Coronavirus Vaccine

Is anybody aware if the new vaccine all over the news will help people with blood cancer and weakened immune system?

1 Like

Hi there @TM1972 !
We hope you’re doing okay?
Yes, there has been so much in the news as of late regarding potential covid vaccines hasn’t there? As you say, one of the most important things for our blood cancer community to know is how safe and effective it will be for you all.
And we do hope as we come to find out more about such vaccines, we will be in a much stronger position to answer such vital questions with greater confidence and certainty. We will of course we be sure to keep our community posted on any updates and new information on our website and across our social media channels- as we continue to monitor the situation.

We can appreciate news like this can up a whole range of different emotions and feelings, we hope you’re feeling and have support around you?

Su

3 Likes

The million dollar question we all want the answer to @TM1972.
My thoughts personally are:
Can blood cancer patients even take the vaccines?
I believe that the different vaccines being tested use different methods of combating the virus so we might be able to have some and not others
I worry the sample size of people used for the clinical trials is relatively small in the scheme of things, so not include blood cancer patients or people with compromised or immunosuppressed systems.
Personally I am concerned these vaccines are being rushed too much to be licenced for use and we do not know enough about the longer term side effects.
Let’s hope when the different clinical trials are published we will know more.
I am sure Blood Cancer UK will keep us informed and if in doubt we should check with our medical teams.
I await others thoughts.

1 Like

No we won’t get it.
From what I read this morning it won’t be suitable for people with reduced immune systems.
There is ongoing research to produce a vaccine that will produce long lasting (6months) antibodies to protect us.
I don’t think we are high priority.

1 Like

Watch this space! I’ll be interested to see what comes of it!

1 Like

I’ve heard conflicting opinions on this. Some of the “experts” are saying that people like us will be a priority and that these vaccines are suitable whilst others are being more cautious. I’ll await an official ruling on it but if I’m offered a vaccine I will take it and try to get some normality back in my life.

3 Likes

I saw a news article yesterday which said a vaccine that will be suitable for people with poor immune systems is being trialled and may be ready by the spring. Something to hope for maybe.

2 Likes

Yes. I too have read about Astrazeneca’s antibody “treatment” for which Phase 3 trials have just started.
See here:

2 Likes

Thanks so much for this information, we await. How are you doing in lockdown?

1 Like

Thank you for this @gboscherini. A really interesting article, giving everyone on here hope.

2 Likes

Hi all, just wanted to say that this blog re the Covid-19 vaccine has been published by Blood Cancer UK today - The coronavirus vaccine: what people with blood cancer need to know | Blood Cancer UK

2 Likes

Thanks @Alice_BloodCancerUK, just what is needed and in a form I can understand.

Thanks Alice. This is really helpful and has answered many of my questions. I watched Dr Tim Spector webinar yesterday and his co-host Prof Peter Openshaw suggested the RNA vaccines such as Moderna and Biontech will be better for blood cancer patients. Will await further advice from the experts…

I agree, thanks Alice.
This is a really helpful document, which is very easy to understand and supports the information that we have been receiving from our medical team in Oxford.
I am hoping that SAGE will ensure that the blood cancer community receives the appropriate vaccination (i.e. non live) asap, so that we can all revaluate the continuing need for “shielding”.
We look forward to receiving your updates.

2 Likes

Hi @nottmac, a warm welcome to our forum and yes, @Alice_BloodCancerUK has given us a link to some useful information and now we await developments.
We are all here to support each other on this forum and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact our Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
As you say we await updates.
How are you doing?

1 Like

A little off topic. but I can‘t help thinking that the FDA‘s response is like the Pontypool front row - getting their retaliatiuon in early (over chlorinated chicken). (Different subcommittee I know, but still FDA.) :wink:

1 Like

Has anyone else got any thoughts about the vaccine news?

1 Like

Yes agree, I have CLL and understand that the Covid19 vaccine is a dead one and should be ok. We must be patient and follow medical advice. Until we can be offered some protection, my husband and I will continue to stay away from people, wash our hands and wear our masks.

4 Likes

Hi @Kitchengardener2, sounds sensible to me!!!

1 Like

I would just like to know if the Oxford one is live or not?
So many different views on this one.

1 Like