E.t.and dental work

Hi I have had Essential thrombolycemia .for over 6 years and in the last year have had to find a new dentist .I did and he said I need 3 teeth out and possible denture but he has said he won’t do on NHS as I’m a risk .I’ve asked my oncologist who has said no risk but dentist has refused to do it still as NHS.in this area it’s a waiting list over a year to get a NHS dentist.im in pain with constant toothache and just don’t know what to do .private costs I just cannot afford on pension only .any advice please

2 Likes

Hi @Barney50 a great big welcome to our forum, I have another blood cancer but in 2006 I had to have many extractions, all at once and dentures top and bottom.
My dentist would not do it and referred me to another dentist, we do not stand a chance getting an NHS dentist here.
My haematologist consultant, my doctor and the dentist all worked together and I was on antibiotics before, during and after.
I would say that it was a lot of money in the first place, but I have saved money since having had very little work done since and no more dental antibiotics.
Have you had a financial quotation for the work?
Can you pay over a period of time, without interest?
Constant toothache is no good for you mentally, medically, physically or practically.
If you have any questions please do ask.
Your wellbeing is so important, be kind to yourself.

1 Like

Hi @Barney50,

Thank you for sharing and I’m so sorry to hear of the pain you’re in and your difficulty in getting the dental treatment you need. May I ask if you used the NHS website search engine? ( Find a dentist - NHS (www.nhs.uk)). Have you by any chance tried other areas that are near yours?

I did a bit of research and read that if you’ve tried multiple NHS dental surgeries with no luck, you could call NHS England’s Customer Contact Centre on 0300 311 2233 to see if they can support you at all.

In terms of costs, I wondered if this NHS website might be useful for you at all?- Get help with dental costs - NHS (www.nhs.uk). I thought I’d share our webpages about money and work too, as it covers some information about financial support. This online checker may be worth a look to see if you’re eligible for help with dental costs- Check what help you could get to pay for NHS costs - NHSBSA.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and that you’re able to get the support you need soon.

Best wishes,
Tanya.

3 Likes

Oh Great advice and help @TanyaBloodCancerUK

Have you tried asking for a referral to your local Dental Hospital or to the Community Dental Service? I guess your dentist is worried about bleeding because of your platelet count.

1 Like