Has your diagnosis made you or encouraged you to take up any new hobbies/interests?

For me my diagnosis has really changed my outlook on life, now I am much more confident in some ways. I think its the big wake up call it gives you. I have carried on many of my interests but also I’ve started ones that before I didn’t have the confidence to. Has anyone else changed in this way?

One of the main things I no do and love doing is writing, as I child I loved to write little stories but as I got older I didn’t because it seemed too difficult and I was scared what people would think. Since my diagnosis I started my blog which in the beginning was just for me really. But over the past two years I have had some wonderful feedback and made some friends overseas, my writing has gone from strength to strength, I am now a contributor for the Huff Post which is my dream!

I also love crafts and now will attempt anything which I never would have done before!!
So interesting how it all affects you… anyone else ?

1 Like

I have found that there are many things I can’t do anymore…go to classical concerts (because I have a disruptive cough), and play the piano (backache) being among them. I guess the big change is getting involved in Bloodwise and its various volunteering opportunities

2 Likes

My diagnosis really made me look at my life. At my age I don’t care what I look like so I now take Zumba classes and fitstep classes(‘Strictly’ dance routines with exercise mixed in and no partners). I have always wanted to learn to dance but did feel myself a natural mover.
I take pilates classes and body balance classes ( routines combining yoga, pilates, tai chi, balance and relaxation) which helps my fitness and strength, which also helps my osteoporosis.
I love my music- anything from the 60’s onwards.
I read a lot of books or on my kindle, again anything, but I am into murders at the moment.
I love people and their interactions and I talk to everyone and that really makes me feel good.
I also walk a lot which is a brilliant occupation for anyone as nosey as me, it’s free and gets me out in the fresh air.
Everything I do makes me feel good.

3 Likes

There are so many losses with a blood cancer diagnosis that do not get talked about aren’t there? I have had to make great changes or do things in a different way. You certainly have got involved with Bloodwise, take care.

2 Likes

Thank you @Erica. I gave up worrying about my looks and weight a long time ago, and if I was in an accident there would be no problem identifying me from my scars. Unfortunately with my heart/lung problems I soon lose puff, so getting around the supermarket is a plus these days. I had a magic moment this afternoon when some wet stuff fell from the sky for about 5 minutes, so I twirled around in the garden for the duration. Happy day!

2 Likes

Oh, I have a lovely mental picture of you twirling around your garden.

3 Likes

Yes Erica you are completely right, there are many loses that come with a blood cancer diagnosis that don’t get talked about. I am still struggling to get back into exercise three years on. But I must be an optimist because I keep trying!! I have found the fatigue overwhelming and hard to over come. I love both yours and Louise’s attitude to your life after diagnosis, you always help to lift my spirits… thank you! I took up tap dancing again (I did it for many years as a youngster) and even did a dance in my daughter’s Dance School show!
I love music too… it never fails to life my mood, I have a very eclectic taste from rock to classical! Social interactions with the right people is also a really good tonic though at times I also find myself being a bit of a recluse depending on how I am coping.
Writing has been a massive thing for me since my diagnosis and it has been so cathartic and opened many doors and I hope many more. It’s something I always wanted to do but now Leukaemia has given me the guts to do it!!

5 Likes

Sounds like a lovely moment and sometimes moments are all we need to make us happy

2 Likes

Music has been my saviour, as always, and well done on the tap dancing and writing. I think we just have to keep on doing what we can, when we can. If you have not seen the Bucket List with Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson I can highly recommend to anybody going through cancer or post treatment.

1 Like

Absolutely Louise, it just took me a bit of time to realise this. Acceptance has been a big part of happiness for me.
Music has been my saviour too… I’ve always had a big love for it, both parents play and teach music instruments and sing in local choirs so I guess its in the genes!!
I will add the film you suggest to my ‘watchlist’ thanks for the suggestion.

3 Likes

I’ve taken steps to lessen the pressure in my job, and have taken on a different role. Some might say it’s going backwards! But for me it is definitely onwards and upwards in terms of my health. I have no interest in titles, just remaining well. I’ve also started a Pilates instructor course. I’m not sure what the end game is yet but it feels good to have a positive focus and be learning the science behind Pilates that I’ve been doing for 18yrs.

3 Likes

Hi Carina @MissP143. Reassessing our lifestyles and taking on a different role is never a backward step. It is no good building up money in the bank and having a title if you don’t have good health. Well done on taking that step. Good luck in your course…As one door shuts, another opens

3 Likes

I have started a book,i read more,do photography, watercolour painting and make my own cards for friends and family. I enjoy being outside drawing and using my camera.

4 Likes

Oh @NewYork2011, sounds good to me, I love my music, anything from the 60’s, and reading, now mostly murder stories. Take care.

1 Like

Hi Definitely not a backwards step for you, I would say it is getting more balance in your life. I am also a pilates girl, I do not care what I look like at 68yrs old, and it has also so, so helped my osteoporosis, strength and well being. Look after yourself and let us know how your pilates instructor course goes.

2 Likes

Hi @NewYork2011 … I have done exactly the same, all the things I had always wanted but never got around to. I started writing my blog, quotes, poems etc, got a DSLR camera and have done and do lots of crafting. It is something that this experience has given me, the drive to get on and do these rather than either not have the confidence or time.

2 Likes

Hi,i fill my life with my hobbies,i never did half as much as i do now. For some reason it has given me more drive and determination to enjoy every day.xxx

3 Likes

I fully agree, like the words ‘drive and determination to enjoy every day’ xx

2 Likes

I fully agree with Louise, its certainly not a step backwards… I would say its realising what you really want from life and balance, sounds like you have the right balance, your job role as well as doing something you have always loved… Pilates. I only have interest in remaining well and being happy, fulfilled, whatever that means to you. I’ve just started Pilates and I am loving it, after my treatment left me so weak and with so many aches and pains.

2 Likes

Anna, join the pilates buddies, I swear by it, I have been in positions I never believed existed and I have muscles I have never had before. MissP143 above is even becoming an instructor

3 Likes