A place to share our ways of managing fears and anxieties

Me and my head can be like a washing machine with fears and anxieties whizzing around and escalating onto fast spin.
I was thinking on my early morning walk today, with my music playing in my ears, that my fears and anxieties were not going round and round in my head.
I was just singing along contentedly, enjoying being nosey and with nature.
I am useless with meditation and yoga, but I am a pilates girl. I really concentrate and get absorbed with my core and the exercises otherwise I would do myself a mischief so my fears and anxieties haven’t got room in my mind.
A lovely hot bubbly bath is relaxing for me.
Keeping myself in the moment and not projecting, usually to the worst scenario, is my work in progress at the moment.
I love my music and a beautiful song came on today which really relaxed and chilled me out, it was Why Worry by Dire Straits.
Has anyone else got any handy hints to help us?

5 Likes

Hi @Erica. This was a really nice post to read. Firstly because it was lovely to hear you were having time where your mind was calm and relaxed, and secondly to read about the things you do which are such good self care activities.
It’s taken me a while to really understand why that time of peace and tranquility is needed and even longer to find something that works me.
Swimming has become my saviour. I go at least four times a week (more in school holidays) and swim lengths for an hour. I’m to busy counting my lengths and watching others to worry about anything. This is followed by a coffee in the cafe where I really feel relaxed. I only realised how much I missed it - and the benefits to my mental well-being when I missed it due to being to busy at work. From that moment on I have never been to busy for it.
It will be really interesting what others do to achieve calm as we all know only to well how our worries and anxieties can spiral out of control really quickly.
Thanks for starting the post :blush:

3 Likes

Hi @Erica , I do know what you mean my head also sometimes feels like a washing machine with worries spinning around! I also find walks in nature really help me when I am anxious. I especially love being able to get out into the countryside and climb hills then look out over the views, it seems to allow both my mind and body to expand. I do find mediation has helped me, I do a weekly group mediation on zoom which has been a lovely way to connect with other people. I also love to dance, I do zumba and other dance exercise online. In my 62 year I’m think spinning around with one of the stunning dancers on strictly come dancing! At the beginning of the pandemic I realised the negative effect that certain types of TV had on my mind particularly last thing at night. Now I make sure to watch only things which help me to switch off such as relaxing films or dramas or else I read. @Nichola75 you have reminded me that I do also enjoy swimming although I do find it harder plunge into the cold water in the winter.

3 Likes

Hi @Kirsteen. Swimming is much harder in the winter but I’ve been drying my hair and having a nice coffee in the cafe before I brave the outside world again. It’s helped with it being quite mild for this time of year. If the temperature suddenly drops check in with me and see if I’m still as optimistic!:joy:
You’ve got some great stuff there. It’s good that you can recognise what impacts in a good nights sleep and have adjusted your routine to relax before bedtime. It’s still something I’m working on.
I’ve always wanted to try Zumba so I might look into it this year.
Take care X

2 Likes

Hi @Nichola75 and @Kirsteen I think drying your hair and having a nice coffee after swimming is also about taking that extra time and doing something special for yourself, you are worth it as the saying goes.

1 Like

@Kirsteen pre Covid I used to do frequent Zumba and other Latin/Spanish dance classes at the gym I was a member of, I had never danced before.
I loved it because I was in my late 60’s, I didn’t care what I looked like and our routines were without partners.
Strictly definitely influenced me too with my ‘lines and postures’.
I will admit to the odd fantasy with Alijaz.
Since Covid I am walking instead to get my exercise and as you say I also share your benefits of it.
I used to go swimming @Kirsteen and @Nichola75 too but at the time the doctors felt it was not good for my osteoporosis and spine curvature, although I think the medical opinion has changed on that now.
I think it is the exercise and psychological benefits that are the important aspects and the 3 of us are doing our bit.

1 Like

We definitely are and will have to make sure we carry it on this year @Kirsteen abd @Erica :blush:

1 Like