CLL and fatigue

Hi everyone how are you all doing ? Fellow Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) friends can I ask how much is fatigue is a part of your condition and how do you deal with it ? Of course fatigue is an issue with blood cancer but I’m finding it is increasingly impacting on my life which is difficult for me as I have always been a ball of energy. Since my diagnosis I’ve continued with exercise etc but I’m currently still in my pyjamas instead of going along to my gym class I still work one day a week as a forensic nurse examiner and I am wiped today after doing 2 shifts back to back. My husband regularly has to wake me late morning! It’s so frustrating!

2 Likes

Hi KayC
I unfortunately have no great words of wisdom other than I experience this too.I was diagnosed with Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) last September and have found it impossible to do the kind of exercise I used to .I love running, it’s always helped keep my mental health well but I just haven’t the energy at the moment.So frustrating when you are normally quite active isn’t it?
Am sure @Erica will have far more words of wisdom and I will tell you what I learned from her , to listen to your body and be kind to yourself, she is very wise
Take care

1 Like

Hi @KayC and @DottieB, my fellow Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)’ers, yes, fatigue is par for us.
I attach the details from the Blood Cancer UK website on fatigue,
Blood cancer and fatigue | Blood Cancer UK
This is not a medical reply, but just what works best for me
I think for me the key is getting to know myself and how I tick and managing my fatigue.
Yes, I was a bouncy ball of energy too.
Since my diagnosis I do not deal with what personally stresses me well and my fatigue sets in and it’s all too much.
I did have to cut down my working hours and for several years and all I did was work, sleep and run a home, it was no life.
My fatigue can come on if I overdo it emotionally, psychologically, physically and practically. It can come on immediately or up to 48 hrs later.
So if I know I am going to be doing something that will fatigued I try and have a restful day planned afterwards.
For me I might go for a timed nap during the day, but not too long as it will alter my sleep pattern. If I feel fatigued I might go to bed a bit earlier, but I make myself get up at my usual time, have a bath/shower and get dressed, it my mindset.
I have most energy in the mornings/lunchtimes and I don’t do evenings. I try and pace myself.
However much I do not fancy it I try to get some fresh air and appropriate exercise, as you know I am a nosey walker.
I do go to Pilates as both things help me keep fit and my muscles and core stronger
which improves my energy.
Yep, listen to your body and do things you enjoy and be very kind you yourself and that is not a contradiction.

1 Like

Thanks @Erica , your responses are always helpful

1 Like