August pausing for shielding

As the government continues to open more and more of the economy and activities to the general population and the pausing of shielding comes nearer and nearer I am wondering what exactly we will be able to do. The last known release is dated around a week before we are supposed to be pausing our confinement so infection rates, although monitored may not be clear. Whilst being told to stay mostly at home, like everyone else I believe, we seem to be jumping from seeing 6 people socially distanced to a huge range of freedoms in one move, regardless of the fact that many of us may still feel vulnerable, is this what is expected? We are off the radar again and guidance of our own risk taking is necessary to enable us to make any steps into the world.
My experience of going out, is that the general population appears to have forgotten about Covid. Unless I move to 2+m away others donā€™t move or take it that actually they donā€™t need to so carry on walking whilst I am in the mud or wet grass. This isnā€™t primarily the young either. The roads are busier now so stepping out into the road is not to be recommended.
When can we see our families and will this always have to be outside? The suggestion that you can only make a bubble with single people means that we are likely to not make a bubble as theyā€™ve already been made.
I guess what I am asking is
A) Can the government address our situation near to the August date enlightening us as to what pausing means, what can we do as, what we witness, is not necessarily the guidance to the rest of the population as flouting has been going on since day 1.
B) Can the government explain, or anyone explain, where we are to get our information from to guide our risk taking at a local level before the situation worsens, if indeed it does. I, like many others, locked down earlier than was suggested for my own safety.
I have taken my own risk assessment up to press as shielding is only guidance but as the general population moves on with their lives the risks to us remains, that if we succumb to Covid we are likely to be more seriously ill than others, this is scary.

3 Likes

I agree with everything you have written.
The current government advice greatly concerns me too.
Pausing the need to shield in August increases the risk of infection to high risk patients.
The threat of infection is still here as the current increases show. The testing targets have not been reached so the infection rate is probably higher than the figures published.
Yet we have been told that we can now go shopping and resume normal activities after August.
More lives are going to be lost as a result of the government ignore scientific advice and the warnings of the WHO.
I continue to social distance 2 metres but nobody else appears to.
I attend hospital 6 days in every 28 for chemotherapy which is an ordeal for me especially as I see many patients and administrators not adhering to the 2 metre rule.
I live in a seaside town which is overwhelmed by visitors in the good weather by visitors and residents flocking to the beaches and town centre.
The easing of the lockdown is happening too fast!!
Anthony

2 Likes

Itā€™s very worrying isnā€™t it. I return to my job as assistant head teacher in a primary school in September. Iā€™m looking forward to going back but am extremely anxious as well. My workplace have been amazing and Iā€™m sure will have strict procedures in place. However, it is impossible to social distance at all times in a school. I think we all definitely need more guidance Instead of this huge jump as August hits. I did write my email to the local MP As part of the ā€˜Save our Shieldersā€™ campaign so Iā€™m hoping if enough of us do that then someone will take notice - fingers crossed!

2 Likes

More confusing government advice!!
I still donā€™t understand what a pause in shielding in August for high risk patients means.
After weeks of advice to avoid using public transport now the message is ā€œget back to work and use public transportā€
Boris pictured in a face mask in a shop in his constituency, no doubt a pre arranged publicity stunt.
Now we have Gove saying wearing a face mask in shops is a matter of good manners.
I very much doubt if he does his own shopping!!
When I was still able to do my own shopping I saw no evidence of good manners in my local supermarket.
My daughter ( a key worker) told me that the branch of Asda where she goes has a rule that only 2 people are allowed in an aisle at one time, itā€™s totally ignored.
We are told that face masks should be used in places where social distancing cannot be done. That is the case in supermarkets and pubs.
Why on earth donā€™t the government make face masks mandatory in shops??
What does 1 metre plus actually mean?
It appears to me that the government are absolving themselves of any responsibility for this crisis, which was made worse by their dithering right at the beginning of the year.
More lives are going to be sacrificed due to Boris and his cabinetā€™s incompetence.
Anthony

3 Likes

Face Masks in shops!,
At last, after weeks of dithering (as usual) Boris announces that face masks will be mandatory from July 24th.
Why not immediately as this advice was given in relation to using public transport?
Even more disturbing is that shop keepers will not be enforcing this new directive, but the police will.
The police force has been cut again and again, there is not the manpower available to police shops and supermarkets.
Whilst this new directive regarding the wearing of face masks in shops is long overdue I suspect itā€™s more to do with economic reasons as many people are still reluctant to go out shoppingā€¦
Anthony

2 Likes

I agree and itā€™s about time! Regardless of anything else it may just remind people, who seem to have forgotten, that we are still in this pandemic and it isnā€™t going anywhere, anytime soon. Whilst I am fairly confident at reading those people who will not move even 1 step to the side whilst out in the open air, I have no idea when I will regain the confidence to do anything else. People are oblivious to the fact that there are people at a very high risk to this virus, unfortunately the good ones stand out!!! I worry that whilst it is important to get the economy going the consensus about the shielded is that we should do very little so the rest of the population can carry on as they wish. That in itself would be ok if we had an end point, but there isnā€™t one and we, too, are entitled to some sort of life especially if we are expected to return to work. The wearing of masks may just remind people???

