Myeloma and feeling raw

Hi , just been told I have mm, it’s like being hit with a hammer, had my first sodium drip and bloods taken , waiting for ct scan and bone marrow biopsy , suddenly those long term projects seem a distant memory, I’m expecting my new grandchild in august and at the moment feel will I ever see many birthdays, anyway sorry for the rant but feeling totally down.

3 Likes

A warm welcome to this community @Ontheup1, I’m so sorry to hear you’re feeing so down, although it’s so understandable, it must be such a lot to process. There are others on here with myeloma who I’m sure may relate to having felt similar.
If there’s anything we can do to support you, please don’t hesitate to give our free support line a call. We’re open 10am - 7pm tomorrow (Tuesday) if you want to talk things through with one of our Nurses.
Take care, Alice

3 Likes

Oh bless you
I have been living with myeloma for 7 years
I wasn’t in a good way to start with and treatment started a week after I was diagnosed
I didn’t have time to take in my diagnosis and wanted to get into some sort of remission to live for my kids
I’m a single parent and they were 15/19 at the time.
Myeloma is very treatable although not curable and more treatments have become available since 2017
I found it hit me after I had chemo and my first stem cell transplant I wasn’t sure what had just happened

Keep doing those projects and live for that grandchild and more birthdays to come while your waiting for results etc

I’m going to link you an info pack from myeloma uk

Feel free to ask any questions

1 Like

Oh, @Ontheup1 I really do feel for you and you say it so well ‘like being hit with a hammer’.
I remember that feeling so well and I was diagnosed with another blood cancer and given a 5-10 yrs life expectancy and that was 20 yrs ago.
I thought I had my life mapped out in front of me and I came straight home and wrote my will and funeral music.
It took me a long while to get over the shock and I felt I was on the uncontrollable roller coaster.
The whole language was foreign to me.
I was diagnosed at 53 yrs old and my 70th birthday was my best ever.
@Alice_BloodCancerUK and @2DB have have given you great responses and I have found our forum is the one place that I can say how it really is for me.
Be ever so kind to yourself and I really look forward to hearing more about you.

1 Like

Thank you so much for reading my post, I’m sure in time I will get my head all around this, but as I said it’s hard ,
Once again thank you x

2 Likes

Thank you, I will be leaning on this site as many people can help when times are hard
:pray:

3 Likes

So nice of you to reply with those kind words , if I can have half the courage as you I know these early days will become a lot easier
Thank you,

2 Likes