A Good News Update That I Wanted To Share

Hi fellow forum friends. Hope that you all have had a good start to the week.

Yesterday, I was down for a Haematology Appointment in Inverness.

I’ve been receiving Adult Disability Payment (Scottish Equivalent of PIP) and I asked my Consultant for a form of words that I should use to update Social Security Scotland.

What came next is something that I’ve never heard on my cancer journey so far.

She said an appropriate words at this time would be that in remission and hoping for a long term cure (2 to 5 years relapse free)

Hearing R word for the first time had both my wife and I buzzing when we left the clinic.

It feels like a very positive step forward and of course we both know that on the blood cancer rollercoaster things can change.

We took the opportunity to have a really nice lunch to celebrate.

We will continue living day by day and appreciating the simple pleasures.

From where it started almost 3 years ago, treatments that didn’t deliver the results hoped for, transplant and recovery from transplant, it felt like a milestone to be celebrated.

My hope is that this post will provide encouragement to others whatever stage they or someone they are supporting is on their blood cancer journey.

8 Likes

Hi @DuncanB,

Well, this post has made my evening! Such lovely news, and I’m really happy for you both. Hearing the word remission for the first time after nearly three years of treatment, transplant and everything that came with it must have felt huge - no wonder you were buzzing!

A nice lunch sounds like exactly the right way to mark it. Hope the food was extra good?

Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

Ceri :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Thank you @Ceri_BloodCancerUK

The food was very nice. Place we went to is our favourite in Inverness.

Carrot and Coriander Soup followed by Sea Bass Fillet on a base of butternut risotto.

Caeser salad followed by Chicken Roasted Vegetables and potato in a red wine jus for my wife

4 Likes

Oh @DuncanB that is good news and your celebration lunch sounds yummy.

It is hot chocolate time for me soon and I shall raise my mug to you tonight,

3 Likes

Thanks @Erica

Enjoy your hot chocolate :grinning_face:

3 Likes

Brilliant news a week of great news for us both :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Definitely is @Jules

Take care :grinning_face:

2 Likes

@DuncanB that’s fantastic news :blush:
Celebratory meal yummy
Long may you be in remission

2 Likes

Thanks @2DB

Definitely a yummy meal :face_savoring_food:

Hope you’re doing okay

1 Like

Aww @DuncanB, this is such excellent news! Sincere congratulations, I’m really so happy for you. Hearing the R word must be incredible, and a real testament to how much you and your body have gone through to reach it.

All in 3 years! Most definitely a milestone and I’m so chuffed for you. I bet your retirement looks rosier now!