ET Hydroxycarbomide

Hi Everyone,
I’ve found the forum really helpful since my Essential thrombocythemia (ET) JAK2 diagnosis 4yrs ago.
I take Hydroxycarbomide daily, double dose at the weekends.
I’m looking for help as my arthritic hip needs some help now and I’ve been advised not to combine Hydroxycarbomide and Ibuprofen. Paracetamol is no longer helping and I really need an anti-inflammatory.
Anybody had a similar experience I wonder ?

3 Likes

Hey there @Coppelia, sorry to read of your diagnosis with Essential thrombocythemia (ET) and that hip arthritis. I’ve got a different but similar Myeloproliferative neoplasms (MPN) to you, Polycythaemia vera (PV), and also take hydroxyurea daily.

While this isn’t a medical opinion, and I understand some might not want to try it, I swear by CBD lotion for aches and pains. It’s the non-psychoactive part of cannabis plants and as such is legal where I am, perhaps there too?

I was actually deeply skeptical of CBD being anything other than a fad, but it really works on inflammation like nothing else I’ve tried except opioids, which are obviously horribly addictive. CBD has none of that and won’t make you high, but it will ease aches and pains if my experience is anything to go by.

1 Like

I’m sorry to hear about your health challenges, but it’s great to hear that you’ve found the forum helpful in navigating them. It’s important to heed medical advice regarding medication interactions, especially with conditions like Essential Thrombocythemia (Essential thrombocythemia (ET)) and the treatment you’re undergoing. You can try alternative pain relievers.

1 Like

Hi @Coppelia great that you have posted.
Perhaps this is a question for your medical team to consider what anti=inflammatory they now suggest.
Please do let us know what they suggest.
Really be kind to yourself until you have this resolved.

1 Like

Thanks Duncan, I’m certainly open to trying cbd, I’d forgotten about it so thanks for the reminder.

1 Like

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1 Like

Thanks Erica, I’ve spoken with my pharmacist but there is nothing over the counter, I need to speak with the consultant, which isn’t easy but my next appt is very soon. Onward and upwards :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @Coppelia I always tell my medical team if I am considering taking anything.
Perhaps just check out the use of CBD with them at your appointment, there are differing thoughts about it’s usage and very different types of the product too.
Please do let us know what they say.
Really look after yourself

1 Like

Yes I should have also pointed out like @Erica kindly suggested that adding anything new into our home first aid and self-care should be checked with doctors first, just in case of contraindications with our medicines and treatments. For example, one of my medicines means I can’t have grapefruit!

1 Like

You are right, @Duncan a lot of people, including me, cannot have grapefruit.

1 Like