Hi I’m being advised to have SCT and I’m very worried. I would be grateful to hear from people thank you

@petergreenfield like Alice said it will be different for everyone. My timings were effected by other things going on in my life and some stages had to be put back because I had made lots of plans for the year thinking that now my chemo was over that my life was my own again (wrong!). I also got heavily delayed by the wait for a bed and the fact that I had 3 stem cell harvests. In all from first consultation to being discharged after the transplant took almost 6 months but there were lots of gaps in between stages eg difficulty fixing dates for things and having to wait until one became available. If you condensed all the stages into the number of days actually taken to do everything, it was probably only about 5 or 6 weeks. Again not an exact science and it may be different for you depending on your circumstances.

3 Likes

Hi @Summertime,

How are you feeling today? Every day is a step forward to recovery even though I had some uggy times. I remember my hospital team wrote my blood scores on a white board every day. Once the neutrophils started to reappear, I found it very motivating.

I hope you are able to draw some strength from your named visitors. I had my Stem cell transplant in the midst of the pandemic and was not allowed to see anyone at all. Zoom was a great help, though. I put my iPad on the table and tried to imagine that my family were sitting opposite me, although nothing can beat moral support from actual family or friends there with you.

Like @Fullofbeans, I feel amazing now too. The more challenging days were well worth it.

Thinking of you and hoping that each day brings you closer to feeling stronger.

5 Likes

Thank you @Coastgirl I have put an update in Awaiting a stem cell transplant but generally I think I’m doing ok. Feeling very sleepy and headachey but I can cope with that xxx

5 Likes

Well done! It takes so much courage to go through a transplant and you sound very brave.

I read about one person, an another forum, who said they slept and slept for quite a few days and suddenly woke up and felt better. I hope you are getting good rest when you feel sleepy.

Wishing you all the very best.

4 Likes