COVID vaccine and NHS staff

Several of todays papers lead with “ NHS workers not to be first to be given the new vaccine”
The very people who have been in the front line dealing with the virus, and have lost many lives in the process are now being sidelined.
What lunacy!!
This decision has no doubt been made at the highest level by the troop of clowns that govern this country led by an egotistical clown.
It beggars believe.
MI5 advise that storage facilities should be kept secret, that’s a joke, the 50 hospital trusts where deliveries will be made were made public yesterday!!

1 Like

It just doesn’t make sense. I have no words!

1 Like

I agree, it doesn’t make any sense at all.
I was horrified when I read it.
I had to hold my temper in check after reading the headlines in relation to this.
There will no doubt be enormous problems even giving the vaccine to anyone.
Look at the much vaunted Track and Trace system and the failure in testing, very good examples of the government’s incompetence, they couldn’t organise a
p*** up in a brewery

2 Likes

Hi @Blackhat and @Nichola75 ,

We do hope you’re both doing okay? We can completely appreciate peoples’ concerns and questions around this, and we want to reassure- we’re continuously monitoring the situation and will of course continue to do all we can to support the needs of our blood cancer community.

But please do keep on reaching out on here- and we shall be sure to keep you all posted on any updates and new information on the forum, our social media channels as well as our main website too.

Take care,
Su

2 Likes

All ok thanks @SuBloodcancerUK. I just would’ve thought nhs workers would’ve been higher on the list :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

I’m ok thanks Su, I agree with Nicola.
Front line health care workers in the NHS are a priority and should be the first in line.
53 NHS trusts are receiving deliveries of the vaccine this weekend and it’s only common sense that the first vaccines should be given to them as they are on the premises where the vaccines are in place.
Care home treatment is important but it will take a considerable time for the residents to be treated.
The vaccines are in batches of 925 to be kept at minus 70 degrees which cannot be split and I very much doubt if care homes have the facilities to store them at that level.
It will take some weeks for the logistics to deliver and administer these to be worked out. My own trust is at present advertising for nurses to administer the vaccine or to be trained to do so.
They of course will be put at risk if they have not received the vaccine first.
I’m on chemotherapy all next week and it’s alarming that I will be treated by nurses who are at risk themselves.
It’s well known that many front line staff and inpatients have already contracted COVID, inpatients hospitalised for completely different ailments.
Those of us who have reduced immune systems will not be suitable candidates for the present vaccine as in won’t work for us in its present form.
We will have to wait for the antibody vaccine that is being developed.
A third wave is being predicted after the the proposed relaxation of restrictions over Christmas that will bring the NHS to its knees.

2 Likes

Dear Su,
Thanks for the link.
Immunosuppressed are to be given the vaccine, I read previously that it wasn’t suitable for those of who are.
I gave my Health Centre a call, they are completely in the dark on what’s happening with vaccination procedures.
Incidentally nurses at the hospital I attend have started to be vaccinated today👍🏻

2 Likes

Hi @Blackhat, it will be interesting if you hear any more when you go to your hospital, please let us know.

1 Like

I certainly will…
Light at the end of the tunnel maybe🤞

1 Like

I have had my vaccine today as a both a clinically vulnerable and NHS worker. I also saw other members of staff having the vaccine that aren’t CEV.

2 Likes

Ho @Marie and welcome to the forum. It’s brilliant that your first post brings great news with it! It’s so good to hear! How did you feel? Hope you have been well?

1 Like

Dear Su,
I’ve just read advice on MDS Support site which states that the present vaccine is not suitable for immunosuppressed blood cancer patients.
This conflicts with the information that you posted listing all who should receive the vaccine which includes those of us with reduced immune systems.
Can you clarify please?

Anthony

Hi, apart from a slightly aching arm and a slight temp which was helped by paracetamol I am fine. I’ll be having my next dose at the beginning of January. Hopefully then I’ll be able to start planning returning to my role as the hospital at the moment are supporting us to work from home or stay at home.

1 Like

Hopefully the new year will allow that to happen. It’s good to hear you are being supported to work from home but understand how it will be great for you to return to the amazing NHS! You take care of yourself and keep us posted X

1 Like

Hi @Marie, a very warm welcome to the forum and thanks so much for posting you vaccination experience, This is what the forum is all about, sharing experiences and supporting each other.
It would be interesting to hear your progress and how it goes in January with your NHS role.
As an aside on the Blood Cancer UK Facebook page they are asking for anyone with blood cancer that has received a vaccine and are willing to share their story to contact them, either via that page or by email on support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Take care and stay safe.

