Vaccine for Covid-19

Just a concern… if we are to have the vaccine does it cause our platelets to rise as we produce antibodies
As I live with my elderly mum if she gets vaccinated first…she is 86 she fears she could give me the virus and want a to get vaccinated when I do.

2 Likes

Hi @Hmc63. There are so many questions around this aren’t there! Also, so many articles etc. However, I will still need that clarification from my team. So, when I get offered the vaccine I’ll be contacting my consultant. Has your team offered any advice? There is also a question and answer session on the 6th January, ‘Ask the Experts - COVID 19 Vaccines’ Also, Blood Cancer Uk have an updated blog with vaccine information. I know that doesn’t give you the answers now, but the blog might be worth a read and the the date definitely worth saving. I hope you and your mum are well?

3 Likes

Hi @Hmc63, I can really understand yours and your mum’s concerns. I think they are concerns we all have.
I am waiting till I get offered the vaccine and then I will ask someone in my medical team.
I was so touched that your mum is so thoughtful as to say she fears if she gets the vaccination first she could give you the virus. That is another question for her or your GP or medical team when one of you is offered the vaccine.
Thanks for your post I expect you have asked questions others will also want ansers too and please let us the outcome.
Take care of yourselves.

4 Likes

Yes. We’re all in a waiting game to see what happens. 2021 will be a very different year.

4 Likes

Let’s hope so @Franko, it will be interesting to see how the vaccination programme rolls out.
Please let us and Blood Cancer UK your experiences.

3 Likes

I’m just waiting to be offered the vaccine. I’m post transplant AML. But whatever the Doctor/consultant tells me, I will do. I hope everything goes well for you.

1 Like

Great to hear from you @Clilau1960, please let us know when you get the vaccine.
Take care and don’t forget we will be supporting each other through the holiday period and beyond on this forum.
Anyone else heard about their vaccinations?

Let’s hope it’s soon @Clilau1960.

1 Like

Could I wish all of those involved in any way with Blood Cancer UK, staff and contributors, a very Merry Xmas and Hogmany. You have all made 2020 better, and 2021 more hopefull. Ron

4 Likes

Hi @Vindicatrix we are truly a supportive forum here which I really value as a safe place for me to really be me and say how it is being me.
Whatever 2021 holds we will support each other through it.

1 Like

Hi everybody. Di anybody sign up for the uestion and answer session around the vaccine.
I’m looking forward to it and have submitted my questions!

1 Like

About vaccination with ET, I have had one jab and my ET was not affected. But I have other problems. My haemoglobin is getting lower and lower… jumbo4

2 Likes

Hi @jumbo4, thanks for letting us know about your vaccination experience, I think this is what we need, first hand experiences. support@bloodcancer.org.uk are also trying to get information from people who have been vaccinated if you would like to let them know.
Has anyone else been vaccinated or not yet?

Hi @jumbo4. I wondered when you second jab was due and if you had received any news regarding the suggest extension of time between each dose?

1 Like

Really useful to hear this experience as I’ll be some way down the list of priority due to my age. We’ll all get there eventually and hopefully these vaccinations will bring back some normality.

1 Like

I’ve been offered the vaccination at work as I work for NHS but im waiting to speak to my consultant in the next week or so first. Now I am shielding I hope I’m not forgotten or pushed aside for it.

1 Like

Hi @Emmaco, you make sure you are not forgotten.

Yes I will keep in touch with my manager at work whilst I’m shielding. Although I did miss a phone call today saying I had one booked for the 7th of January but its been cancelled now for few weeks. Didnt even know about it.

1 Like

Hi @Emmaco, yes, the situation is changing so quickly at least we know we are shielding now. Take care and I agree it is worth keeping in touch with your manager, take care and stay safe.

Hello, some really good questions on here and thank you to @Nichola75 for the reminder about the Covid-19 vaccine Q&A! Ask the Experts: Blood Cancer and COVID-19 Vaccines (facebook.com)

You might have all seen this already but here’s our updated page on the Covid-19 vaccines and what we know so far about what they mean for people with blood cancer - Covid vaccine for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK
and also our web-page on Covid vaccine and cancer treatment | Blood Cancer UK
Though as you all know, your clinical teams will always be best placed to speak to for any questions you have around your individual circumstances.

2 Likes