Newly diagnosed

Hi
My first post! I was just diagnosed with Essential thrombocythemia (ET) / JAK2 last week, the day after my 70th birthday.
Just started treatment and no real idea what to expect. The paperwork was a bit unsettling.
Only 2 day in so earl days

2 Likes

Hi @sumay,
A really big welcome to our forum. It’s great you have reached out and I’m certain you will gain a lot of support from other forum users. As you have rightly recognised- everything in the early days can certainly feel unsettling and i hope we can help with that.

Our information for those newly diagnosed may be helpful for you as it talks through what to expect, offers practical support and may hopefully help answer some of the questions you have- [I’ve just been told I have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK (I've just been told I have blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK).

Can i ask how you are keeping? Can i also check if you have been given some information around Essential thrombocythemia (ET)? You may have been given our booklet already but if not i have linked to the ordering page here- Essential thrombocythaemia (ET) | Blood Cancer UK Shop.

I noticed a separate conversation started yesterday with another new member who has also recently been diagnosed with Essential thrombocythemia (ET) - Diagnosed with ET - Recent diagnosis - Blood Cancer UK Online Community Forum.

Should you ever prefer to talk things through with us, please never hesitate to get in touch with our helpline as we’d be happy to help in any way we can- Blood cancer information and support by phone and email | Blood Cancer UK.

Take good care, Lauran

2 Likes

Hi @sumay I am so glad that you have found us so quickly.
What a shock your diagnosis must have been for you just a day after your special birthday too.
I cannot really follow @LauranBloodCancerUK brilliant response.
Personally I would have been in complete shock at your stage.
What I did not take into account was the emotional effect on me as that was not talked about in those days, but I was certainly impacted. I felt in a bubble with the world going on around me.
I am 74 yrs old and I was diagnosed with another blood cancer 20 yrs ago.
Yes, the paperwork is unsettling.
The main thing I would say is to be really kind and look after yourself and please do keep posting as I look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

Thank you, it’s very reassuring to know there are people in similar situations and see how they manage. Also to see how much support is available !
It’s early days for me and still wondering when side effects might kick in.

2 Likes

Hi @sumay. I can see that @LauranBloodCancerUK and @Erica have already given great replies and I hope this has helped.
The worry of side effects are always such a worry.
Please keep us updated on how you are doing. Hoping the side effects hold off X

1 Like

Hi Nichola75
Thank you for your reply- it’s so good to be able to be in touch with others.
Only half way through week one of oral chemo so still very new and my thoughts are all over the place!
Hopefully get my head round it all soon. :blush:

3 Likes

Just take one day at a time. It’s a lot to process. Sending lots of love x

1 Like