Tiredness

Hi, was just wondering how do people deal with fatigue and tiredness? Any natural remidess? Happy new year to guys :heart:

2 Likes

Hi @Leonardo1993 thanks so much for being part of our forum and a great million dollar question.
The Blood Cancer UK website has some information Blood cancer and fatigue | Blood Cancer UK
I find since my blood cancer diagnosis I do not deal with what personally stresses me well and that brings on my fatigue.
My fatigue also comes on when I overdo it emotionally, medically, physically, thoughtfully or practically.
My fatigue might come on immediately or up to 48 hrs later.
Sometimes a nap or duvet diving helps, other times fresh air and appropriate exercise helps me.
I have learnt to manage my fatigue and I do things earlier in the day and I don’t do evenings, it works for me.
As for natural remedies I have not personally found anything. I believe in a healthy balanced diet, but also the odd treat.
My life is good today and I am fairly fit, I am an Pilates girl.
Some people find relaxation techniques or counselling helps [Blood cancer: mind and emotions | Blood Cancer UK](Blood cancer: mind and emotions | Blood Cancer UK
Be kind to yourself
I look forward to reading the respnses.of others.

1 Like

Hi @Leonardo1993. This is always a good conversation and I have found in the past that people share some really useful tips.
Is the fatigue and tiredness to do with treatments/side effects of treatments.
Do you find sleeping difficult or is it just feeling that way all of the time? Just asking as I know peoples reasons vary.
My tiredness doesn’t come from that but is often mental exhaustion because I find sleeping extremely difficult because it’s when all those thoughts that I’ve kept at bay throughout the day, come running around when I try to relax! (I’m on watch and wait for follicular lymphoma)
Exercise really helps me. My choice is swimming and however tired I feel, I’m always glad that I’ve been because I feel so much better afterwards. As @Erica said, Pilates helps her. She has also shared some useful info.
I’m sure others will share their experiences :kissing_heart:

1 Like

Happy New Year, @Leonardo1993!

My fatigue may have been a temporary fatigue whilst recovering from a stem cell transplant, but I found lots of exercise helped. I realise this may not work for everybody, but worth a go, depending on your situation. It certainly wouldn’t have helped me when I was short of red blood cells to carry oxygen!

1 Like

Hi Leonardo1993

I am learning to live with fatigue following Long Covid and my recent diagnosis. Some of the things that are helping me are being aware of how my body is feeling, this means I have to break jobs into manageable steps and resting between the steps, a year ago that meant taking a day to cook dinner.
I have also thought about the day as three parts, and deciding the one thing I can manage in each third, one third has to be rest!
I also have changed my diet and avoid some foods which has helped me as well.
Look at what you can do, not what you don’t achieve, otherwise the frustration makes the fatigue worse.
In a recent clinic it was explained that fatigue is like having two batteries we run off…one is for normal life and the other we use for emergencies. With fatigue they are both empty and so we have to slowly refill…
I hope this helps.
Johanna

2 Likes

Thanks for your handy hints @Johanna1 I also often use the battery analogy.
Why do my batteries deplete so much quicker than it takes me to replenish them ???

1 Like

My pleasure Erica.

I agree replenishing batteries seems to be a challenge. I do think listening to your body and stopping when it says enough is important but a challenge

Happy New Year

Johanna

3 Likes

hi everyone, i got diagnosed with lymphoma in 2020 but along that i have been bleeding rectual for almost the same time, not if its spread but i have no been referred to the recital surgeons. anyone else going through the same thing?

3 Likes

I am so glad that you are getting checked out @Leonardo1993 please do let us know how you get on.
Look after yourself.

1 Like

Hi @Leonardo1993

I had some bleeding about a year after a stem cell transplant (for leukaemia.) It was a real worry - tge worst went through my mind. But it turned out to be colitis (ulcers on the colon) caused by a C.difficile infection (caused by my antibiotics wiping out my good gut bacteria and allowing nasty C.diff to proliferate.) There are a few things which csn cause rectal bleeding, so I hope it’s one of the easier things to sort out (I just had to take C.diff antibiotics.)

Everything crossed they identify the cause soon, and treat it for you.

All the best.

2 Likes

Hi @Leonardo1993 . I have found that since doing more exercise my fatigue hasn’t been quite so bad. It is hard to get out and exercise when you feel so fatigued, but making the effort to override how you are feeling, does have a positive effect. I do try to spend about half an hour most days doing some kind of exercise out in the fresh air. It is also good for your mental health.

2 Likes

Any one have a n idea if bb12 injection would be beneficial with our cancer?

1 Like

Hi @Leonardo1993 good question, but it is really one for your medical team as they know your whole medical history.
Please do let us know how you get on and take lots of care of yourself

quick question for anyone…im on wait and watch Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)…can anyone say if you get more tiered in winter than summer…im just back from a weeks hoilday in the sun ,and i could sleep at a drop of a penny.hard when your at work …and bothered with sore heads…

1 Like

Hi @gordo I am also a Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) watch and waiter.
I don’t think I have noticed whether I am more tired in summer or winter, but I haven’t really thought about it.
I think my fatigue was definitely a problem when I was working and I worked, slept and ran a house for several years, but for me money was a factor.
Be kind to yourself

Hi @Leonardo1993 - I’ve been living with chronic myeloid leukaemia for almost 12 years. Fatigue is one of the biggest things I struggled with, particularly in the earlier years. I found it useful to keep a diary of when I found I had most / least energy so I could see the patterns and then better learn how to manage my activity. I found a key thing is to be kind to yourself and try to tune in to what you body is telling you and listening to it. To begin with I was a great one for ploughing on through which didn’t work for me!

2 Likes

@gordo i get more tired in the winter generally, slightly different diagnosis (Acute myeloid leukaemia (AML) 2.5 years ago) The fatigue comes and goes but seem to feel better when it’s warmer outside. Just had a lovely 4 day break in Lanzarote and was full of beans, now I’m back I feel like I could sleep most of the day! Strange, I always find keeping relatively active helps :blush:

2 Likes

Oh @Suenew1967 your Lanzarote break sound wonderful to me and yes, I think the lighter, brighter and warmer days do give me a lift.
I think I am naturally a hibernator.
Yes, keeping active helps me psychologically and gives me more energy.
Look after yourself.

2 Likes

i did feel better i summer. think because its longer days out in garden. and chance to go walks etc…i find winter a bit of a shut down .dark nights .doing my best. to keep active,sometimes its hard but just soldier on.there are worse illnesses than Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL)…good to here from others …you do feel like your not in the boat yourself…because round about you you dont realy know anybody with it .

3 Likes