Antibody test shelf life

I’ve FINALLY had my covid Autumn Booster.
Could I order an antibody test then store it somewhere eg cool place for 14-21 days before I use it, to let vaccine bed in first to give me a more accurate result for my money
@LauranBloodCancerUK @BloodCancerUK-SupportTeam @Erica @Rammie18

2 Likes

Hi @anon06 I have no idea, perhaps you need to ask somebody medical.
I still do not really understand the different types of antibody tests, what you get for your money and how meaningful the results are and how they work with these new Covid strains.

1 Like

Thanks I know what type Ill pay for, just that I wanted to know if I ordered now it arrived 2moro, then could I keep it in a safe place for 14 days before I used it, because that’s how long it takes for vaccine to have full effect and when I see results they will be accurate as they can be. I understand if your not medical just that I wanted to explain further @Erica

1 Like

Hi @anon06. Let us know how you get on with the antibody test :blush:

2 Likes

I will thanks, but if they eg arrived tomorrow could I “store in safe place” ,for 14 days before using. In 14 days vaccine will be fully installed in my system.
@Nichola75

2 Likes

Sorry @anon06. I don’t think that’s a question any of us on this forum can answer for you. Maybe best to ask the manufacturers of the test kit as you don’t want to spend money on it and then for the money to be wasted. Also I am not sure about the 14 days you mention. Might be worth checking that out with someone medical too. I didn’t realise there was an exact timescale for vaccines to take effect. I thought it depended on lots of different factors. These are only my thoughts. I wish you well with it all.
Willow x

3 Likes

Appreciate the reply but to confirm and for benifit of anyone else it was a medical person infact they said 14-21 days. @Willow

2 Likes

Thank you @anon06 for explaining that. All the best, Willow

3 Likes

Hi @anon06 thanks for the explanation, I think @Willow is right it might be worth checking it out with the manufacturer of the kit about shelf life and storage instructions.
Perhaps even what they say about time from your last vaccination before using the kit.
You definitely do not want to waste your money.
It will be interesting to hear the answer.

2 Likes

As others have said, probably best to check with the provider if there is a “shelf life” date with the test , am pretty certain it would be fine to store it for a month or two. The only “live aspect” of it is a tiny bit of liquid in the little tube into which you drop your fingerprick blood drops (you put the lid on then shake it , think the liquid preserves the sample til it reaches the lab).

One other tip is that you will probably find you have to “activate” your test online before you send it off ie go online to register that you are about to take the test and send it off (probably so that they know to expect it and can match up the name/details on the website with the code/details on the sample you send back). I’d suggest you do this activation step on the day you take your sample not the day you receive your kit if you are going to set it aside for a few weeks before you use it.

And finally it’s best to put it in the post on Mon to Thurs so it will reach the testing lab on a weekday not the weekend (most manufacturers advise you to do this). Also check if your manufacturer requires you to post it in a “Priority Mailbox” (if you go on the Royal Mail site you can find priority mailboxes in your area, there’s usually one per village at least). These mailboxes have more frequent /guaranteed collections so your sample will reach the lab quickly and be in good condition on receipt.

As immunocompromised people can take a little longer to develop a response to the vaccine, some manufacturers suggest 4 to 6 weeks post vaccine to use the test.

Good luck!

3 Likes

According to “monitor my health” currently they last until April 2024 & should be kept at room temperature

2 Likes