ESA has anyone claimed for it or are you eligible to claim?

Has anyone claimed for ESA (Employment and Support Allowance) or are you eligible to claim?
You have to be under state pension age and unable to claim statutory sick pay or job seekers allowance.
You can apply for ESA if you cannot work while you are self isolating or shielding because of Covid 19.

• you or your child might have coronavirus or you’re recovering from it
  • you or your child are self-isolating because you came into contact with someone who might have coronavirus
  • you’ve been advised by your doctor or healthcare professional to self-isolate before going into hospital for surgery
  • you’ve been advised to shield because you’re at a very high risk of severe illness from coronavirus
    My letter that I received from the government when we went into Tier 4 said that I was classed as clinically extremely vulnerable and to shield.
    You can apply whether you’re in or out of work.
    See the gov.uk website or search ESA.
    It would be interesting to hear other peoples thoughts and experiences of eligibility and outcomes.
3 Likes

Hi.
I’m a ESA claimant. I’ve been on it for many years. In my own personal experience, I found that the assessments which are every 2 years were terrible. The assessors did not appear to understand what is involved in blood cancers and the mental and physical health issues that come with it. Even though I gave medical information and letters from my doctor/consultant, it was still hard work trying to talk to them about my mental and physical issues. It’s the same thing with PIP. I got given the impression that they actually ignore the medical information and letters and are trying to find ways to stop you receiving payments. Sorry if this sounds Harsh, but I’ve never had any good experiences with the assessments people/DWP, and that’s even with a social worker assisting me. It felt like I was on trail for a crime. I have a ESA assessment coming up soon and I’m dreading it. Again, I must stress that this is my own personal experience, some other people may of had it better or had no problems getting it.

1 Like

Hi @Clilau1960, at least I am not the only person who finds assessments so stressful especially when I get the feeling that the other person is trying to find reasons to turn down my application. Also in interviews or exam situations I just freeze and my mind goes blank or I know what I want to say and absolute gibberish come out of my mouth.

1 Like

Yes Erica I know how you feel. I complained about this to my local MP (Leo docherty) and he forwarded my email to the relevant government department. I got a reply, which didn’t really answer my questions about assessments. To be honest, I was expecting a load of BS from them. Ironically my local MP Leo docherty is often involed in blood cancer charities. I was hoping that he would personally get involved and look further into the matter. My social worker who is part of Vivid housing association, has told me that she deals with so many cases on a regular basis, against the assessment organisation/DWP, and the DWP lose in the vast majority of cases. It shouldn’t be hard to make a claim, especially with medical proof of a person’s illness and mental health etc.

1 Like

Thanks @Clilau1960, can anyone else share their experiences?

Hello everyone. I have been claiming ESA for many years, not just due to blood cancer but also other physical disabilities. I too have had issues with the DWP and have had to appeal against their decisions. Every time my appeal has been successful but not without a lot of effort and stress and sleepless nights. Macmillan benefits advisors have been a great help. I was able to access them because of having blood cancer and it was through the Citizen’s Advice Bureau. My heart goes out to others who have been or who are in this position especially at the moment. Warm wishes. Willow

1 Like