Antiviral treatment for covid,

What is the best antiviral treatment for covid for Essential thrombocythemia (ET) sufferers, and how soon should you get it?

2 Likes

Hi @Chris1 what I will do is to copy your post to the Blood Cancer UK nurses @BloodCancerUK_Nurses for you.to see if they can help.
Do you know the procedure to go through to get it?
Have you caught Covid?
Look after yourself

1 Like

Thanks Erica. No, I don’t know the procedure. I may have been exposed to covid, so I want to know what antiviral I would need etc, just incase I need it.

2 Likes

Hi @Chris1. This is the most updated information on the website.

The @BloodCancerUK_Nurses may be able to add to this.

3 Likes

Thanks @Nichola75 . That information is very helpful.

2 Likes

Hi @Chris1,
Thanks for your question. It’s always good to be prepared and understand the possible scenario’s if you do contract covid.

I can see that @Nichola75 has linked our webpages around this which highlights the different type of covid treatment available. It informs, in the UK, people with blood cancer aged 12 and above who test positive for covid may be eligible for:

• Paxlovid (nirmatrelvir/ritonavir) (antiviral, tablets)
  • sotrovimab (antibody, intravenous drip), if Paxlovid is unsuitable.

The decision around if you require treatment and what type of treatment you might be eligible for is carried out by an initial assessment.
After testing positive do ensure you contact your Integrated Care Board as highlighted on the webpage where you will then have access a telephone consultation with a healthcare professional.

If you have anymore questions about this at all or would prefer to talk it through, don’t hesitate to get in touch with us - 0808 2080 888.

Take Care, Lauran

4 Likes

Thanks @LauranBloodCancerUK . Do you know how long the incubation period is for the latest variant? It was 8 days ago that I was in contact with someone whose family tested positive and had covid. I am ok so far, so hopefully I have dodged it.

1 Like

Hi @Chris1,
Thanks for your question. We ourselves do not currently hold exact data on this but we do appreciate it is variable between individual and variant.
In looking at other sources we know that there is evidence to suggest a median average of an incubation period to be likely stemming from 3- 5 days for recent omicron variants. Should you wish to delve into this more, I have linked here to some recently published papers- apologies it is quite a heavy read- COVID-19 Omicron variant: infectious period and asymptomatic and symptomatic transmission - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk).

To include some practical steps around minimising risk of infection, I have linked to our webpage here which talks more about steps you can take towards protecting yourself.

Best wishes, Lauran

1 Like

Thank you @LauranBloodCancerUK for the information. Greatly appreciated. It is 10 days since my possible exposure and I seem to be ok, so I think I have been lucky. :tulip:

2 Likes

Great news @Chris1 if it were me it would have been rather a nervous 10 days.
Take lots of care.

Hi @Erica . Yes it was rather nerve wracking wondering each day if I was going to succumb to it. I am considering myself very lucky that I haven’t, especially as there seems to be an epidemic of it here. I had my haematologist appointment cancelled last week and my osteopath appointment, as both of them were sick. Fortunately for me, they got sick before I was exposed to them, and both had the decency to keep me away until it is safe for me to see them.

1 Like