Covid home test kits

Hi Summer I’m sure you will, they should offer you a blood oxygen unit for two weeks they are an essential price of equipment if you are positive

1 Like

I have just watched the video about the anti viral treatments It was very informative. I had no idea i should be testing twice a week. I have only done 3 tests since the start of the pandemic! Thankfully all negative. Now i thought perhaps i should start testing more frequently so i have just been on the NHS website to order some kits and it says none available. Its not as if i have used many so i am feeling a bit miffed!

1 Like

Further update, we were contacted by the CMDU at our local hospital at 8am this morning Husband was told he had to be at the hospital by 9am (bit of a rush). He is being given an antiviral infusion they said it will take 3 hours. We seemed to have spent a lot of time waiting for calls over the weekend but happy for us the system is working and he is getting the antivirals.
On a negative note I have now tested positive for Covid to be expected I suppose but I am feeling awful like really bad flu.

3 Likes

Glad to hear your husband is getting the antiviral infusion - wishing you both a speedy recovery!

2 Likes

Don’t give up. I’ve been trying for a couple of weeks and always get the ‘Sorry no slots’ message. But something somewhere seems to be working, because kits have started arriving unannounced (no text from Royal Mail):thinking::wink:

1 Like

Just keep trying they are there,

1 Like

Hi @summer123 glad the system has kicked in for your husband.
Oh, @summer123 sorry to hear that you have tested positive for Covid and that you are really feeling awful.
Look after and be kind to yourselves.

Oh @summer123 I managed to order, with perseverance, a pack of lateral flow tests over the weekend.
Guess what 2 packs arrived this morning !!!

2 Likes

Thats odd we did mange to order a pack each and 3 packs turned up today. The antiviral infusion went well although it does take a long time, he also got his oximeter which he uses for 2 weeks.

2 Likes

Hello everyone. A lateral flow test pack arrived for me today also via Royal Mail and I have never ordered any! Very grateful. Something must be working somewhere. Warm wishes everyone. Willow X

2 Likes

keep trying ilivesunshine on the govt site for ordering the LFTs - they are released in batches thro the day so you will often get none available and just need to keep trying every few hours and you will hit the right time in the end when a batch has been released! - I have had to do that each time I have ordered - took all day yesterday but I got some at 8pm! Worth doing it this week before it all stops and we wait and see if we vulnerables can still get them free!!??

1 Like

OK so,
if you phone 119 to log a +ve test, nothing happens, they tell you cmdu will call, but they don’t.

you have to also log it on the app - 119 does NOT tell you that - (even though I was on hold for over an hour to log the £$%^&* thing) and as I don’t have a mobile phone signal, or a phone that does apps, I could have been waiting forever for CMDU to phone me back, they wouldn’t have,
I did pone the hospital number I was given, as I really don’t feel well, and they said, as I did not log it on the app, they have to e-mail cmdu, and then they will call me and triage me.

So, basically, if you don’t have a smartphone, and live in an area with a mobile phone signal - don’t expect to be contacted

They said I would be called this afternoon - crossing fingers

this is extract from 119 email
Please enter your result into the NHS COVID-19 app using this code: ------------ (removed)
If you have been advised to continue isolating, the app has all the latest guidance on self-isolation and what support is available to you.

Please make sure that you have updated your app to the latest version. Some older versions of the app do not support the latest test codes.

If you do not have the app, please download it now to help protect your loved ones and the NHS. It’s free. Just search for ‘NHS COVID-19’ in the Google Play or Apple App Store.

… they don’t say - and if you don’t have a smartphone and a mobile phone signal, then goodnight Irene

1 Like

That’s funny …. neither of us have been able to order any LFTs for over a week; not an immediate problem because rising cases mean we’re not doing much mixing, and we do have a small supply. Then husband (he’s the vulnerable one!) received a pack out of the blue this morning - not been ordered, just arrived!:blush:

2 Likes

@Ruth, @ilivesunshine - @SpaceAngel had this tip which might be useful if you’re on Twitter!

1 Like

Update
Well, they didn’t call,
I tried the hospital number again, it rang and rang for 5 minutes, then cut out, and it did the same the second time
I phoned 111 , and someone will phone me back, that was an hour ago

That’s 3 lots of people who have said they will call back, and not a single phone call

not sure what to do next

however I have another e-mail from 119, telling me I must enter my code into the app

1 Like

Oh @heatherthomas I just don’t know what to say, you must feel so frustrated and exhausted.
All I can suggest is that you ring the Blood Cancer UK support line on 0808 2080 888 after 10am in the morning or someone on your medical team.
Thinking of you loads, please let us know how you get on.
Be kind to yourself

Thank you,
111 did get back, they said they would e-mail cmdu - which has already happened, so not sure what that will do.
I also e-mailed the haematology dept, they have replied to me, saying if I don’t hear back by midday tomorrow, e-mail them again.
If I have to e-mail back, that will already be 48 hours, with no progress, it may not be worth it, I’d have missed the boat
This is a crazy system
I don’t have a “medical team” I only have whichever consultant is available, and the phone number for the dept always goes to answer phone, and it’s a day or two before they get back
We shall see if anything happens in the morning.
I am currently croaking like a frog, and it feels like there are razorblades in my throat, so the phone calls are a bit wearisome. Temp is 38.2, but at least the oximeter I purchased a while back shows 97%, so that’s good.

2 Likes

Well a bit of progress, I use the words medical team to encompass anyone within your haematology dept. as I also find I might see different members of the team quite often.
You must be feeling so rough, take lots of care and if you get worse perhaps phone 999.

2 Likes

Hope you feel better soon, @summer123 and husband, and @heatherthomas.

Heather, are you with Derriford hospital? I ring Birch reception when I need to speak to someone, or call the the transplant nurse’s mobile (which may not be applicable to you.)

Thanks for the LFT tips all - I managed to secure my first online order tonight.

2 Likes

@heatherthomas its awful the CMDU haven’t got to you yet but the Doctor my husband saw said the antivirals have to be given within 5 days of onset of symptoms so you may still be able to have them. Hope they contact you tomorrow.

3 Likes