Acute Myeloid Leukemia and Venetolax /Azacitidine Treatment

Hi , my 75 year old dad has just been diagnosed with Acute Myeloid Leukemia and will shortly start on the combination of Venetolax with Azacitidine. Just was wondering/ hoping if anyone has positive/successful experiences of taking this ? Many thanks

1 Like

Hi @Adele and welcome to the forum. I’m glad you found us. How are you doing, and your dad? You must all be in shock? I have a different blood cancer but I know there will be many on here who can share their experiences with you. Remember the support line is also there if you have any questions or need advice and support - both you and your dad. Keep sharing and remember, you’re never alone on here X

1 Like

Thankyou so much for your kind words. We are all in shock but trying to be positive as much as possible and stay strong. Just hoping to hear some good things about the treatment my dad is going to start . Thanks again

2 Likes

Hi @Adele,
Thank you for sharing this. I am so very sorry to hear of your dads recent diagnosis i do hope you & the family are coping okay?
It is understandable that you are keen to hear from others who have been through similar treatments and in fact that can be really valuable. It is very likely some of our forum community will be able to share things with you.
May i ask how your dad is doing? Does he have a start date for treatment yet?
In case it is useful to you or your dad we do have a great booklet which offers some practical steps after someone is just diagnosed- Your blood cancer diagnosis: What happens now? | Blood Cancer UK Shop

It can often be valuable asking his clinical nurse team if they have any patient insight and feedback on others going through similar regimes or indeed your dads local haematology unit may also have a cancer support centre which often offers peer to peer support.

In case it is also useful Adele, we know that Leukaemia Care can offer a buddy system should this be something your dad would be interested in- Support and information - Leukaemia Care

As others have mentioned, please do know that our support line is open 7 days should you wish to ever just talk things through- Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK

Do Take Care, Lauran

3 Likes

Thankyou so much for your advice. He starts chemo next week so I am definitely going to ask the chemo nurse about the chemo regime and how other people have found it. I’m also going to order the leaflet on Acute Myeloid Leukaemia. Dad feels ok in himself at the momentbut we are all in shock . I’m just trying to be positive and practical for my dad, Thankyou both again for taking the time to email me.

4 Likes

Hi @Adele perhaps it might help both of you to be able to talk about how you are both thinking and feeling.
If you can or can’t you have got our forum to be able to say how it really is for you, we are here for you and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you.
Look after and be kind to yourselves

1 Like

Just take a day at a time x

1 Like

Hi Adele, my mum who is 74 years old was also diagnosed just over 10 days ago and started the same treatment as your dad this week. Please reach out if you want to talk these through as we seem to be going through the same thing at the moment

2 Likes

Hi @Miamoo I am so glad that you have found us so soon after your mum’s diagnosis, what shock you must both be in.
How are you all coping?
As I often say on here the relatives/carers are on the same rollercoaster of emotions and journey as the patient, but people do not often ask about them…
We are here for you on our forum and if you would like to talk to someone the Blood Cancer UK support line is there for you…
It sounds as if your mum is being looked after so please look after yourself too, you have an exhausting role.
Be kind to yourself and please keep posting I look forward to hearing more about you.

2 Likes

Hi @Adele I have been thinking about you and your dad.
How are you both ?
Take care of yourselves

1 Like

Hello, Thankyou both for your message. My dad started on the Azacitidine Injections last week but unfortunately got an infection and was admitted to hospital. But he still continued his chemo injections whilst in hospital and finished the first course yesterday and is back home. Whilst having an injection this week he got talking to another patient who was on their fifth month of Azazitidine and doing fine so I think that really helped my dad to hear that . Take care xx

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, glad to hear your dad is doing well and is at home. Wishing you all the best x

2 Likes

Hi @Adele thanks for updating us on your dad.
How are you doing?
Look after yourselves

1 Like

Hi @Miamoo I have been thinking of you and just wondered how you and your mum are doing?

1 Like