Can I get some advice

My dad was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) in December, he is 73 and was 72 at the time, he underwent intense chemotherapy multiple times and given how healthy he is and how he came through it we were led to believe in January that one last deep clean of intense chemo would clear it, they were wrong and it was still there but in his bone, because of how strong and fit he was considered for a transplant but eventually was ruled out, this left us one option of long term chemo tablets for a year then we see, sorry for the whole story but my question is, my dad finally got to a point where the chemo and meds were balanced and his bloods returned to normal levels for the last 7 months, now though, bloods are showing discrepancies and they immediately took a bone marrow sample, what does this mean

2 Likes

Hi @Greg1978 I am so glad that you have found us and posted, I have also seen your duplicate post, but will respond to this one.
You are obviously a very caring person and your dad is lucky to have you.
Your question is best asked of your dad’s medical team, if he will agree to you coming with him to his next appointment and asking it.
Otherwise your dad might want to ask the question himself.
His medical team know your dad’s whole medical history, symptoms, test results etc.
There also might be other questions that you both want to ask. I find it helps me to write them all down so I cover everything.
Your post really does show however the rollercoaster of medical issues, thoughts and emotions we go through.
Look after yourselves and be kind to yourselves and let us know how you get on.

1 Like

Thank you for responding, my dad doesn’t know I’m reaching out and I know what his consultant is saying, however, he’s advising nothing and whether I’m trying to read between the lines, I was kind of hoping for more towards why might his bloods after several months start to show signs which is enough for a bone marrow sample and there is talk about different treatment, so why might this be please

2 Likes

Oh, @Greg1978 I can see from your post how anxious you are and I really wish I could help you.
Being a family member is so difficult you are often so, so powerless I am definitely not medically trained and even if we were on here your dad is a very special, unique person, with his own medical history, medications, symptoms, tests, age, ethnicity etc. there are so many other criteria which the medical team are considering. They often ask for more tests to give them a wider picture to ensure they have the bigger picture.
I attach the link from the Blood Cancer UK website on Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML)
Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) - what is it, symptoms, treatment and prognosis | Blood Cancer UK
Sorry I cannot help more and please let us know what the consultant says.
Please look after yourself as well as you do your dad and please do keep posting as I look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

Thank you very much, it’s a thing which I’m sure you understand is moving all the time and I’m trying to not get ahead of myself which we did after his intense chemo as we were told it was cleared to be told no actually it wasn’t and that was the hardest so I’m trying to find out this may be another curve ball moment but I want to be ready

2 Likes

Oh @Greg1978 I can really understand that you want to be ready, but never easy on the rollercoaster we are all on.
Be very kind to yourselves

1 Like

Hi @Greg1978

I am sorry to hear about your Dad’s diagnosis but it sounds as if he has done really well getting through all the chemo rounds.

I can also see that the lovely @Erica has offered some advice. I am Mum to a 20 year old daughter who was diagnosed with Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) at the end of April and has also undertaken chemotherapy (4 rounds). You are so right in recognising that the journey is a rollercoaster. We have had so many twists and turns and then being told we are now going on a completely different path. We have great faith in my daughters consultant team but there have been times when we have had questions and what if’s. So we note them all down on a phone and then ask them on a consultant ward round (if an in patient) or at a clinic appointment (if in day care). At our last consultation I emailed the questions we had so the lead consultant was prepared. He even drew us a picture which really helped our understanding of where she was going next.

I wish you well in gaining clarity of the next steps. It is also great that you have found this forum as it is so supportive.

Take care and all the best for now
Sarah

3 Likes