Has anyone had Antibody treatment for Covid?

Hi just wondering if anyone has received the covid antibody treatment and if so did you feel it was beneficial? I have Chronic lymphocytic leukaemia (CLL) and have just succumbed to covid, ive been offered the treatment but i haven’t heard of anyone who has had it? Thank you

2 Likes

Hi @Maria.G63 sorry to hear that you have just succumbed to Covid.
I believe it is also important if you were going to accept the antibody treatment that you have it quite quickly.
There are members on here who have had to fight for or been given antibody treatments when they have been diagnosed with Covid.
It is always difficult to know if a treatment has been beneficial because you do not know what you would have been like if you did not have the treatment.
I hope you get some responses soon and take lots of care of yourself.

2 Likes

Hi @Maria.G63 hope you’re doing okay. You may want to take a look at this blog Blood Cancer and Covid: What happens if you test positive? | Blood Cancer UK as people with blood cancer who have had Covid treatment talk through their experiences.
We also have some information on our webpage here about these treatments - Antibody and antiviral treatments for people with blood cancer | Blood Cancer UK. There is a section titled What if I’m not sure about having covid treatment? which you might find useful to read through.

Please feel free to give us a call on our support line if you want to talk things through (0808 2080 888) and if you haven’t already we would really encourage you to talk any concerns you have through with your clinical team. Take care, Alice

3 Likes

Hi @Maria.G63

Sorry to hear you’ve been unfortunate and contracted Covid. Although I haven’t had the antibody treatment my father in law who is 78 and just recently finished treatment for lymphoma had the antibody treatment when he contracted Covid recently. He had no side effects and he said he’d had worse effects from clods than he had from his dose of Covid. All in all in has case it seemed very effective.

I hope this is helpful. Also I hope you feel better soon.

All the best,

Peter

2 Likes

Hope that you’re able to get this sorted out @Maria.G63 . I’m sure it is a source of worry. I haven’t had the treatment or Covid but I seem to have been listed to have it if I should succumb as I was sent both LFT and PCR’s through the post along with instructions to speed up any reporting if I test positive so that I can get the treatment. A rare occasion when the medical profession seems to have been proactive towards me.

2 Likes

Thank you for the responses, unfortunately i wont be having the antibody treatment as they dont do it in my local hospital & the nearest is 45min drive but due to another health condition on top of covid im not well enough to get there. So im crossing my fingers that the covid doesn’t get any worse as for now its bearable, bit like having flu :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

Thank you Alice that was a really helpful and informative link x

2 Likes

I’m sorry to hear that the logistics around receiving the treatment are so tricky for you - have you talked to your haematology team and the CMDU about the reasons why you’re not able to get to the hospital? They may be able to discuss other options with you if they haven’t already. Do keep us updated if you’re feeling up to it - fingers crossed for a speedy recovery!! Take lots of care.

2 Likes

Hi @Maria.G63 I am so sorry logistically and medically you cannot get the antibody treatment.
If you would like the antibody treatment perhaps it is worth discussing your logistic and medical problems and asking them what they can do for you.
If you are going to cross your fingers, look after yourself and be kind to yourself and please let us know how you get on.

1 Like

I have follicilar lymphoma and am having 8 weekly obinutuzumab maintenance treatments.
I tested positive 2 weeks ago on a Tuesday. First thing on Wednesday morning i had a phone call from a doctor at the Ulster Hospital Covid unit who offered me either oral or the infusion antivirals. I opted for the paxlovid tablets which were delivered to my house at 2pm that afternoon by a man in a van from the hospital. I had a sort of metallic taste in my mouth for the 5 day course. I tested negative on day 7. My son, who didnt get the antivirals, tested negative on day 9. We both had mild cases though.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing your experience @Blue99! Glad to hear you and your son both had mild cases!

2 Likes