Calcium levels

Hi I’ve been told By letter that I have borderline calcium levels .
Can any one help with what that means?
Feeling a bit lost and scared this is the start of something.

2 Likes

Hi @Yvonne1 and hello ,its alarming to get a letter and not know whats going on .I presume youre having regular blood test.
I have my calcium levels checked every 12 weeks on watch and wait for MGUS ,if my calcium levels rose it would need investigating so have you another appointment or can you ask your GP ?@Lauren or @GemmaBloodCancerUK BloodcancerUK could advise or call the BCUK helpline to talk it through.
Hope that helps a bit and All the best.
Bannanacake

2 Likes

Thank you for replying
Yes it is alarming.
I have MGUS and I’m on watch and wait.
I also have hypertension and I’m aware that can effect kidney function.
I phoned the helpline and they said to phone and ask for clarification.
So I guess that’s what Ill do.

2 Likes

Yes @Yvonne1thats great.I am sorry that its alarmed you I know only too well with the "watching and waiting"Hope that you get some clarification soon ,let us know how you get on and take care of yourself and keep posting .Bannanacake

1 Like

Hi @Yvonne1 I honestly do not think the medical profession realise how their wording and content can really upset, stress and make anxious and scared their patients.
My first nurse said to me if enough blood tests are taken something will be outside the parameters that are stated.
We don’t know what your results will mean as we are not medically trained.
It is no good us saying don’t worry as you are human.
You have been given great advice by the helpline, please let us know how you get on.
Look after yourself and be kind to yourself

1 Like

Hello there @Yvonne1, just checking that you got to speak to someone either on our phoneline or at your GP surgery? Was this the only abnormaility in your blood counts? I know how worrying it must be to be made aware of an abnormal level but often it will settle, or is mildly abnormal and a repeat test will put your mind at rest. I have included a MGUS diary which I hope may be helpful: https://www.myeloma.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/01/Myeloma-UK-MGUS-Diary.pdf. Please do take care, Gemma

2 Likes