am relying on t cells to provide some protection.

3 Likes

I am in the US and asked my oncologist to order a test. I had:
SARS-CoV-2 Total Antibody, Spike, Semi-Quantitative /Test Code 39820 CPT code: 86769. I have CLL and my results were negative meaning that the test did not detect antibodies. I had my vaccines in February and March. My oncologist explained that they do not recommend the test to their cancer patients because there are too many variables. Of course, I am back to square one and will continue to wear a mask and avoid crowds. I was disappointed. I then reached out to a doctor who I have watched on the news, who answered me with a link to clinical trials with Astra Zeneca working on a vaccine to boost immunity with immunocompromised people.

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2020/covid-19-long-acting-antibody-laab-combination-azd7442-rapidly-advances-into-phase-iii-clinical-trials.html

1 Like

Do you take any meds for your ET?

1 Like

Yes I take asprin and hydroxycarbide

1 Like

Hello all, I know many of you will already be aware of the general information this blog offers, but I just wanted to put it here in case it’s useful - https://bloodcancer.org.uk/news/covid-vaccine-should-people-with-blood-cancer-get-an-antibody-test/ We are also in the middle of updating this blog to incorporate some further FAQs so I will post the most updated version on here as soon as it is published. If any of you would like to talk things through, we’re only a phone call away on 0808 2080 888.

2 Likes

I used testing for all spike protein immunity test£49.it’s a not for profit org.very profession and speedy service.
Sadly my result was zero

2 Likes

Thank you for this information. It was really helpful. There is still a lot to learn about vaccines, immunity, and COVID-19.

2 Likes

I’ve not had it yet but decided to go privately as I’ve had a few bad experices with online companies (not covid related)
I’m booked in next week to have the Roche antibody test.

2 Likes

Ho @Angie. Be interesting to hear how you get on. How have you been lately? X

3 Likes

Hi @Angie, yes, please let us know how the Roche antibody test goes and how are you doing?

2 Likes

Hi Nichola,
Fatigue driving me mad and I’ve had heart palpitations so heart guy ran a few tests and I’m now on Beta Blockers as well as Hydroxy. As they came on a few days after my covid vaccine they think the vaccine is to blame :tired_face:. Now we’ve all heard the news that we might not have immunity it’s just made everything worse. We will see what the test shows. Hope you are well x

2 Likes

Hi Erica,
I will post as soon as I hear… I just wish I could wave a magic wand to make everyone better. Fatigue is the worst for me and also sleeping but we did manage to get away for a week in May - nice cottage in Cornwall… Hope you are ok x

2 Likes

Fatigue is just awful isn’t it! Does anything help with it? It is a worry regarding our response to the vaccine. Be great when we hear about some of the results from the new research projects. In the meantime, take care of yourself X

2 Likes

Yes, @Angie fatigue is the worst and anyone that hasn’t had it just doesn’t know what it is like living with and managing it.
A nice cottage in Cornwall sounds idyllic, I can picture it now.
I am living my holidays vicariously through others !!!
Yes, testing into antibodies and what it means for us is going to take time I am afraid, at least there is work being done behind the scenes.
Take care

2 Likes

Hi Angie, it sounds like your going through a tough and challenging time with the fatigue and heart palpitations you have been experiencing following the covid vaccine. With the immunity of the vaccine in question for blood cancer patients, it’s understandable you would be feeling this way. Please be assured we will continue to work hard to help find answers on how much protection the vaccines give people with/affected by blood cancer, through our Vaccine Research Collaborative About the collaborative | Blood Cancer UK.

If we can be of any further support, our Support Services Team are always here: https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/talk-blood-cancer.

Best Wishes
Bav

2 Likes