Covid discussion 2021

Today I read New Zealand are on red alert over an increase in cases, over 600.
Uk new cases total today was over 32000
With respect to the concerns over actual increase, I’d rather be in New Zealand than uk.

How do people feel?

2 Likes

Hi @anon06 I am a home bird, I think I will take my chances in the UK, but I don’t think my decision is really Covid based.
Look after yourself.

2 Likes

Thanks opinions differ.
Scientists know best of course…
Take the following examples
Period a cases are 20000
Period b Cases are 10000
Period c cases are 7000
Period d cases are 6000
I would feel better about period c-d (lower numbers)but scientists would say a-b is better.

2 Likes

I’m with you on that one @anon06, but I am not a scientist.

2 Likes

The more cases the more possibility of mutations I should have thought. The more mutations the more likely one will be better at evading vaccine therefore the less cases the better? ON the other hand if your objective is to persuade people that it is all over and you can budget for c200 deaths per day then perhaps 30-40,000 cases and rising is OK

1 Like

I have a son who lives in NZ and he says very few people were willing to be vaccinated even if there had been any available. The government delayed purchasing vaccinations because the cost would have been about 43 million dollars now it is costing them 4 billion. He has been vaccinated. It appears that the virus is spreading rapidly despite the country being in lockdown. We have long thought the NZ government vaccination policy was wrong. You cannot rely on quarantine.

1 Like

Thanks @Marylin it is interesting to hear how different countries have handled the pandemic and the results of their decisions.