Confirmed Cases in School - When COVID-19 gets too close!

So, when an assistant head teacher in a primary school; a diagnosis of follicular lymphoma, previous shielding and a positive case of Covid of one of your students all come together In the same building, it’s really not a great place to be! Yes, I’m being safe, yes I’m socially distancing and yes, work has things in place but does that stop the complete panic that has now started in my head? NO!

For me it brings up lots of issues. My panic and mental well being, my husbands and my children’s. Then add on to that the expectation that you still go to work, that you’re still expected to be in a building where another case is of COVID is imminent and that you’re expected to do your job in a really stressful environment, it can only go one way - into that place of lack of control, sleepless nights, trying to act like you’re ok because you have a job, a house and children to look after.

So, with that in mind I was just wondering what other people have experienced. It may be a colleague that tested positive, your own child or someone in their school. Whatever the situation I’d really love to hear from you about how you are managing X

4 Likes

I work at a secondary school and only because I’ve only been recently diagnosed they made the decision that it was best for me to be off until I know exactly what is going on health wise before a potential return.

On most days I’m fine and have been using my time to make math tutorial videos online but I am very anxious about returning. I know my school has done it’s best in protecting everyone but still being new to having PV I am too anxious about catching something and it having more of an effect on me than the other kids and teachers . I’m also keeping my condition a secret and so unsure about staff and moreso the kids being a bit lax . I’ve been told that I maybe going into hydrodroxyruea which will make me more vulnerable to catching colds flus and been told that if I do go on it, to keep my distance from people with colds and flus and this was before covid.

Though I’m not at school at the mo… I’m sure if be feeling the exact same as you @Nichola75. The restriction of not helping kids and being close to help them effectively is going to have a huge impact of how I usually teach.

3 Likes

So far there hasn’t been an officially recognised outbreak of COVID at the university but I think that will change as the students will all be back for the first full week this week and even with the few that have been around so far, it’s already obvious that not everyone is going to follow the rules…

2 Likes

Hi @Rammie18. I think teaching is such a hard job at the moment. So many changes and restrictions that make doing your job, and supporting the children a really difficult task.
I definitely think you are doing the right thing @Rammie18. There is no rush to get back until you’re sure it’s safe.

2 Likes

Hi @Franko. Please let me know how you get on. Just keep yourself as safe as you can.

1 Like

We’ve had confirmed cases of Covid 19 on campus now. It was 4 students who brought it in from outside. I suppose it was inevitable with such a large number of people in one place. I’ll be very surprised if it doesn’t spread around and we get forced to close again. Even with all of the protective measures in place (and they have gone to a lot of trouble), it still doesn’t feel quite right.

1 Like

Nothing is 100% is it. Please let us know how things go. Are you ok?

1 Like

I’m fine. Just got that urgghh feeling I always get at the start of the academic year. It wears off as the autumn progresses :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Roll on the spring term!

1 Like

My son went back to Uni last month. He is in Leeds and I’ve lost all understanding of what lockdown means. Only six allowed in house or garden but they can play sport and go to the pub? It’s just got too confusing. They’ve had friends get tested but have all been negative, it won’t take long for that to change I’m sure as all years are in now.

2 Likes

I definitely think it will be sooner rather than later x

1 Like

Yeah and my daughter has had cases in her school too. I have agreed she only goes in for lessons to avoid being around all the kids, as it’s a huge secondary and sixth form. She is happier at home and working hardas she isn’t worried about people coughing and sneezing etc

1 Like

Such a worry for the kids isn’t it! Glad she is doing ok though. As long as she is happy!

2 Likes

I’ve spoken on here before about our experience with our son going back to high school after we fastidiously shielded as a family. We had a positive case in his year and we took the decision as a family to remain at school and he has chosen to continue to use the school bus provision. Indeed the decision to return to school was taken as a family as school we’re supporting him to stay home learning. We continue to take the precautions we feel sensible- so he sanitises his hands before touching the front door, comes in and strips and showers (uniform changed daily) before he sees us and we spray his bag and shoes and coat with a Dettol spray for the purpose. He chose to wear a face mask from the start and keeps all the rules he’s asked to (along with the rest of us). We are clear as to his sphere of responsibility and to reassure him we are all playing our part. Thanks folks

3 Likes