Antibodies and medication

Hi all.
Does anyone know if the COVID vaccine affects the antibodies of all blood cancer sufferers or if it is just those who take medication other than aspirin whose antibody count is low or non-existant?

2 Likes

Hi @Quercus, it’s nice to hear from you. I hope you are well? There are so many questions around this isn’t their and even if I understood (which I don’t fully) I think I’d find it hard to explain. There is still so much that needs to be researched (funding permitting) to be able to fully understand. The Blood Cancer Uk updates help me. You may have already seen them? If not the link is below. I’m sure this is the most recent update. Covid vaccine for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK. Hopefully somebody on the forum or a member of the Blood Cancer UK team will be able to help. Take care :blush:

1 Like

Hi @Quercus, great to hear from you, @Nichola75 has given you good advice.
I honestly do not feel there is enough research data on the blood cancer community to date to answer your million dollar questions.
Personally I am airing on the side of caution.
Take care and keep posting.

2 Likes

Hi there
Yes, I was just wondering if the use of the Hydroxywotnot and other drugs was the problem with the body not producing antibodies after the vaccine.
I am sick to the teeth of shielding and armed with my mask, I have decided to get back into life - as I know it.
I don’t want to spend the rest of my life cowering inside my house! My life would be unbearable, so have decided to take every precaution I can and get out there, book a few holidays for next year onwards and carry on, with stiff upper lip under the mask, of course!

2 Likes

Thats what I have decided to do too have been very cautious for a year but jt can’t go in indefinitely. I have had both vaccinations so will just have to trust they have worked even though a test after my first one showed no antibodies. We have booked a world cruise for 2023. Hope we get to go on it

3 Likes

Oh @ilivesunshine, a world cruise sounds absolutely wonderful to me.

1 Like

I right with you on that one @Quercus and @ilivesunshine . I made u my mind after the first lockdown when shielding was paused last summer that I would make the most of everything that I was allowed to do and enjoy life. Everything for people like us is a calculated risk but I’d rather take some risk and have a good quality of life than to only ever see the four walls of my room for the rest of my life. Let us know where you decide to go and if you’ve got any recommendations :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s the spirit!! I am booked to go to Madagascar this October but not sure whether it will be a green traffic light or not.
Hope you enjoy your cruise, how exciting!!
xx

2 Likes

Madagascar sounds an amazing idea @Quercus :slight_smile: I’m still waiting to spend my vouchers from last year for my trip to New Zealand and nearby islands but I doubt very much whether it will happen this year. If there is a trouble free way of travelling abroad this then I might go for an old favourite and spend a few days in Malta where I’ve been lots of times and then see where fate takes me after that.

2 Likes

Your plans sound good to me @Franko, I have always fancied Madeira myself but there are also so many places in this country I want to explore.

2 Likes

Hope you all enjoy your holidays. We have been a bit impulsive this week and booked 2 more. We are going to Kos next month. Tbe covid rate there is lower than East Yorkshire where we’ve. We are trying to minimise the risks flying from our local airport which is not usually busy. The hotel has a private area on the beach where the loungers are sanitised after each use and various other protocols in place

We gave also booked a cruise to nowhere on the new virgin ship, Scarlet Lady. A passengers and crew will be fully vaccinated so that is reassuring. It sounds like a party ship, we may well be the youngest on board!

We are also going to Cornwall in August. We need to start living again.

2 Likes

Wow @ilivesunshine I am very impressed with you holiday plans it sounds as if you have really thought it through.
I look forward to hearing all about them.
Has anyone else got any holiday plans?

Blimey @ilivesunshine I thought I was ahead of the game when it came to planning for the future but you beat me. I’m very jealous!

2 Likes

I read a report from a joint Swedish and Israeli study yesterday …but Im sorry I cant find it again …it said that most people with blood cancer did have some protection from the 2x jabs but that those on antiCD 20 monoclonal antibodies o( ritiximab and obitumazab are examples evidently)r who had had them in the past 6 months had very few …sadly

2 Likes

Just wanted to put this on here in case it’s of interest! We have another Q&A coming up on the latest research on vaccine effectiveness. Do feel free to submit a question for the panel if you do sign up - Ask the Experts - Latest Developments on Vaccine Effectiveness.

3 Likes

Looking forward to this!

1 Like

I had a review whilst I was having treatment on Tuesday my consultant told me that because of treatment (obinutuzamab/venetaclax) my protection from two Pfizer jabs will only be 30/40% and to take care at all times

2 Likes

Then you make sure you keep yourself safe. How are you feeling after receiving that information?

2 Likes

At first I was gutted because it’s going back to last year and shielding again, I will do outdoor activities but, I’ve already cancelled a wedding I was supposed to attend on the 5th September 70 people indoors I don’t think so

2 Likes

I really feel for you - disappointing when things have to get cancelled. Hopefully things start to improve for us all soon :blush:

2 Likes