Advice on Supermarket Deliveries

I had had my NHS and consultant letters end of March and registered on Govt site couple times - still nothing from any supermarket including Sainsburys who I have been online customer with for years - I had tried their general numbers held on for ages then get cut off, their enquiry number listed on the info site here got straight thro but total disinterest and you just have to wait to hear from us when we get govt list, didnt even take my name to look further - so I gave up 10 days ago - thought yesterday better try again as this situation is going to be longstanding and still no contact any supermarket or govt txt and my account ar Sainsbury stil coming up not recognised as vulnerable customer - used Sainsburys general number 40 mins wait but found a really helpful person took all my details looked up my account “but you are registered as extrememly vulnerable with us for weeks” then “oh dear we put the settings on it incorrectly thats why you cant get in” 5 seconds she sorted and got me a delivery for Sunday. So keep chasing anyone even if you are on wait on the phone for ages its the only way to sort it as the lists arent working well! ! Thanks for all the charity input and appeals to shops I think it has evoked more effort by them and kindness on the fone when you do get thro!!

2 Likes

@Jilly20 it’s so good to hear you have managed to sort this, but of course, I’m so sorry that you have gone through so much. As you say , @Jilly20 , we do really encourage people to keep trying, and we as a charity will equally do everything we can to help :+1:

2 Likes

Thanks Adrian, as always you are a font of all knowledge. @Adrian, @Jilly20, @SuBloodcancerUK these posts really do show how much time and stress we are spending just to get an on line supermarket delivery slot and the elation I also feel if I do get a slot. If all else fails my local council website gives details of a local convenience store and pharmacy which will both deliver their goods.

1 Like

@Erica that’s very reassuring that you have those local options Erica, and really good that they also do deliveries too! As you say, it sounds like there has been so much time and worries being spent in trying to get delivery slots (at an already uncertain and concerning time). But it has been also so encouraging and a tremendous help having people sharing their experiences on here, both positive and less positive). It gives us a really valuable insight into how we can best support you all :+1:

2 Likes

I have HCL (Hairy Cell Leukaemia) and have been trying for the past four weeks to contact Sainsbury’s for on-line deliveries, but I am still not recognised as being eligible for priority deliveries. I have registered on the government web-site. Fortunately friends are doing shopping, and Morrison’s (mentioned by others) are brilliant, offering deliveries of food and household items from a restricted range. Their staff have been excellent, pleasant, kind and efficient. Any suggestions of how to persuade Sainsbury’s that I qualify as vulnerable?

1 Like

Hi Mike, you have joined our community forum at the right time as you can see from the posts above. With Sainsburys I was told on this forum to try 0800 052 5500 sometimes I found it was engaged, others I was not able to hold but sometimes I was in a queue and got through after persisting. I used the words Blood Cancer and that I was registered on the Gov web site. The wonderful Blood Cancer UK support team is available on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you need them. How are you thinking and feeling at these unprecedented times?

Thanks Erica. I will try again. Today I got through to someone at Sainsbury’s, and was led to believe that I was now recognised as vulnerable. The website still says not. How do I feel? Pleased to have a garden, pleased to remain in good health, disappointed with Sainsbury’s, pleased with Morrison’s, grateful for good friends, …

2 Likes

Hi Mike, I also feel the same, I am surprised at my heightened emotions with Sainsburys. Unfortunately I am isolated in a flat, albeit a lovely one, I am very lucky. Friends are priceless, I dread to think what our phone bill will be !! But the main thing is I am safe and you stay safe.

@Mike53 a very warm welcome to the forum! :smiley: I’m so pleased to hear you have very good support from your friends and that Morrisons have helped. It does sound like you have been a lot though, Mike. When you spoke to Sainsburys, did they give any idea of what they would need in order for their website to be updated?

1 Like

Thanks for the welcome to the forum! Until now I have read posts, but not contributed. I was diagnosed with HCL in 2012, with chemo in 2012 and 2018. The person to whom I spoke at Sainsbury’s noted my details, then implied that the problem was because I had not specified card details for payment, and that he could see delivery slots available. I still get the message: “We’re really sorry, but we haven’t been able to identify you as one of our elderly or vulnerable customers based on the information we have.” I shall try again!!

1 Like

@Mike53 We’re really glad you’ve felt comfortable enough to start posting, and share your questions and concerns, and also get to know our community a bit more :slight_smile: ! I’m so sorry to hear you are still getting this message, this must be so frustrating for you. As you say, Mike, do persevere, and let us know how you get on. If still no luck, please do get back in touch and we will see how we can further support you :+1:

1 Like

After Mike posted the above I thought I would recheck my Sainsburys account, after “sorting” it with them on the fone a few days ago(see above posts) and lo and behold mine is now coming up again we dont recognise you as a vulnerable customer - so seems after my delivery today arranged on the fone my account has defaulted back - goodness me I wish they knew how their inefficiency is upsetting people with the message you are not recognised as vulnerable on your account even tho the company on the fone say you are on the list!!??I guess it means when I next need a shop, albeit in a couple of weeks, its back to a long wait on the fone to get someone to do it for me again - there must be patients that dont have the energy for all this!!

1 Like

Hi @gboscherini I think it is patchy, I was hopeful it would have improved by now. I was having a problem for a while and suddenly have been contacted by 3 supermarkets to be a priority. I guess I must have been lucky, but it must have been the registration on the govt site as I did not get the letter. If you have tried everything and it is not working then it is discouraging. Have you tried to ring your local council (I did that and I got a phone call about a week later offering help - by then I was sorted so did not need it). Have you also tried ringing your GP surgery to confirm your status. If all this has failed then another option might be local grocery (But they are expensive). I found quite a few smaller groceries doing deliveries. I do not know if this will work for you, it could be a case of postcode lottery. I hope things get better for people having probs with deliveries.

1 Like

It’s just about calling them I suppose as their may be a computer error. Also worth checking slots as I actually never got a message from them telling me I was on the list but I do get slots appear. But in the meantime Morrison’s might be a good stopgap. I’ve noticed that each week even the vulnerable slots on Sainsburys seem to be becoming harder to find. So we do probably need to try some of the other supermarkets too. Asda has a nice scheme where they offer you the ability to reserve a weekly regular slot which is reassuring. Tesco have a scheme too now. There are also various wholesalers who are doing deliveries now too.

1 Like

I have now had some success! :grinning: I managed to get through to someone at Sainsbury’s this morning on 0800 328 1700 (Option 1) and have placed an order for delivery later this week. The person to whom I spoke could not guarantee that I would be be recognised as vulnerable when I log in in future, and advised ‘phoning again when necessary - as Jilly has also discovered.

4 Likes

So good to hear you’ve had success with getting a delivery! Thank you for sharing that you may need to phone again when necessary, I think that will be helpful for people to be aware of!

How have others been getting on with getting delivery slots this week?

1 Like

Hi Alice, I have actually managed to get a Sainsburys slot, after much persistence checking their site for availability, I am so excited you would think I had won the lottery!!!

1 Like

Hello Everyone. I am now managing to get regular deliveries from Tesco. They have recently updated their grocery App so that priority slots are available for customers that are registered with them as vulnerable. The number to ring to make sure you are recognised as vulnerable is 0800 9177 359. It seems that once they know about you, the priority slots become available on a regular basis.

2 Likes

This is so good to hear @Willow!
Thank you for your advice for others on here.
Hope you’re doing okay.

Take care, Alice

1 Like

I do wonder if on the gov site you have to tick that you cannot get supplies …I ticked that and both Sainburys and Tescos texed me to invite me to use their extremely vulnerable access

2 Likes