2 Likes

Very true.
Iā€™ve spoken to a few people I know about this issue who are not high risk. On the telephone, not face to face obviously.
They are all intelligent people and donā€™t seem at all bothered about the constant threat, the comment ā€œ it will all blow over soonā€ is often made.
Even our present government is not dealing with the crisis with any urgency.
They have sidelined the Chief Medical advisor, ignore the WHO advice and we are repeatedly given conflicting advice.
I mentioned in a previous post that Iā€™d had a long conversation with The Chief Operational Matron at the chemotherapy clinic I attend about the governmentā€™s conflicting advice, he said it was disastrous and the NHS were preparing for another surge which will overwhelm them.
You will notice that Boris has filled his cabinet with yes men, there are no dissenters at all.
Iā€™m fortunate that Iā€™m still getting treated for my incurable MDS, but I know of other cancer patients have had their treatment suspended!!
Our government are shielded by their wealth.
The rest of the population, high risk or not arenā€™t.
The economy is important, not peopleā€™s lives it seems.

I agree that it is very confusing. But then I think the messages all along have been confusing. I am being cautious but starting to be more active. I have only recently started to go for short walks with my husband but this week met a friend for a walk and we walked apart but close enough to have a chat. As it was in a suburban area she went on the road if necessary.

I have been to a small garden nursery, all outside and there were only 6 people and we were well apart, definitely over two metres and all wearing masks. I plan to go to the chiropodist and dentist at the end of the month but also the beautician for my nails and hairdresser. I will wear a mask at all of these except of course once in the dental chair!

My daughter who lives locally I will allow in my house in August as well as my cleaner. The latter will be wearing a mask and disposable gloves. I am not allowing friends in yet. I know they are all risks but I just feel with some precautions I need to get some life back as over 4 months of shielding has been tough even though I have kept busy.

I will not be going to any shops yet even though I would love to go to a supermarket as I am tired of on line food shopping and the strange substitutes!

Whatever you decide take care everyone

2 Likes

Yes, @Joan, it is really confusing I am following medical experts, my medical team and Blood Cancer UKā€™s advice and guidance.
A friend made me 2 very snazzy colourful masks and I have a stock of disposable ones. I have started going out for isolated walks and I must look so scary as everyone is avoiding me. It is great to go out in the fresh air but it does not feel very fresh wearing a mask to me.
I have been lucky as my on line supermarket delivery slots have been good and I am now getting less substitutes and most are acceptable. Yes, shops are a no, no for me.
Take care and please keep posting how you are.

1 Like

Hi Nichola, I too sent my mp the email. The response I got didnā€™t make it any clearer to me. Although in Wales, it sounded like a standard English response. I would be interested to know other peopleā€™s responses.
I hope you get some more definitive answers soon. :grinning:

Hi @Jules1,

I got a standard reply as well - just containing all of the government information. Nothing new!

1 Like

Hi All,
Another totally misleading statement by Boris last evening on the BBC.
Those of you with iPads/iPhones with the BBC News App there is a side bar where you can ā€œfact checkā€
the figures he quoted.
They are totally misleading and have been massaged to give us all a false sense of security.
One really outstanding issue about PPE precautions regarding gloves is laughable as only single gloves were counted, so the figures quoted are false.
At chemotherapy appointments Iā€™ve yet to see any one handed member of staff in the hospital.
Boris statements about funding are also fudged.
ā€œ The worst will be over by Christmasā€ is absolute bulls***

1 Like

Quite agree. The schedule of continued easing continues right up to the point where our shielding is paused. I donā€™t know about everybody else, but I look 7-14 days after the latest easing to see what has happened to the numbers. I still only go out for walks and keep a good distance away from as many people as possible. Christmas??? Darenā€™t go that far. With the suggestion that PHE is going to pause the daily release of figures how on Earth are we expected to take an informed decision on our individual risk?

1 Like

Thatā€™s just what I wondered too.
I can only assume itā€™s because the figures they have given up to now are totally inaccurate?
This is the worst Prime Minister and Cabinet prior to
WW2.
Neville Chamberlain dismissed the Nazi threat in Europe despite all the obvious signs, Boris is doing the same in regard to the COVID-19 threat worldwide despite all the scientific and WHO advice.
Nero fiddled whilst Rome burned.
Boris dithers whilst people die :scream:

2 Likes

How are you doing?
Is your territory still being invaded at weekends?
I am finding less people are wearing masks. However, wearing my hat, (I have had skin cancer on my head and I fear it has returned, being fair and too much sun in my mis spent youth apparently) walkman and colourful mask on I look so scary that everyone avoids me. I have not ventured into any shops though.
I do not feel I have had much fresh air with a mask on though.
Take care, your welfare comes first and we know what we need to do without listening to politics.

