Diagnosed with ET

Just been diagnosed with Essential Thrombocythaemia. Feel perfectly well and was picked up during a routine blood test. I have the Jak 2 mutation. Bit of a shock to be told this but I was more surprised when the consultant checked my history and said this was showing up in a blood test in 2008! I’ve had it at least 16 years and never knew.

2 Likes

Hi @JDT welcome to our forum and I am glad you have found us so quickly.
Your diagnosis must have come as a shock. I was in shock for a long time trying to take it all in.
I was diagnosed with another blood cancer whist being treated by the gynaecologist
I attach the Blood Cancer UK website details on Essential thrombocythemia (ET)
Essential thrombocythaemia (ET) - what is it, symptoms, tests and treatment | Blood Cancer UK
The Blood Cancer UK support line is also there for you on 0808 2080 888
Perhaps write down all your fears, questions and practicalities for your next appointment so you cover everything and get the responses you need.
Be kind and look after yourself and please do keep posting

2 Likes

Hi, welcome to the forum.
I have Essential thrombocythemia (ET), I was diagnosed last year and I like you came across it by chance in a blood test.
Are you on any medication?
I suppose it’s all very new at the moment, it’s taken me a year to get my head round it!!
You will get lots of support here.
Take care x

2 Likes

Hi, I’m just on a low dose of aspirin each day as I’m considered low risk. Don’t seem to be getting any symptoms as yet. Seems strange to be told you have this condition but feel well. Do you have any symptoms?

2 Likes

Yes, @JDT it does feel weird to have a condition but feel well, doesn’t it.
Also I couldn’t work out that if I had a condition why I was not being treated or operated on and then cured and I would go back to ‘normal’. My work couldn’t understand either and I could not explain it to them either.
I felt a bit of a fraud.
Look after and be kind to yourself, and as @May14 says it does take time to get our heads round it.
Keep posting @JDT and @May14

1 Like