Has your diagnosis made you or encouraged you to take up any new hobbies/interests?

@AnnaMam and @MissP143 . I wanted to copy you in my reply to Anna above. I hope to hear more about your pilates experiences. Pilates has so helped my osteoporosis in my back. I used to be 5in taller 7 yrs ago.

1 Like

Hello @MissP143,

I wanted to know how your Pilates instructors course going? @Erica, have you ever thought about being an instructor as well?

@NewYork2011,

How is the reading going and also the photography? Have you been reading anything interesting lately? ANy famous authors?

1 Like

Hi Erica, yes I agree about getting more balance in life. I can give myself permission to do the craft kits or listen to music, or go out and see a film, rather than saving it all up to do ‘sometime’. My son and I sit down with a cup of tea and watch programmes together more - and I’ve even started going to the gym!! So it’s definitely encouraged me to make time for important things…have you been on a murder mystery event? I expect you’ll make a great detective :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi Josh, I have no wish to train to be a pilates instructor, I want to be a participant, I learn something new every class, even if it is how not to do it. Hi @MissP143 I would also love to know how your pilates course is going?

1 Like

Hi @NewYork2011, I would also be interested in hearing how you are using your camera?

1 Like

Hi Joanna, yes balance is good in practice I seem better at see sawing. The giving myself permission is what I find hard, when growing up sitting and reading was considered lazy. I have never been to a murder mystery event because they are usually evenings and they are not my hubby’s sort of thing. I hear they do daytime outside ones with apps now. I don’t know about being a great detective or sleuth, I more lean to the Tony Hancock approach in The Jury. I would like to know if you have ever been to a murder mystery event and what you are getting up to at the gym?

1 Like

Love reading i recommend B A Paris, all 3 are excellent. Currently reading The Night circus, very slow going. Love thrillers the most.

1 Like

Hi i use my camera to photograph my local park through the seasons, im writing a book on my experience and the history of the park and how its helped me focus since diagnosis.

3 Likes

It’s going slowly, but steadily! I only started s month ago. Am currently doing the anatomy and physiology part which is quite intense. Soooo many muscles and bones!

1 Like

I’m not convinced I’ll teach it but it gives me options. And having done it for 18years I feel o should understand it more! Usually I zone out in classes. But now I’m trying to think about what I’m moving, how I’m moving etc. I’m enjoying it but it’s certainly challenging when I work fT, but it’s also a welcome distraction from a job I despise!

2 Likes

Hi NewYork, What a brilliant idea photographing your local park through the seasons and writing your book and what a focus. Please keep us posted how you are getting on and your experiences.

1 Like

I am all for options. It must be challenging to study when you work f/t, but it sounds as if you are studying something you enjoy. Please do let us know about the course and how it is going?

1 Like

Im on chapter 8,keeps my mind active and if i can help just one person who has what we have ,it’ll be worth it.

3 Likes

I have been going to pilates for a few weeks now and I am loving it… I am also planning on doing some of the exercises at home. Its ideal for post blood cancer treatment recovery

3 Likes

I love this idea, photographing a your local park through the seasons and writing about its history. I’ve also found my love for history, researching, educating myself and developing new skills has been massive since my diagnosis. I tend towards medical history (probably because I work as a pharmacy technician), researching my leukaemia, British History and other bits. I love photography too!

3 Likes

Photography is amazing, you can capture a story from a few photos, ive always wanted to write a book,and if it helps someone else it’ll make me happy. So pleased you get enjoyment from it too. Good luck with your book.

3 Likes

Absolutely… lovely to meet like minded people here… I would be very pleased if you’d take the time to check out my blog butterflyinremission.com , thanks and good luck with yours

2 Likes

Will be delighted to. It is lovely to meet like minded people.

1 Like

@AnnaMam I am so glad you are loving pilates, so do I. The feel good factor and it has saved my osteoporosis back. Yes, I also have a pilates DVD which I can follow at home, if I move all the furniture. Do you know I absolutely hate the lithe, bendy, lycra wearing pilates instructor in that DVD !!! I find going to classes means I also have the social side and everyone is lovely and supportive. As I have said before I usually wear my red Bloodwise tee shirt so I am a walking advert for Bloodwise as well. We must keep comparing notes.

1 Like

Hiya,

I love this thread because I can definitely relate to it. I agree that it’s all about reassessing what’s important to you and getting the balance based on that new enlightenment. I used to spend way too much time at work, just to earn pennies that I had no time to spend!

I took up dressmaking when I was going through treatment and whilst it’s pretty full on in terms of a physical process, I really love the creativity - I’m just slower than most, haha. I also love writing, I just need to be brave enough to start regularly blogging and I’m starting to exercise again - which is something I missed massively when I was diagnosed. I love the idea of trying out pilates.

Whilst I wouldn’t say I was grateful for Leukaemia, I’m definitely grateful for finding these creative activities that help me to have balance in my life x

5 Likes