Going back to work after shielding

Thank you for sharing that Myrdin. There is some really helpful information in that piece.

1 Like

Very useful information!

1 Like

Gosh @Telephonie this sounds really stressful for you, I’m sorry you’re going through all this uncertainty at the moment. Have you managed to speak to anyone over the last couple of weeks about what provisions they’re putting in place?

1 Like

It’s difficult isn’t it @Telephonie. I was thinking about my risk asssessment when I return to school which hasn’t been completed as yet. Have you got a number for anyone you can call if you are not getting a response from email?

1 Like

Hi I have been purshing my school with the completion of risk assessment since June They told me on 17/7 (last time I heard from them) it was ready to be sent but they had one final item to complete. Heard nothing since. I am concerned as I want to return to work, but I have been advised by union need to have assessement in place first. I was wondering if this is happening for other staff around the country who have had to shield like myself?

1 Like

So @Telephonie, you really are having continuing problems, it must be so frustrating for you as you obviously want to return to your school. Perhaps it might be worth emailing them finally again and copying your union rep and the head of your school as the government really seems to be pushing all schools to open for the new term. I know it is you that is having to do the chasing, but to me it is like me having to do all the social distancing outside, it is to my advantage so I do it. Please let us know how the saga evolves and how you are.

1 Like

I think it would be a good idea to email and copy in your union rep as @erica suggested. I’ll be calling my headteacher in the next couple of weeks to find out a bit more about it. It must be really stressful having to chase it. I know I’m feeling really anxious like you. The good thing is that you have the support of your union. Let us know how you get on and I’ll do the same x

2 Likes

Hi @Alibick how have you been doing over the last month? Did you manage to get written advice from your consultant? Hope you’re doing okay.

1 Like

I know several people on here have expressed anxiety about any possible return to work and what it might mean for their condition. My employers I think are taking it seriously. The same sort of markings are in place as supermarkets as well as sanitisers, PPE and screens. Initially no students will be allowed in, just staff on a rota basis to do stock work. We will offer a click and collect book service so students can book a time slot to collect up to 5 books that we have prepared for them in advance. They do need to book in advance though and the books will be handed to them at the entrance so they won’t be allowed in. In September we will be trialing bookable study spaces for a maximum of 4 hours with 2 bookable slots per day. The number of spaces will be vastly reduced and students won’t be allowed to browse the books and must remain at their desks the whole time. All books returned will have to be quarantined for 72 hours. I’m sort of reassured by all of this. When I did my personal risk assessment on Thursday I ranked myself ready to return to work, so it’s possible I may be doing one or two shifts a week in the actual building for the first time since March. How do other people feel about their place of employment?

3 Likes

I am retired, but an interesting topic to bring up @Franko Wishing you all the best on your return. It sounds as if there has been a great deal of thought put into making things safe for all. Let us know how you get on

1 Like

Hi @Franko. It seems like there Is a lot in place and that your employers are taking it really seriously and it’s good that you feel able to return gradually.
I’ll be returning to my job as assistant head teacher in a primary school in September. As part of the leadership team, I am up to date on all the risk assessments that have been put in place. It’s fine seeing it on paper but another thing going back when you haven’t been there for 6 months. We only have staff in for the first few days which is when my risk assessment will be completed. However, I’ll be asking for a discussion before then just so I know what to expect. The office I’ve been working in will be changed and there may be some opportunity to work from home. I’ll keep you updated!
Please let us know how you get on :blush:

2 Likes

Hi Franko, I’m self employed but my job requires me to go into people’s homes to do surveys on the property. We’re asking all householders to vacate the property while we do the survey as it’s difficult to socially distance in small properties. They all agree to this when I make the appointment with them but when my husband turns up to do the survey they say “don’t worry I haven’t got anything” and want to stay in the house. Shielding in Wales ends on 16th August but I don’t feel safe going back to work. I can’t make everyone else’s house covid safe. I can stay on furlough for a while and work from home, but we only get paid for every survey that we complete so I’ll have to go back out soon. My husband can’t do enough surveys on his own to support both of us. It’s a very worrying time for us all.

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Geri. It sounds like a very worrying time for you. I should imagine that you have to be careful when doing the surveys, touching doors etc. Are people keeping socially distant/wearing masks, when you visit? Can they be in an adjoining room while you do the survey? I know many people would be wary of leaving a stranger unaccompanied on their property

1 Like

Hi @Geri, a great big welcome to our forum. It must be an anxious time as you cannot control other people and you also have financial implications as well. We are all in different situations but what we share are the anxieties, fears and very difficult dilemmas. We are all here for you to be able to share what it is like to be you and you can contact the wonderful Blood Cancer UK Support Services Team on 0808 2080 888 10am-7pm Monday-Friday and 10am to 1pm Saturday and Sunday or via email at support@bloodcancer.org.uk if you need to.

1 Like

Hello Pisces56, we’re asking everyone to open all internal doors to prevent contact and disinfecting a workplace area to put paperwork on. About 75% of people are happy to wait in the garden or go for a walk. Those that aren’t are asked to wait in one room, but they often forget as they’re more relaxed at home, they wander into the kitchen to make themselves a cuppa or just want to stand and chat. My husband has to tell people to back away as his wife’s got leukaemia. Most do listen but I’m very worried about going back out myself. I’m not as confident as him to tell people to keep away. I can stay on furlough until October and hopefully by then there will be even less cases in the community. I hope everyone else is keeping themselves safe.

2 Likes

I can’t imagine what it must be like for you @Geri at a time like this. At least the one thing I’ve been able to say through the last 5 months is that I’ve stayed employed (for now) and have had no money worries. I don’t think most people realise what shielders have had to face and people are very blase about masks and social distancing I’ve found on my excursions out. When the second lockdown cometh then they might start to realise…

3 Likes

Hi Geri, I have found I have to move away from others sometimes more than them making the first move, but who cares. I find wearing a mask does remind people to stay away, or is it because I look so scary?? I did invest in a Blood Cancer UK mask and shielding badge from the Blood Cancer UK site and they seem to work and look quite smart.

2 Likes

Hi @Geri and welcome to the forum! I can understand the worry this may be causing for you and your husband. It’s sounds like you have a good system in place but it’s if everybody sticks to it isn’t it. It’s a tough one. Some good ideas there @Pisces56.

3 Likes

@Erica brilliant suggestion about the Blood Cancer UK masks and the shielding badge.
@Geri there are also sunflower lanyards available from https://hidden disabilitiesstore.com which are becoming more recognised and show shopkeepers, supermarket assistants and others that the wearer may be more wary when out, perhaps because of hearing, asthma, cancer treatment, and are also being worn by those exempt from wearing masks

2 Likes

I probably look scarier without the mask to be honest! I have managed to keep my distance from people mostly though. It does seem to be down to me though. I’m used to travelling on buses again now and have overcome my fear. We’re still a long way from 4th base but each little thing feels like a victory.

4 Likes