1 Like

Hello again Erica,
Iā€™m doing ok thanks chemo still working, 73 monthly cycle starts on Monday,
My daughter, bless her has been doing my weekly shop.
Itā€™s been hard going for her having a job and 2 severely autistic children to cope with, but she has willingly done it.
Now Tesco has more delivery slots available I am now ordering online. Iā€™ve absolutely no intention of going to a supermarket to do it myself as with a much reduced immune system Iā€™m still very much at risk.
After the end of August when the government advise that high risk people who are shielding can ā€œpauseā€ and live normally is total bulls*** as I mentioned in a previous post
Covid-19 is still with us and the risk of infection hasnā€™t disappeared, Boris advice is putting us at danger if we follow the garbage he spouts.
I too have severe sun damage ( pre cancerous actinic keratosis on my head) and periodically have have it cryosurgery on my scalp to remove growths. That is my own fault for basking in the sun. Hence the hats, my chemo makes my skin sensitive to sunlight too.
But I must admit I have a hat fetish, I used to wear my fathers trilby when I could from the age of 10.
Iā€™m always on the lookout for different colour fedoras, I have enough now to wear a different one every day for 2 weeks, even got a bowler and a deerstalker.
Also a collection of brightly coloured striped blazers.
I donā€™t believe that as one ages(Iā€™m 76) that we should dress in beige as a lot of the elderly do.
Mind you I have been asked on more than on occasion if Iā€™m a homosexualā€” Iā€™m not!!
People tend to think Iā€™m rather odd, which I am.
A woman who picked me up at the hospital who I did date was convinced that I was a homosexual
I keep my distance from everyone when out walking 2 metres plus.
Iā€™ve always gone my own way ever since my teens and donā€™t intend to stop now just because I have terminal cancer.
Do your own thing Erica, always.
Bit of a ramble there againā€‹:clown_face::cowboy_hat_face:
Not allowed to use the word g** Iā€™ve just been reminded when I first submitted this post, strange that I thought the word was acceptable these days.

3 Likes

I should have answered you first question about town invasion.
Yes it is, we expect hoard on the rampage in the town tomorrow, Sunday. Really horrible, I stay well clear
Anthony

1 Like

Hi, Anthony
You have made me think of the poem by Jenny Joseph called Warning, but commonly called ā€˜When I am an old woman I shall wear purpleā€™. I was a Registrar of Marriages at one time and the bride would sometimes say it to the groom.
Your response also brought flooding back the times when I used to walk into the GPā€™s office and he would already be pointing his gun towards me ready to freeze my scalpā€¦again. I now look like Friar Tuck, on a good day. When I had the op and skin graft from my leg I was told I wasnā€™t to get either places wet for 3 months. When I duly went back in 3 mths the consultant said you can now have a shower. I didnā€™t dare confess how many times I had a shower and even washed my hair. I got a dab hand at taping cling film round my thigh.
I only have 3 hats - a 99p shop pink straw bonnet, a pale blue Kangol type canvassy brimmed one that I have sewn blue butterflies (from good old Amazon) around and the same shape multi coloured one I brought on line cheaply during lockdown. Luckily I donā€™t get asked to many weddings.
So yes, I am doing my own thing. At my age, for the first time in my life I am not wearing a dress code and donā€™t care what people think of me.
Yes, cheers to getting old disgracefully !!!

3 Likes

I like the way you think Erica.
Iā€™ve never been ā€œ a dedicated follower of fashionā€
you know the song of course, you mentioned a while ago you liked The Kinks.
In regard to hats, some time ago a consultant at the hospital stopped me and asked me where he could buy the same one, a blue fedora.
I donā€™t look like Friar Tuck, more like a billiard ball!!
Always do your own thing Erica, wear bright colours it always attracts attention and very often admiration which is always uplifting.
Looking good on the outside does wonders for the ego.
Best wishes
Anthony :rose:

2 Likes

SO good to read a few positive comments at this wretched time!
It is easy to become downhearted when shielding and faced with dithering politicians, doom-laden news, scenes of mass gatherings and anti-social behaviour.
I thank the vast majority of people who do social distance and think of others when they are in public. Also the good shopkeepers and key workers who continue to help us.
Covid 19 IS a horrible thing and will, I suspect, be a threat for many months to comeā€¦but there is hope and I am so lucky to have a marvellous wife to share my 20 weeks of shielding.
I really do hope things will get better and thanks once again to those who are positive and supportive.

3 Likes