How do you get a peaceful nights sleep? Any tips?

I just type into google bedtime stories for adults and various options come up. A lady called Michelle has a lot to choose from. Hope it works for you. X

4 Likes

Buy a really good mattress or a good quality mattress topper
Panda make a lovely one (see their web) make room dark cool and quiet NO electronics perhaps a sleepy tea before retiring zzzzz

2 Likes

Hi @vulcanbomber, thanks for the handy hints. It was not until my son (aged 47yrs old!) brought his own place and brought a new bed did I realise how comfortable a bed could be. He has a very deep mattress and a handy hint is that M&S were one one the few places to sell reasonably priced fitted bottom sheets in various colours, and at the time he looked at the sheets in store and brought them on line and they were delivered, free of charge, to his M&S local.

2 Likes

I definitely need a better mattress! How are you @vulcanbomber?

1 Like

Hi Nichola how are you getting on.
im having good and bad nights, i really thought things were getting better. ive kept to all i listed - usually once a week i sleep well, feel over the moon but am floored the next day when im back to square one. starting to get upset about it now and finding the tears are flowing quite often. The past few nights ive closed my bedroom door and window as i found noise was waking me. All i can do is keep trying. let me know how you are doing xx

2 Likes

Hi @Angie, gosh your sleep ups and more downs sound very wearing. If the tears are flowing quite often perhaps it would be time for me to contact my GP. For me keeping to a routine helps no matter how much I have slept the day before and of course no caffeine, scary stories or appliances late at night. You certainly seem to have been trying everything. Keeping a list is a brilliant idea because patterns can then be seen. Please keep us updated of how you are getting on and if you contact your GP please let us know how you get on with that.

1 Like

Hi @Angie. Thanks for checking up on me. I’m having a tough time this week as well. Perhaps there is something in the air! I completely understand your frustration. Sometimes things improve don’t they and then go back to normal. I’m really not sure what the answer is and I’m not sure it will ever completely resolve itself! @Erica suggestion of contacting the GP may be something for you to consider? Someone suggested hypnotherapy but I don’t know much about that. I am going to keep a sleep diary as well and see if I can notice any kind of pattern. Please let me know how you go over the next couple of days and use us to vent. Wishing you a better nights sleep tonight x

1 Like

Hi Nichola, lovely to hear from you again, yes i see a lot of people recommending hypnotherapy- i dont know too much about it either. i too keep a diary, its horrific reading it back. The tears … yes i frightened myself - this not sleeping, the cancer itself. i had my large colon remove when i was 30, i seem to have had so many hospital stays with blockages, my last op was 2 years ago - my family im sure just tolerate me. A couple of days ago i seemed to be crying all day and i kept thinking whats the point of all this. I was ashamed of thinking that the next day but it did frighten me. i think i will go back to my GP, try to find one who will listen to me. If only i could sleep…ive come on here to see how you are and end up loading you with my problems. im so sorry… im going to try to read up about hypnotherapy and tapping too. you stay safe, i really hope you get some sleep too. Ill come back in a few days to see how you are.sending love xxx

1 Like

Hi Erica, thankyou for messaging. My GP doesnt seem to listen, she sighs now and then and it makes me feel useless. There are other doctors at the practice so im going to try to book with one of those. I have such a long list of things ive tried, im running out of ideas. im sure Covid hasnt helped, im still having to shield but we do take my 2 Golden Retrievers out in the evenings, just to get some fresh air. i will update again once ive seen another GP. Thankyou for being there xx

2 Likes

I’m so glad you found this forum @Angie, please never apologise for sharing your problems and worries on here, that’s what this space is for! It sounds incredibly tough for you right now and sounds like it has been for a while. Your suggestion about going back to your GP sounds like a really good one - I do hope you find one that you helps you feel listened to. Have you talked to your GP about any emotional support that you might find helpful, for when you’re finding things get really hard?

Take care Angie and keep posting, and remember our support line is only a phone call away if you ever need to chat things through. The number is 0808 2080 888.

1 Like

@Angie, I think tears can be a really healthy sign as it shows you are letting your emotions out and sometimes that is what we need. You seem to have a really good insight into yourself and you know when it goes on for too long.
You have obviously had a lot of health problems over the years and I believe it takes the body a long time to recuperate.
I like the positive moves you are making with sleep therapies and trying to find a GP who really listens to you, I definitely find a list of symptoms, a diary, questions, thoughts and feelings focuses both myself and my GP. Yes, say your thoughts otherwise your GP will not realise how scary your thoughts have felt.
A walk with your 2 golden retrievers sounds wonderful and I expect a brilliant therapy.
As @Alice_BloodCancerUK says the support line is also there for you.
Please let us know what going on with you.

Hi @Angie, as @Alice_BloodCancerUK says, never ever apologise for loading me/us with your problems, I don’t see it that way at all. This forum is all about supporting and checking in with each other, it’s what we do best- just like you were checking on me. Trying to find a good GP is key isn’t it. I hope one of the other doctors listens a little more. I can’t remember if you mentioned this before but have you had any kind of counselling? It helped me but is not everybody’s cup of tea! Might be something else to discuss with the GP. I’ll be thinking of you tonight and hoping you get a little more sleep each night - do the same for me :wink: you take good care of yourself and keep posting and sharing.

2 Likes

Nichola75 Thanks for asking
Hi ?Good thanks 1 year since SCT and so far so good

3 Likes

It’s good to hear from you @vulcanbomber. That’s Really good news! :blush:

1 Like

Hi Angie. Just wondered how things were with you? X

1 Like

I was hoping I might exhaust myself being back at work but actually it has had the opposite effect and I’ve realised, it’s now more than ever, that I need to try some of these suggestions. Yes, I’m tired after a day at work but it’s so hard to switch off as there is so much to think about. I can see my bad habits rearing their ugly head again; writing emails way too late, finishing work at stupid o’clock, not giving my full attention to the girls when it should be family time. The good thing is I’ve recognised it and need to nip it in the bud! Anybody else find that work has added to their sleep issues?

4 Likes

What I did realise when I read your post above @Nichola75 is that I also go into those old habits of working on posts or emails too late at night and then my mind working clearly and is all over the place when I lie down to got to sleep. Also I know I should not watch tv,a dvd or a video that is scary before bedtime. But I do these things time and time again.

3 Likes

Hi @Nichola75

I also have issues sleeping if there is a lot on at work. I have found in particular that working beyond 9.00pm, even looking at emails, will really disrupt my sleep. I try to have no screen time for an hour before I try to sleep as well, which can also help. The challenge is it’s easy to have all these good intentions but when things are really busy the best laid plans tend to go out the window.

All the best, Peter

3 Likes

Yep - all good intentions! I’m going to really eh though.

3 Likes

I switch off my tablet and phone by 9.30pm at the latest, that way I can’t be tempted to have a peek. G usually has his phone on after I have gone to bed, as he is usually catching up on sports news, and we have a landline if anyone needs us urgently.
Make sure you get that family time folks, because you will never get that time back. It was one of the reasons I left teaching eventually

2 Likes