How are people feeling about young people going back into educational establishments soon

I am wondering how people are feeling about young people going back into educational establishments soon?
You might be a teacher, a parent, a carer, a student, a family member, a sibling, a friend, someone working in an educational establishment, a blood cancer patient etc.?

1 Like

Thank you for creating this topic Erica, it’s good to have a space for people to talk about this and share how they’re feeling about it.

1 Like

Yes @Erica, a good thing to talk about.
As a parent, I think my children need to go back to school. I’ve had my first vaccine and that makes me feel a little better, them to. Off course there is still anxiety but that’s only natural. I think they will be less anxious once they have been in. It’s so hard for children, plus the added worry of me. It will do them good to see their friends and get away from a computer screen. I’m sure we’ll have a lot more discussions and need to reassure them a lot more because I can’t give them the guarantees they want, but, day by day. I think informing the school is so important. I couldn’t have asked for more support for the girls.
As a teacher, I won’t be returning until after Easter. I must say. I feel more anxious about this than the girls returning to school. I just read the info on supporting blood cancer patients when shielding ends and I’ll be interested to see how the government responds. Until then I’ve got a few weeks so I’m trying not to think too far ahead and go to the worst case scenarios. Wish me luck!
Be great to hear how others feel X

4 Likes

I feel like a cracked record saying how households of those living with blood cancer should also be vaccinated to give us with a poor response to vaccines another level of protection.
My wife will be returning to the reception classroom to the environment where social distancing is a failed and unachievable concept. Teachers and carers in our area are not prioritised for vaccines which defies logic and the most recent science in how the vaccination helps reduce potential transmission. Teaching staff are in an environment with members not of one other household but thirty other households. Concerned you bet, still writing to my MP yes, and the PM also, but not hopeful of a sensible outcome.

4 Likes

Hi @Mel. I completely understand your frustration, as many of us do. Hopefully, if lots of us keep writing and talking about it it will air a difference. Here’s hoping :crossed_fingers: How is your wife feeling about returning?

1 Like

Hi @Mel you are so right, please keep campaigning and I know Blood Cancer UK are also on the case although not specifically teachers.
Thanks so much for all your efforts.

1 Like

I am worried.My daughter and my 6yr old granddaughter live with me.I have no confidence in the school as she plays out with her yr group of 90.The school also insist on taking the class every few weeks in a full mini bus to local woods,which probably contributed to 6 cases over xmas.The school say it’s within the rules but it’s not morally right in my opinion.
I know children not often ill with covid but granddaughters friend age 6 just spent 10 days in hospital very ill with P.I.M.S and will be monitored for at least a few years but now seems ok.
I worry school taking foolish risks and giving no thought to those at home and teaching staff.
I do however want my granddaughter to go back, but not happy with school precautions

1 Like

Hi @jenny and welcome. I completely understand your predicament- wanting your granddaughter to return but not feeling confident in the school is really difficult. I would like to think the school are following procedures. Have you or your daughter discussed this with the school? It is impossible for little ones to social distance but all we can do is hope the school are being safe. How are you managing alongside this worry?

1 Like

Hi Jenny a great big welcome to our community forum and I hope you are realising that you are not alone feeling worried.
Has your daughter spoken with her daughters school and what have they said?
If your granddaughter does go back to school perhaps it is going to continue to be a very worrying time for you all and all you can do is be careful with contact with her and take reasonable hygiene procedures.
We are here to support you with your fears, thoughts, feelings and practicalities and if you would like to talk to someone you can contact the Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 (10am-7pm Monday-Friday, and 10am-1pm Saturday and Sunday) or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk.
Please let us know how you all get on.

1 Like

Hi Erica,
Iam normally Assistant year 9 leader in a very large secondary school owning to having CLL Iam shielding but working from home.
I have had my first vaccine and will be expected back in school after Easter holidays but very anxious about returning even with mask and my employer is not that understanding
In my ideal world I would have had my second vaccine in late April and then return about 3 weeks later building up my immunity but who knows what the government say before 31st March Sorry for my long post but I know with blood cancer community I am not alone in feeling anxious

1 Like

Hi @Telephonie . That’s exactly what I’d prefer but I haven’t had that conversation yet either! Let’s hope there is some more guidance before we have to :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

As a Subject Leader (with CLL) in a large comprehensive, I’m also working from home until the end of term. So far my SLT ave been very supportive, but I agree with your concerns after Easter, and before second vaccination has impacted. My second vaccine is not until late April. Hopefully the situation will be more clear and reviewed in a month, but I must admit I’m relieved not to be returning during the government’ under prepared and underfunded ‘big bang’ experiment with schools.
I hope things look a lot better after Easter and your school are supportive of your situation when decisions on return are needed.

1 Like

Hi @RDB and welcome to the forum. I’m
Really hoping there is more guidance as it could save those, what could be, quite stressful conversations. I’m glad you school have been supportive so far, mine have as well which makes a big difference. Fingers crossed there is more clarity. I know Blood Cancer Uk are pushing for this. How have you been? Please keep me updated on how things go for you. It’s so good to hear others experiences :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Telephonie never worry how long your post is, that is what posting is for to say how it really is for you.
I am sure so many people echo your words, so your post is so useful, it makes everyone feel that they are not alone, such a comfort.
Yes, who knows what will happen before the 31 March.
The main thing is that you take care of yourself and keep posting.

1 Like

Hi @RDB a big welcome to this forum, isn’t it interesting that everyone has the same fears and apprehensions on this vital subject that affects so many.
Yes, you must also have concerns about how your employers will be in the future.
Please keep posting and let us know how you get on.
I look forward to hearing more from you.

So, just had a difficult conversation with work. I have requested that I work from home until I have my second vaccine, this wasn’t something that they thought would be viable and didn’t completely understand what the difference was from when I went back after the first lockdown. For me, it’s about having that full protection. This wasn’t available before but it is now, so to me that’s the difference. Am I just being silly in the way I’m thinking?

1 Like

Hi @Nichola75, I certainly do not think you are being silly and perhaps they do not understand the difference in effectiveness of the vaccine on the blood cancer community.
I really feel for you.
Is there anything on the Blood Cancer UK website that would help explain anything?
What is the next step?

Thanks @Erica. I have my four monthly check on Thursday so will see what my consultant says. I then have a meeting on Friday morning with work. Let’s see what the consultant says and then I might be calling for some advice. I just didn’t want it to be this difficult. I really don’t think people understand!

1 Like