Chemo sickness or not?

I am currently undergoing chemotherapy for ‘non-Hodgkin lymphoma’ after my first session of chemo I had no side effects, after my second session and since I have suffered with nausea which starts of with hiccups followed by excess water in mouth, running nose and eventually vomiting, this can be brief or at times has gone on for 3 hours. My consultant and Macmillan nurse both think this is unrelated to te chemo. but I’m sceptical and think the opposite … I just wonder if anyone else has suffered or heard of similar? It is R-CHOP chemo that I am getting.
To add to this the different anti-sickness pills I’ve been prescribed have no effect so it is an ongoing thing … if it is a result of the chemo I can accept that if not it becomes a worry as I am losingweight when I need to be gaining it.
Thank you for reading,
Best wishes, Peem

2 Likes

Hi @Peem, I cannot answer your question, but I wanted to welcome you to our community forum. What I have gained out of our community forum is the strength to question my medical team and persist if I feel something is not right. Your sickness sounds horrible. If you need to talk to someone for support the Bloodwise support line is free from UK landlines and mobile phones on 0808 2080 888 and they are available to take your call Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm and on Wednesdays from 10am-1pm, but you can get in touch whenever you want and leave a message and they say they will get back to you within one working day. Take lots of care of yourself and we are here to support you and I hope someone in a similar chemo situation can share their experiences. Please let us know how you are doing.

2 Likes

Thank you for your welcome, and comments much appreciated.

hi @Peem, I’m Su, I’m one of the Bloodwise support officers here. I hope you are doing ok? I am so sorry to hear about the side effects you have been experiencing. Understandably, this sounds like it has had a huge impact on you. I wondered if you have had any opportunity to talk through these concerns with your treatment team? and explore your concerns about these effects not being related to the chemo treatment?

1 Like

Hi Su, I was given Domperidon + Lansaprozole but they had no effect, I was also given the cancer helpline number which I used once … the person on the other end arranged for me to go to my local A&E (9.30 pm) and sugggested I take an overnight bag. I went along, had blood tests etc. lay on a bed for around 2 hours and was sent home with a prescription. On returning home I checked the prescription only to find it was for Domperidone which I already had. I later told my Macmillan nurse about this and told her Domperidone & Lansoprazole were not helping … she said she’d notify the consultant and get another type of pill. At my next chemo. session I was handed a bag of medication, when home I opened it to find there was only more Domperidone. I have since seen my own doc.(GP) who prescribed Metoclopramide but alas that too has had no effect … today I have been prescribed something else by my GP so hoping that it is more of a success.
So in answer to your question, my ‘treatment team’ are aware of my problems but I will say no more on that subject.
Thanks for your message.

1 Like

This must all be so wearing and frustrating, and for me it would be just all too much. This all comes at a time when you are obviously undergoing chemo and suffering from sickness and worrying about loosing weight. This does not even take into account of the emotional, physical and practical issues and toll I expect you are going through. We are all here to support you, take lots of care of yourself and don’t forget the Bloodwise support line.

Hi @Peen Sorry to hear how frustrating its been for you going round in circles, its good that your GP is listening and has given another different medication for you to try. Hope this one works for you and you feel much better.

1 Like

@Peem I echo Bav’s words, I’m so sorry to hear about what you’ve had to go through and really hope things can improve for you. As the others have rightly said, we are always here for you.

Su

1 Like

Thank you all for your kind words, yes the whole thing has been very ‘frustrating’ as you say and I now feel it’s a waste of my time dealing with most parties involved. I have a blood clot at the top of my leg and get daily injections for this, it was one of the nurses who administer this that suggested I MUST go back to my GP. I have been keeping a diary of events which I intend sending to, ‘whom it may concern’, once my treatment is over, however as I also have cancer in 1 kidney this may be some time,(hoping chemo I’m having at present will deal with this but maybe wishful thinking).
Many thanks again for your kind an supportiive words.
Peem

1 Like

Peem, gosh, you have a lot on your plate. I think keeping a diary of events really shows events so clearly and irrefutably, good thinking, Take lots of care.

Hi, sorry to hear this.
I also have NHL Waldenstrom, I’m currently in remission ( 1 year ) .
During all my chemotherapy I suffered each time from terrible vomiting, one time practically every hour overnight, I was given anti vomiting injection on that occasion.
I found there was a pattern after each session.
1 day after chemotherapy vomiting started, this carried on for 3 days, then I had a really good week with no vomiting.
The pattern repeated itself despite different anti sickness medication.
I lost 2 1/2 stone in weight
A year into remission, I have the occasional feeling of sickness but have regained my weight !
I feel very tired and have a lot of problems with all my joints now , but nothing like the extreme tiredness before the chemotherapy sessions started.
It’s not pleasant having the nausea and vomiting but it will pass in my experience.
I wish you all the very best and hopefully hear the good news that you are also in remission once your chemotherapy is over.

1 Like

Great to hear from you again and thanks for showing your sickness pattern during chemo so clearly. As to your feelings of tiredness, I think they are very natural because you and your body have gone through so much emotionally, practically, medically and physically it takes a long time to build back up. Take lots of care of yourself.

Hi, Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
As I said both my Haemotoligist and Macmillan nurse have said my sicknes will not be related to my chemo. as it has been going on for too long but I am sceptical. This nausea/sickness started after my 2nd chemo session back in December and has continued up until now. By way of example, I thought I’d try macaroni cheese tonight had 1 forkful and that set me off, hiccups,mouth filling with water, nose running then vomiting, tonight this lasted about an hour but at times has lasted up to 3 hours. I have since managed custard with a small piece of sponge.(my survival rations this last 2 months). I have tried different anti-sickness pills with no success, now my GP has put me on another to try so here’s hoping!!
Thanks again for your message and kind words … glad to learn you are in remission.
Best wishes, Peem

1 Like