Advice on Supermarket Deliveries

Thanks for your welcome(s) Erica and Alice. I’m doing as well as can be expected - less than 3 weeks into the 12 wk (min.) period of solitary confinement - well, not quite solitary as my wife (older but fitter than me) is in the same boat.

b

2 Likes

Hi @Clilau1960, it’s really good to hear you’ve got helpful friends and family but it’s totally understandable that you feel it’d be good to also get the support from the supermarkets too! Many people are saying that supermarkets have emailed them offering priority slots but this doesn’t seem to be the case for many and so there definitely seem to be some inconsistencies still, something that we as an organisation are definitely trying to push for change around.

In case it’s helpful at all for you, there’s some information on this page of our website about support with things like getting groceries, including the contact numbers to use and also, information around a Watsapp help service the government has set up - https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/coronavirus-covid-19/looking-after-yourself--staying-home-shielding/.
There’s also this website https://covidmutualaid.org/ that people can use if they need more support, as it lists local support and community groups in the local area, which are supporting vulnerable high risk people at this time.

2 Likes

Thank you so much for the info. Yes you are right about the supermarkets, I don’t think they have reached out to all the vulnerable people who actually have online shopping accounts with them. I’ve been with asda for about 6 or 7 years. Anyway I hope you and Erica stay well and safe, same goes for everyone in this blood cancer group.

2 Likes

Hi, David.
** I have not found the situation to be improving.**
One can’t register as new customer with supermarkets.
I’m registered with Waitrose, who do not recognise me as an extremely vulnerable person nor do they have any available slots until 6 July!
Their customer line is automated and does not offer any solution.
Could you have a word with them?
Yours, Giuseppe

1 Like

Hi, welcome to our community forum, yes, it appears as difficult to get an online delivery even if you are registered as vulnerable and an existing on line customer. How are you doing and feeling, we are here to support each other through these unprecedented times…

I haven’t been very lucky getting a delivery slot so am still reliant on friends and nipping out early in the morning to beat the crowds. It could be a long 12 weeks… 3 weeks in though and I’ve had difficult times before so we’ll see where we end up :slight_smile:

1 Like

Please don’t “nip out”. It just takes one contact with one person to catch the bug. And we don’t want to be catching it. Tho some of us will get over it just fine we are at a higher risk of being hospitalised.

1 Like

I completely understand how stressful it is. I was so excited when I got my slot - like a weight had been lifted! Asda are really good. Once they email you can book a recurring slot every week which goes up to October. They seem to have been the best so far. They were taking new registrations a couple of weeks ago. Maybe worth a try?

2 Likes

Hi @gboscherini , a big welcome to the forum, thank you so much for posting. And I’m so sorry to hear of the ongoing difficulties you have been experiencing with this. What message do you get when you are put through the automated line?

1 Like

Hi everyone,

Just a message to you all, we are so sorry to hear that many of you are still facing challenges securing food deliveries. We hope we can reassure you that we are continuously looking into the matter and will continue to do so, to make sure you all get the support that you need whilst keeping safe at home. We will keep updating our website and social media channels. Once again, we’re so sorry to of hear the difficulties people have faced at an already uncertain time. Please take care in the meantime, and use the forum as a space to share any worries and concerns, and we will keep you posted.

Su

1 Like

Thanks for such kind comments as to help and support for us - it is so frustrating not to get help from supermarkets - understand they are thrown into a difficult situation BUT! I am one that had my consultant letter 27 March the NHS England letter 2 April GP confirmation same time twice registered on Govt list - still my NHS number not showing me vulnerable and got nowhere with trying helplines - four weeke home shielding thank goodness for loyal kind supportive friends!! Appreciate all the work done by Blood Cancer UK

1 Like

Hi @Jilly20 a huge welcome to our community forum! :slight_smile: it’s lovely to have you join us :+1: From your message, I can hear how frustrating things have been for you. Especially, as you say, you have had confirmation of where you stand with your health from multiple sources- from quite earlier too. And I’m so sorry to hear of your experience of not being able to get through to various helplines. Have you been able to try the government helpline at all? In addition, is your consultant and your GP aware of your NHS number not showing up?

1 Like

Hi Jilly, join the club, we are all here to support each other through these times. I also realise how much time and stress trying to get an on line slot is causing, not but me, but so, so many of us and I also had a chuckle when I read @Nichola75 and others post their feelings of elation when they actually get a slot, I know that feeling so well too. Do you know I have also felt quite tearful over this and if it hadn’t been the other similar posts and support on our forum I don’t know how I would be if I were in isolation on my own. Take care and keep posting how you are.

1 Like

Very true Erica - have felt the same quite weepy on it despite having what I need via friends!! I guess like everyone we all gone into this situation quickly and “normal” life on hold- i think not being able to shop is just an indication of that so upsets us and just the frustration of not being able to get thro. I laugh as in “normal” life i work in a busy legal office and used to long waits on fones for govt depts and trying to get assistance etc so I feel for ones who are not used to never ending fone calls!

3 Likes

It’s good to hear your friends are helping you out @Jilly20, although it’s totally understandable that you’re feeling like this about the situation. It sounds incredibly frustrating!

Have any of you had any luck with a delivery slot yet?

1 Like

No I have given up for now!! Too stressful and frustrating! Morrisons are stars however- they do food boxes of various types - you dont pick the contents but its enough for couple weeks - so ordered one yesterday and it was delivered this morning by courier and is lovely! Excellent stock and quality - may be worth anyone struggling knowing about- worth the money and next day delivery!

1 Like

@Jilly20 thank you so much for letting us know about this! Really glad you have found something that works for now. I think it’ll be really handy for other people to know about too. Hope you’re doing alright!

1 Like

Anyone still struggling to get deliveries? Morrisons seems to be helping in a different way to some of the others. They have opened up ordinary online slots available to everyone without being on the vulnerable list. And if you can’t get that or indeed can’t get any other delivery they have a new telephone service tailored for elderly and vulnerable people you can try: https://my.morrisons.com/doorstep-deliveries/ and they also have a “food box” which you can order if you dont mind too much what you get. https://www.morrisons.com/food-boxes/

4 Likes

@Adrian Thank you so much for sharing this Adrian! I’m sure it will be a huge help to others! :+1: How is everyone getting on with deliveries?

1 Like

Hi Adrian I got on of the food boxes from Morrisons earlier in the week and they are EXCELLENT really good value for money and jam packed good quality stuff - very well thought out and hats off to that company for thinking "outside the “box” :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: in providing something quick and efficient for people isolating. It comes by courier with constant texts to say when arriving and you can put instructions where to leave it as you cant answer the door - really recommend to anyone still not getting usual delivery slots

2 Likes