Advice on Supermarket Deliveries

Blood Cancer UK (hooray, I used the new title for the first time!), have posted that they have written to the Government and supermarkets on the need to prioritise blood cancer patients for deliveries . See article This is excellent, well done to Gemma and her team for taking this initiative as clearly a lot of people were struggling,

However, it seems the situation is already improving. I am pleased to inform you that Asda have now opened a prirority scheme. I received an email on Saturday inviting me to join the scheme. It allows prirotiy delivery for anyone who is listed as ‘vulnerable’. It offers a free pass enabling:

• Priority on new home delivery slots as they become available

• The chance to book a recurring weekly slot for peace of mind

• Free deliveries.

It seems Sainsbury was quick off the mark to offer priority delivery but this is a sign that the others are now catching up. So if you normally shop with one of the other main supermarkets you may find they are offering a similar scheme.

Note, it is really important that you register with the Government Page if you have not done so already.

I have not yet received the letter or text, so I am fairly sure that I only received this due to registering there.

Stay safe everyone!

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing this @DavidAmbassador! Very useful information.

2 Likes

Thanks David, yes, I received my 1st on line delivery from my usual on line supermarket on Saturday and I agree I would advise we all register at the gov.uk website.

Hi there, I’ve registered and have the letter but no such luck yet. Perhaps it’s just a case or waiting?

2 Likes

Did you give the government website the same address and email address the supermarket has? I would recommend just keeping checking for slots they appear at odd times eg at 7am or just past midnight etc.

1 Like

Hopefully Nichola, seems a bit random at the moment. Fingers crossed. I guess it is the numbers.

1 Like

The main difference Adrian is you will click on the priority pass link then it takes you to the same slots, but you can book recurrent ones from then on, min every week. And you will not be charged delivery even if the order is small. I guess other supermarkets have different systems

1 Like

@Nichola75 thanks for your message hope you’re doing OK! We are aware of a current delay with the processes around the government website and receiving support.
We have some updated information on our website about supermarket slots and deliveries, including numbers to call if you need to get in touch, here - https://bloodcancer.org.uk/support-for-you/coronavirus-covid-19/looking-after-yourself--staying-home-shielding/

Have you tried going on https://covidmutualaid.org/local-groups/ to see if there is any support in your local area? I’ve provided the link in case you feel it might be helpful for you.

1 Like

I have received my letter and text and have registered with the government scheme but still could not get delivery slots on Tesco. Today I rang a Tesco helpline . The lady checked me against the list and said I was not on it. When I told her I had a letter and had blood cancer she has added me. It will take 24hrs to come up so I am yet to see if it helps. Definitely worth checking with the supermarket you use that you are on their list.

3 Likes

Thanks for this information, Barbara, how are feeling and doing in these unprecedented times, Stay safe.

I am fine thanks. We have actually been isolating since the very beginning so have probably done about 5 weeks now. We have some help in our village. I have now arranged online prescriptions to save having to ask anyone to queue for 2 hours at our local pharmacy. I have a veg delivery that had a bit of a hiccup in the beginning but is back again now. The main problem was getting slots for supermarket deliveries and I am hoping that will be better now. We are very lucky to live in a small caring community.
Hope everyone stays safe and well at this very difficult time.

Barbara

2 Likes

Hi Alice,

I was just in the process of phoning the numbers you gave me and an email came through for my priority slot. I was so excited I cried! Thanks so much for all of the information you provided X

3 Likes

Nichola, what a state to get in to be so excited you cried to get a priority slot. I did exactly the same !!!

1 Like

It is isn’t it! I didn’t realise how much stress it had been causing me!

2 Likes

I registered and I went on to the ASDA online shop page and there is no link for vulnerable people. Their customer service is not available.

2 Likes

Hi, Sorry I cannot help you, but please keep posting how you are getting on and feeling, we are all here to support each other through these times.

1 Like

I’m registered on the gov.uk list, but for the time being only Sainsbury’s have let me order a delivery. The reaction is very patchy. It’s not rocket science - supermarkets just have to look in the gov.uk database. I hope they jump to it; Blood Cancer UK’s call should help - for which, thanks.

b

1 Like

Hi Bob, a timely welcome to our community forum. Personally, I believe Sainsburys started to get it’s act together before most other supermarkets, I hear and think there is probably a long way for all supermarkets to go to rise to the capacity of registrations and deliveries needed for the system to really work for all. We are all working in unchartered territory. I also agree a great big thanks for Blood Cancer UK campaigning on our behalves. How are you and how are you doing? Stay safe.

I’m doing OK so far. In 12 week isolation. My brother and nieces have been helping out when they can as they are all still working as well. Would be nice to take the load off them and have a delivery but I’m lucky that I have help available. I worry for those who have cancer but have no family. I hope no one is struggling.

1 Like

Hi @BobK99 it’s really good to hear you’ve managed to order a delivery from Sainsburys. You’re correct in that it’s patchy at the moment and one of the things Blood Cancer UK is calling for is that supermarkets are more consistent in the way they’re all supporting the most vulnerable.
How are you doing at the moment?

1 Like