Any news about authorisation of the preventative antibody treatment from the PROVENT study?

Just read this

Hope Government does not try to save money by using evusheld as a treatment rather than a preventative measure.

2 Likes

@Maureen54 very true and a sad story In the Mail hope you are staying safe and well.

2 Likes

I’ve always found it a useful rule of thumb never to believe anything that’s written in the Mail, however, I hope in this case it’s the truth, and they are indeed poised to roll out Evusheld.

3 Likes

Hello
I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and have been hoping we will be offered Evusheld.

There is a fantastic group on Facebook call Evusheld UK and everyone is working together to try and get Evusheld for us.

There has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes and we are all sending same letter to our MP. Think we have links with charities, press etc.

Very active positive and informative group to join :hugs::heart:

4 Likes
1 Like

Update on Parliamentary Q&A 19/7/2022 excluding all which had same answer re consultation with clinicians, as that would appear over as is testing etc. etc.

What further excuses they will think up I assume depends on advice received. Also on how it was asked.

The comment concerning evidence relating to existing Covid Treatments is a little concerning and perhaps deliberately ambiguous.

It could be they are defending policy to date, supported being in past tense, and now are flexible to be reviewing matter. Shame it’s taken over 4 months

I thought a Freedom of Info Act request may be appropriate to see what the consultations concluded.

Andrew Gwynne Labour Denton and Reddish Commons

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, if he will take steps to ensure that the continued consultations around the rollout of Evusheld do not impede his Department’s ability to procure that antiviral drug.

This answer is the replacement for a previous holding answer.

Maggie Throup Conservative Erewash Commons

Answered on

19 July 2022

The Department is conducting an assessment of Evusheld, including requesting advice from clinicians on the most appropriate option for the National Health Service in line with available data, the public health situation and other treatments available. While we are considering the advice received, we are currently unable to confirm a specific timetable for any decision.

In addition, the Department is determining the most appropriate patient groups which could potentially benefit from prophylactic treatment and any considerations on potential deployment.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, pursuant to the Answer of 12 July 2022 to Question 31781 on Evusheld, when he plans to conclude the consultation with clinicians on the rollout of Evusheld.

Answered on

18 July 2022

We have now received the advice requested from clinicians, which we are currently considering.

Fabian Hamilton Labour Leeds North East Commons

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, if he will make Evusheld available to immunocompromised patients on the NHS.

Answer

Answered on

18 July 2022

*we continue to monitor promising compounds which can be used to prevent infection. While the evidence has most strongly supported the use of COVID-19 treatments rather than prophylaxis, we will keep this under review.

The Department has been assessing Evusheld, including requesting advice from clinicians on the most appropriate option for the National Health Service in line with available data, the public health situation and other treatments available. While we are considering the advice received, we are currently unable to confirm a specific timetable for any such decision.

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, pursuant to the Answer of 12 July 2022 to Question 31781 on Evusheld, whether patient groups representing people who are (a) clinically vulnerable, (b) clinically extremely vulnerable and (c) immunosuppressed have been consulted on the rollout of Evusheld…

Answered on

18 July 2022

The Department has met with stakeholder representatives through the Therapeutics Clinical Review Panel and the Antivirals and Therapeutics Taskforce Engagement Board. These meetings discussed progress on treatments for high risk patient groups, including Evusheld.

Question

Dan Jarvis Labour Barnsley Central Commons

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, what plans his Department has to procure Evusheld for the purposes of prescribing to clinically vulnerable patients for protection against covid-19.

Answered on

14 July 2022

The Department is conducting an assessment of Evusheld, including requesting advice from clinicians on the most appropriate option for the National Health Service in line with the available data, the public health situation and other treatments available. While we are considering the advice received, we are unable to confirm a specific timetable for any decision.

Copy of Freedom of Information Act Request Sent To DH&SC Today

On the 19th July Maggie Throup on behalf of the DH&SC gave the following answer to a Parliamentary Question. “The Department is conducting an assessment of Evusheld, including requesting advice from clinicians on the most appropriate option for the National Health Service in line with available data, the public health situation and other treatments available. While we are considering the advice received, we are currently unable to confirm a specific timetable for any decision”

This statement was similar to many given before

On the 18th July however Maggie Throup said “We have now received the advice requested from clinicians, which we are currently considering.

Please provide all records held by your Department pertaining to the making and receipt of such advice in relation to Evusheld given by said Clinicians and currently being considered by Ministers.

2 Likes

Hi MCA,

Thank you for your hard work on this. I sincerely hope that Steven Barclay might be motivated to drive some decision making over the summer recess.

Is it known how medications such as Evushield been used in other countries?

Helen
Helen

@BloodCancerUK-SupportTeam

To ask the Secretary of State for Health and Social Care, pursuant to the Answer of 12 July 2022 to Question 31781 on Evusheld, whether patient groups representing people who are (a) clinically vulnerable, (b) clinically extremely vulnerable and (c) immunosuppressed have been consulted on the rollout of Evusheld…

Answered on

18 July 2022

The Department has met with stakeholder representatives through the Therapeutics Clinical Review Panel and the Antivirals and Therapeutics Taskforce Engagement Board. These meetings discussed progress on treatments for high risk patient groups, including Evusheld.

In relation to the above has BCUk any further information on progress of such treatments as an assumed stakeholder representative. When was the last meeting?

1 Like

The US, France , Israel and over 20 other countries have been providing Evusheld to their immunocompromised/immunosuppressed groups. The US started in mid Dec 2021, so we are way way behind in the U.K.

I think they have been using that line “ **While the evidence has most strongly supported the use of COVID-19 treatments rather than prophylaxis” for some months , seem to recall even before MHRA approval in March , so I don’t think it’s new. And yes I always read it along the lines of the scientific evidence to date supported post exposure treatment nd they didn’t have the evidence yet to support pre exposure prophylaxis. Hopefully now testing has finished, they feel they do have sufficient evidence!a

Hi @CaroleCW i dont think the testing carried out would provide a comparison between the sucess of existing treatments to keep people out of hospital and Evusheld. I understand data on its preventative status is still being gathered in USA and Isreal. I did ask the question in the Politico Webanair and chap from isreal suggested data avaiable late July.
The testng seemed to relate to neutralization assays.

I think its a false comparison to make in any event.

1 Like

I understand from Lord Mendelshons assistant that next week the all party parliamentry group

https://appg-vulnerablegroups.org/

will be releasing their own survey of over 100 clinicians and putting the Gov on the spot.

I understand that they can not find anybody who has been consulted by Government! In connection with their supposed consultation.

Hence my freedom of info request

2 Likes

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/statements/2022/evusheld-retains-neutralising-activity-against-omicron-subvariants.html

I think this maybe new notwithstanding the Government don’t seem to be on the same planet. Oh well covid levels reducing let’s all party.

3 Likes

https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/statements/2022/update-to-evusheld-recommended-dosage-regimen-for-pre-exposure-prophylaxis-of-covid-19.html

Also updated dosage on 14th July

1 Like
1 Like
2 Likes

I heard today from Lord Mendelshons assistant that indeed there was certainly a suprise referral made to NICE on Friday with a 2 week time limit imposed. Depending if your a cynic or not this could be seen as positve ie to prevent delay, or negatively, to prevent adequate consultation. Good job the APPG-Vunerable Groups have a consultation statement "oven ready " to give them.

1 Like