Asking questions about MGUS

Hi all, I’m 39 years old male and recently I have been told that I might have monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) and I have reffered to hematology and waiting for an appointment, my question is what am I expecting on my first visit? What sort of questions I should be asking?

2 Likes

Hi @Sadik84g and
Welcome to the forum. It’s so hard to know what questions to ask isn’t it as it’s all so new. Hopefully, the information on the BCUK page will help.
I have copied a link below for a booklet that may be worth ordering. Also the BCUK helpline might be worth a call before your next appointment.
Remember, no question is to silly. I would advise taking somebody with you to the appointment if you can. I know most of us find that really useful.
How are you doing in yourself? Its
often very overwhelming.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

3 Likes

Hi @Sadik84g Welcome, I am so glad that you have found us and I cannot better @Nichola75 response.
I think all i can say is to not ignore the emotional impact of any diagnosis.
I certainly thought I had my life mapped out and then suddenly everything is upside down with thoughts and emotions, uncertainty, not knowing and waiting in limbo.
I have another blood cancer and I came straight home and wrote my will and funeral music. That was 20 yrs ago. Then the ‘what if’s’ set in.
I think that my thoughts and emotions have been on high alert ever since.
I found that I could not explain to work what I did not understand myself, with work I think communication is the key, none of us have a manual of how to be and everyone reacts differently.
I would reiterate what @Nichola75 says that no question (and post on here) is a silly one.
We often share the same thoughts, emotions and practicalities on here.
I would say really look after yourself and keep posting.

3 Likes

Hi there
Will link you monoclonal gammopathy of unknown significance (MGUS) from myeloma uk
It may help you formulate your questions

4 Likes

Hi thanks for the reply, I do feel OK generally but catching bugs quick.

3 Likes

Thanks for that I have ordered the booklet now

2 Likes

Thank you for the reply

2 Likes