Any news about authorisation of the preventative antibody treatment from the PROVENT study?

Yes you are correct. It would appear this government only wants to give antibodies once you catch Covid . I would be willing to try and pay for it and I am sure I am not on my own

3 Likes

Me too. I would pay.

1 Like

Any updates yet….it’s seems to be taking forever. :weary:

2 Likes

Totally agree. The US and France have approved it (and Bahrain), no idea why the MHRA is being slow in its review

1 Like

The sooner the better. Good news about it’s efficacy in relation to Omicron …
https://www.astrazeneca.com/media-centre/press-releases/2021/evusheld-long-acting-antibody-combination-retains-neutralising-activity-against-omicron-variant-in-independent-fda-study.html

2 Likes

Definitely the sooner the better. I am back to shielding as I have no detectable antibodies from my first three vaccines. Just had my fourth this morning as I am in the immunocompromised group. Let’s hope I can now produce some good antibodies. I too would pay for this. Seems we are being left behind as other countries are now given this excellent therapy treatment. I feel that it may be too late if blood cancer patients get Covid before they can have all the treatments that are available after they test positive. We all know that people with blood cancer have a much higher fatality rate.

2 Likes

Glad you’ve got your 4th jab - I am due later this week. Hopefully it will give some extra protection. It’s a worrying time though. My 15 year old girl has just tested positive (almost inevitable, despite her 2 vaccines, given what is happening in schools) so we are doing our best to isolate/shield within the same house! I am sure there are many in my position. The new antibody jab (Evusheld) would not be a guarantee but would surely put the immunosuppressed on a similar footing to the fully vaccinated in the rest of the population. Come on MHRA, I’ve no idea what your to do list looks like but it would be great if this one could get ticked off!

2 Likes

Hi davecpep, hope your fourth jab goes okay for you. It is such a worrying time right now. So sorry your daughter has tested positive. I worry all the time as I have a son who lives at home but works for a housing association. He is a joiner by trade and has to go into several tenanted properties on a daily basis to carry out repairs. We really need the new antibody jab to give us the same chances as the rest of the population.

2 Likes

Indeed Margarett - let’s call it “levelling up”!

2 Likes

Hi @davecpep and @Margarett it is so difficult having loved ones living with you who are in education or employment where they are mixing in the community.
Practically how do you isolate at home @davecpep?
Look after yourselves

2 Likes

Hi Erica and davecpep, it is so difficult living with loved ones who are working and living in the community. We just have to carry on and be very careful but at the same time time you feel like you are living on a knife edge every day. Hope you keep safe and well.

1 Like

Does @BloodCancerUK have any insight to why the MHRA is silent on Evusheld? Are they actually actively reviewing the trial data on it and are just slow in approving it compared to other countries? (US and France have both approved it). Or are they sitting on their hands doing nothing until given the go ahead by U.K. Government to consider Evusheld? It feels like we need a campaign to get this into action. I view a combination of Evusheld and lower case numbers as my only route out of shielding (have written and tweeted to Sajid Javid, my MP etc re Evusheld but to no avail).

3 Likes

Good question Erica! With difficulty! My 15 year old, who has covid, is pretty much staying in her room. The bathroom is next door, so of course she uses that. I am using the bathroom before she gets up when it’s been ventilated overnight. I am lucky enough to have some facilities in my garden music room so I use those for the rest of the day. Windows are kept partially open, shared surfaces cleaned. We are lucky to have the space to do this - it would be nigh on impossible in a very small home - but only time will tell if it’s enough! To be fair it’s not a major problem for a 15 year girl to stay in her room 24/7 with room service delivering regular meals, particularly as she doesn’t feel that ill! Trying to be positive as you can see, but I can’t pretend it’s not a really worrying time.

1 Like

Yes, @davecpep it must be a really worrying time for you.
We and the Blood Cancer UK support line are there for you.
Enjoy your music, I love mine.

1 Like

@davecpep and @Erica, Unfortunately my son has tested positive today for Covid. I know I do not have any vaccine antibodies so I am now playing the waiting game. My son is now living in my family caravan for the next seven days at least. I hope that I have escaped getting Covid but I feel so scared even more so than being diagnosed with blood cancer.

1 Like

Hi @Margarett that must be scary for you and thank goodness for your caravan.
I think the scariness is even worse as it is so close to home.
How is your son?
I have heard of others on here whose family members have contacted Covid and my son did before Christmas.
All you can do is to take all reasonable precautions.
We are here for you and so is the Blood Cancer UK support line.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that @Margarett. I hope he makes a good recovery and that you are able to stay safe. The caravan sounds a very useful asset in the circumstances. Despite the fact that Evusheld has not been approved in the UK it is at least reassuring to know that we should be able to access effective antivirals and antibody treatments should we unfortunately contract covid. Best wishes and take care.

2 Likes

Hi @Erica, My son is okay in himself. He has mild symptoms. Thank goodness we have the caravan and it is inside a large building so no rain noise on the roof. All my husband and I can do now is to keep testing twice a day with the lateral flow tests and hope for the best. Thank you for your very kind words.

2 Likes

Hi @davecpep, My son has only mild symptoms thank goodness. The caravan is a very useful asset at this time. let’s hope we do not get Covid but as you say they have very good treatments that they can give us if the worst happens. How is you daughter now? I really hope she is okay and you can keep safe and well. Thank you for your very kind words.

2 Likes

Hi @Margarett she’s actually our niece for whom we have guardianship. She is doing ok - her symptoms are like a bad cold really; had she not tested positive for covid that’s what we would have described it as. Hopefully there will be no long term problems. Glad your son only has mild symptoms. My daughter, who is grown up and lives elsewhere actually has covid too! She is trying to isolate in her own home though fortunately there is no one there who is vulnerable. Let’s hope that they all have a speedy and full recovery and that they keep the germs to themselves! Take care

2 Likes