How do you get a peaceful nights sleep? Any tips?

Hi Nichola

Oh how I know the feeling. I can’t remember when I had a decent nights sleep.
I have tried all the usual suggestions but to no avail. It doesn’t matter what time I go to bed I’m still wide awake by 3.30 or 4 at the latest, and wake up in between. I don’t sleep during the day but not always successful at keeping awake in front of the telly.
Go to bed feeling really tired the as soon as I lie down it’s like a light bulb going on.
Tapping has helped but for a short while, Brad Yates is very good.
At the moment I’m trying an app called Insight Timer, it has loads of free meditations, hypnotherapy, mindfulness and music for sleep. So far I haven’t found the right one! If fact after the hypnotherapy I was wide awake!
Anyone got a sledgehammer ?

3 Likes

There are lots of good ideas on here. A while ago there was a thread on the forum with sleep and relaxation ideas but i haven’t been able to locate it. One problem I had was when I was on steroids, and became like the Duracell bunny!
I find reading a book or watching a TV programme with a complicated storyline soon exhausts me. When I was having treatment 13 years ago I used Molton Brown sleep mist, but now use It Works Deep Sleep products (mist and bath salts) which are available at a department store previously stocking St Michael products (Yep, I’m ancient!)
I also lie in bed and tense each part of my body, then relax it, working from my feet up to my face, and then back again.
@Erica I am with you there on the bladder calls. A good night is going more than 2 hours between visits…and i even dream about trying to find a loo!!!
Sweet Dreams and hope you all find something that works for you xx

1 Like

That all sounds so frustrating! I’m going to have a listen. Let us know if you find one that works for you xxx

1 Like

Some more good tips @Pisces56. I have a few weeks of activities and suggestions to try! :blush:

2 Likes

Hi @Nichola75. It must be particularly bad trying to get to sleep at the current time with this incessant heat! I know it sounds stupid but I put the the 10 o’ clock news on and that helps me drift off at least for 3 or 4 hours :slight_smile: I don’t often sleep all the way through the night even at the best of times. I’ve just got out of the habit and my body doesn’t let me sleep through any more. In some respect working from home has helped as I haven’t had to travel to work. Hope some of the suggestions on here have helped you.

3 Likes

Is that news on BBC or ITV? :rofl::joy::rofl:

1 Like

I have plans to try lots when I return from my break in Devon.I have started putting my phone away an hour before bed and I do think that has helped.

2 Likes

I’ve used bedtime stories for adults. Just gentle meandering stories and they put me out like a light. If I wake up later, I just put another on.

4 Likes

Hi @Mandy1, welcome to your online community forum! Thank you for contributing to the forum, we hope this will be a useful platform for you. Adult bedtime stories seems interesting, I’m going to have to give it a go and see if it works for me. Thanks for sharing. Enjoy the rest of your Monday.

2 Likes

Hi @Mandy1, welcome to our community forum and thanks for your handy hint. I am in the middle of a really good book on my kindle but perhaps there are too many murders going on, not exactly a meandering story. It sounds as if you are listening to your story, what is that on?

2 Likes

Welcome to the forum @Mandy. It’s lovely to meet you. I’d completely forgot that we did this as an activity as part of a wellbeing day at work. I didn’t take part but everybody loved it. Any suggestions? Thanks for reminding me off it! How have you been managing in lockdown and this heat!?!

2 Likes

Hi Nicola 75 I can entirely relate to your specific sleep problem, I too, am up four or five times a night. My problem is one common to older men and their water works.Yours seems to be your cancer. I was diagnosed two years ago with CLL, and after the intitial shock, research, support, and finally acceptance and resolve, not to let it take over my life, I was able to put it to bed, so to speak. So I’m afraid it’s a state of mind thing. I appreciate that it is difficult for many to come to terms with our diagnosis. However, it is achievable Nicola, so please do not give up hope. You may that find some type of therapy with a professional might help.Personally, after talk talk talking with people I trusted, I gained all the information I needed to cope. I then decided how I was going to deal with it, then got on with my life. I may have made it sound easy, it’s not, but it is well worth a try. Hope this helps. Ron

2 Likes

Thank you @Vindicatrix. I’ve had counselling/therapy and it’s helped in a lot of ways - just not with sleep. However, I have lots of things to try here. I agree, coming to terms with it is a different journey for everybody and we just take it day by day.

2 Likes

So good to hear that your anxiety has pretty much gone and that you haven’t had a panic attack for over a year. Really glad you found things that worked for you, thank you so much for sharing them on here @Fozzie

3 Likes

So, what have I tried so far??? Mobile
phone and tv off at least an hour before bed. This has helped a lot in just relaxing the mind. A few off the apps have been really useful as well. I’m still waking quite a lot (at least 3 times a night) but will continue to work through the suggestions. I have been listening to audio books again but still haven’t managed to finish a book :joy: I do wonder if the added worry of returning to work is making it all a little worse. Let’s see what it’s like when I get back. Thanks again all!

2 Likes

I had a flashbulb moment at the weekend, as I had slept a little better for a couple of nights…and realised I had been eating cherries! A friend once told me that she had a glass of cherry juice each night to help sleep .After a terrific thunderstorm and downpour last night we had a more comfortable night. Looks as if another one is on its way :blush:

2 Likes

Oh @Pisces56, cherry juice sounds lovely, I must try it.

1 Like

And me! It does sound lovely.

1 Like