Beginner - diagnosed with CLL

Just introducing myself my name is Jackie in January I was diagnosed with chronic Lymphocytic Leukaemia so a newbie to it all just getting over a respiratory chest infection as also have asthma and Copd it was an unexpected diagnosis as wasn’t told just by chance went to the doctors and was due a blood test and weeks later there it was had first consultation and luckily levels are low so on active monitoring didn’t have time to process when my husband was diagnosed with triple myeloma if I’ve said the right terminology and was rushed straight to hospital to start chemotherapy weeks has passed and he’s had 2 blood transfusions and on concoctions of drugs injections so forth our world has been torn apart I’ve had to give up work to be full time care he was already retired I’m 63 he is 72 what a whirlwind we were in still getting used to it anyway looking forward to seeing your situations and practical advice along the way good evening Jackie and Trevor

2 Likes

Hi @jackiechad831 Jackie and Trevor a great big welcome to our forum.
I will give you some links to the Blood Cancer UK website
Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) - what is it, symptoms and treatment | Blood Cancer UK
Active monitoring (watch and wait) | Blood Cancer UK
Myeloma | Blood Cancer UK
@jackiechad831 It must have been so difficult to not have time to process one diagnosis before Trevor’s diagnosis your world’s must have been torn apart.
It sounds as if Trevor is undergoing treatment and being looked after.
Jackie, I had had a gynae op and then had a routine blood test and the gynaecologist told me that I had Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and that he could do no more for me and to go to my GP, I thought my end was nigh.
I was 53 yrs old and I am now 74 yrs old. I have been a very lucky girl and always been on watch and wait (active monitoring).
I feel for you as you did not get a chance to process and come to terms with your diagnosis when Trevor was diagnosed and immediately rushed into hospital.
Now perhaps you both need to just take time for yourselves, be very kind to yourselves, spoil yourselves and try and just try and take it a day at a time.
Perhaps if it is possible ask for and accept help.
It took me a long time to get over the shock of it all. I find this forum is the one place I can say how it really is for me.
You say that you also have asthma and COPD so try not to overdo it.
Any questions and I am here, please do keep posting

Thank you so much I also have lichen sclerosis and find their community forum and Copd community forum reading everyone’s stories do actually help especially knowing your not on your own my son lives in Hong Kong but still supporting us and helping financially which we are lucky we don’t have to worry about just yet the youngest has enough troubles of his own with 2 autistic children a job and life in general but only lives round the corner so is on hand my friends and family have been great offers from everywhere and everyone we are very lucky now it’s time to get used to routine and look after each other it’s a set back but it’s amazing we can spend more time together albeit a little slower and already got things booked for the summer x

1 Like

Hi jacki

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It made me stop as my mother has just been diagnose with acute lymphoblastic leukaemia and also has lichen’s sclerosis which I thought was a big coincidence x

1 Like

Omg it’s very rare I meet anyone with lichen sclerosis and pretty much nobody knows what it is I’ve also been wondering if there is a connection I’ll have to visit my chat on their forum because they are very knowledgeable thank you for your reply Jackie

2 Likes