Diagnosed With Multiple Myeloma at 22

Hi everyone,

My name is Ethan and I was diagnosed with multiple myeloma eight years in the summer of 2013. I’ve started a vlog series in hopes that it will help other people facing a cancer diagnosis. I remember how lonely it felt sometimes, which is why I’ve made these videos for others to relate to someone. The Cancer "Journey" Across An Airport Runway - YouTube

3 Likes

Hi @BecomeHipToCancer, Ethan, in the USA, welcome to our forum. Thanks for your You Tube, I always find airports can be a good place to sit and people watch, but also a scary place when I feel out of control and not sure where I should be and what I should be doing.
Yes, I did feel very lonely at diagnosis, sort of in a bubble with the world going on around me.
Take care and stay safe, have you had a vaccination yet and which one?

Ethan a warm welcome to the forum! I can only imagine what a shock your diagnosis must have been for you. Thank you so much for sharing your videos on here! How have you been getting on recently?

2 Likes

Wow @BecomeHipToCancer what an amazing thing to do. I have got Multiple Myeloma too and it was a double shock for me as I didn’t even know what it was and nobody bothered to explain for a few days after they’d broken the news. It took me a while to confront how I was feeling and I eventually wrote it all down and wrote a book which ended up being about more than my illness and was interspersed with episodes from my life and travel tales so was a mammoth task to put together. I’m glad that I did it though as it helped me come to terms with things including difficult episodes from my past. Hope that you are ok and don’t be a stranger to the forums.

3 Likes

That’s so true about feeling like a bubble! Thank you for your comment and for your feedback. I have had both doses of Moderna’s. It’s nice to know there’s a forum specific to blood cancer. Thank you.
Ethan

1 Like

I’ve been great lately! Thank you for asking. As mentioned, I was diagnosed with MM in 2013, and once I got a hip replacement in 2016, everything started turning for the better. One day at a time and trying to help others is what I try and do now!

2 Likes

I appreciate that. I’m sure that must have been really therapeutic to write. We’ve all been through a lot and I’ve found talking about the experience to be really helpful. Thank you for your support.

1 Like

It’s so good to hear that things started feeling more positive after your hip replacement Ethan. I can only imagine what a huge amount you have been through. It must have been a huge shock at first. Do you have any tips around the sorts of things that helped you in the early stages when you were first diagnosed, that you think would be useful for other young adults diagnosed with blood cancer to know? Would be so useful to hear your thoughts if you felt comfortable sharing.

1 Like