1 Like

@Blackhat

Hi Anthony, I hope you are doing ok?

It is great that you are reviewing information about the safety and effectiveness of the coronavirus vaccine to make an informed decision. It looks like much of the information from the MDS Support update yesterday is very similar to our update The coronavirus vaccine: what people with blood cancer need to know | Blood Cancer UK.

In terms of the safety of the vaccine for people with blood cancer, although the vaccines have not been specifically tested on people with blood cancer, the trials have involved large numbers of people, including older people (who have weaker immune systems) and people with some other long-term health conditions. As there were no serious adverse effects in this large number of people, it is reasonable to think the vaccines are safe, including for people with blood cancer. We agree with MDS UK that “The current thinking is that the vaccine should be safe for blood cancer patients, because of the nature of the products”.

In terms of the effectiveness of the vaccine for people with blood cancer, this is something that will be monitored as the vaccine is rolled out. We agree with MDS UK when they say “Some patients receive treatments that lower the immune system. It may be that even for these patients, it may be advisable to have the vaccine, as it may offer some protection after all.”

In summary, we think the vaccine is likely to be safe for blood cancer patients. We don’t know how effective it will be for them if their immune systems are impaired, but this is similar to the flu vaccine. Although the immune response to the vaccine may not be as strong in someone with blood cancer, there could still be a response, and some protection is better than none.

The Medicines and Health Regulatory Authority (MHRA) and Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisation (JCVI) confirmed that the Pfizer vaccine is safe for people who are immunocompromised, and this would apply to people affected by different types of blood cancer. There is additional information on our page linked above about specific considerations for people who have recently received a stem cell transplant and a few other treatments. I hope that helps, Anthony? As always, the forum and Support Services Team are always here- so please do keep reaching out,

Warmest wishes from us all in the team,

Su

2 Likes

Dear Sue,
A bit more advice please,
Last night I received a text from my medical practice advising me that they were starting the roll out of the COVID vaccine on 23/12 and I should expect to hear
from them sometime after this date to be included.
They say not to contact the practice regarding this until I hear from them.
I have Myelodisplasia RAEB 2 and am on chemotherapy 5 days in every 28.
I have been told by my clinic that the yearly flu vaccine should only be administered
just after my pre chemo b/t when my blood levels
are at their highest.
Presumably the same will apply to the Covid-19 vaccine, as 2 doses are needed 21–28 days apart this will cause me some difficulties.
My immune system is severely depleted and it’s the monthly treatment of Azacitidine that are keeping me alive. Last week I completed cycle 78
I’ve no wish to possibly jeopardise my treatment with a vaccine that has not been trialed on patients like myself.
I have written to the clinic sister to check with my haematologist if I should take up the offer of the vaccine.
I have read articles where some doctors have said it’s probably better to have the vaccine than not with regard to immunosuppressed cancer patients, which is a general statement which does not take into consideration the condition of each patient.
Any further advice you can give me will be gratefully received.

1 Like

@Blackhat

Hi Anthony,

I hope you’re okay? And it’s good to hear your medical practice are keeping you informed about what to expect with the vaccine roll out. Though Anthony, you’re definitely right to be checking this and it’s understandable to be asking, given like you say- the advice you’ve previously been given about the flu jab in relation to your chemotherapy treatment and the timings of the cycles too.

We would’ve definitely strongly encouraged speaking to your treatment team for more tailored guidance specific to you as an individual, so it’s really good to hear you’ve already written to the clinic sister to check in with your haematologist. Please do let us know how you get there.

As you touch on Anthony, there are many different types of conditions and treatments, amongst many other factors to consider- and hope our vaccine blog we included in our previous post was helpful to you? We completely appreciate people may have a range of different feelings about such vaccines, which is why we wrote the blog to address these based on what we know so far, particularly in sections “Will the vaccine be effective for people with blood cancer?”, “Is it safe for people with blood cancer to have the vaccine?” and “Are there any treatments which might mean that I wouldn’t respond to the vaccine?

Hope this helps Anthony, but as always, the forum and the Support Services Team are always here if you ever need further support.

Take care and hope all goes okay with talking to your haematologist,

Su

2 Likes

Hi @Blackhat, you really demonstrate so clearly how individual each of our situations is.
Also probably our surgeries are contacting us just because we are classed as vulnerable for age or condition reasons.
Also which vaccine is applicable or best for each of us.
Therefore I think the blanket advice needs clarifying with our medical teams.
I am just getting more and more confused.
I await.
Take care.

1 Like