Vaccine: bumped up the queue!

I’ve just seen the wonderful news that we’ve been bumped up the virtual queue for a COVID vaccine! Such wonderful news and huge thanks to everyone at Blood Cancer UK working tirelessly on our behalf. I know the priority list isn’t finalized and no vaccine is approved as yet, but this is good news for us. So grateful to Gemma Peters and her team. Thank you!

4 Likes

Hear, hear a great big thank you to all at Blood Cancer UK for your tireless campaigning and keeping us all in the loop.

5 Likes

Yep - echo what everybody else has said. Thank you X

3 Likes

Likewise just noticed that news too and feels a relief - better days ahead all!

4 Likes

Yes, thanks for pressing this issue.
However, having had a SCT I have been told I cannot have any live vaccines.
Are the vaccines on offer live or dead?

2 Likes

Hi @Corfu80, I am also reading conflicting opinions whether the vaccines are live or dead and whether they are appropriate for blood cancer patients and in what doses. We await, I am sure Blood Cancer UK will inform us when the answers come out.

1 Like

Hi All,
Contacted my consultant re vaccine.
She said yes I needed a ‘non-live’ vaccine.
She also said as I was on the yearly flu list I would be contacted.
I checked that I was, as some years they contact me & others I get left off!

My GP surgery issued a statement this week stating that they weren’t expecting the vaccine until after Christmas, even though the surgery in the next village has been inoculating this week.

Roll on the vaccine!

Can’t wait until I’ve had it & all the residents & staff at my 87 yr old Mum’s care home have had it. Then I can go in & give her a great big cuddle! Miss her so much.
Anyway Happy, Healthy& Safe Christmas & 2021.
Christine

2 Likes

Keep thinking of that cuddle!

1 Like

Oh @Corfu80, hold that thought of a cuddle, it sounds good to me.

1 Like

The end is temptingly in sight but like when I was having treatment I can’t allow myself to think of that time until it has actually happened. Great news that our status gives us some kudos though given we took the shielding hit for everyone. Blood Cancer UK have shown great leadership throughout this year.

2 Likes

Hi @Franko, yes, Blood Cancer UK have shown great leadership, information and support in this very difficult year.
Has anyone out there had the vaccine and what have their experiences been, I would like to know and so would Blood Cancer UK?

1 Like

Thank you Blood cancer UK.
I echo the same as others.

1 Like

@Cazzie, how are you and how do you feel about the vaccine.

Hi I’m fine thank you.
Sheilding, sheilding, sheilding! I’m tier 4.
As most people I was looking forward to being with another human being…but hey ho!.
Im counting down the days in preparation for receiving the vaccine…it will mentally set me free, being able for me to go out meet family , all with still being careful.
It is very scary times we are in, especially with the new variant strain.
We will all get through I’m sure as we have throughout our blood cancer journey.
All I can say is…put on your emotional life jackets and help keep everyone afloat.
Have a safe christmas, keep safe.
X

1 Like

Hi @Cazzie. How was your christmas?

1 Like

Hi there I’m new to this forum so I’m only just learning how to write etc but I love what you said and to me the greatest things I’m missing because it’s covered and I leukaemia cuddling my children and grandchildren I lost my wife to leukaemia 2-years 9 months ago and without a cuddle life’s not worth living I’m so glad you’re better cuddle your mum soon

1 Like

Hi @Bobby, I am so glad you have found our forum, yes, I think the missing of social interaction and cuddles is the worst part of the lockdowns.
I am so sorry to hear that you lost your wife to leukaemia and the lockdowns must make your loss even worse. You must also really miss your children and grandchildren.
We are supporting each other through these times on this forum and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
I look forward to hearing more about you,
Take care and stay safe, that is the most important thing.

Hi @Bobby
Glad you’ve found the forum. We cover all sorts of things.
Make sure to have a good read. Post whenever you want to add your tupenneth.
I’m still not sure I’m using the forum as it should be used.
Yes, cuddles are the worst thing to miss.
My 6’3” 33 yr old son still cuddles me, well normally! We had our last cuddle in October when my husband had a heart attack. I also had my first cuddle from my daughter-in-law since March.
Granny cuddles are the best though! I had one in June & one in, well before the 2nd Lockdown, whenever that was?
I’m getting a puppy next week, so I’ll hopefully have lots of puppy cuddles. You can see my photos somewhere on here.
Stay in touch.
Christine

2 Likes

Hi @Corfu80, I think you use this forum absolutely brilliantly, keep posting and puppy photos will be wonderful.

1 Like

I’m slightly confused about the logic of the vaccine rollout. They clearly haven’t done all of the over 80’s yet or carers. My landlord and I both have the same GP and both fall in the 4th group as he is over 70 but he has been called in for his first jab and I haven’t. I wasn’t expecting it just yet but am slightly anxious now in case I get accidentally missed. Having said that the amount of people they did this week was really impressive and I even think they might hit their 15 million target by mid February.

2 Likes