How have or are people living on their own coping, or not, with lockdown?

If you live on your own, without support, how are you coping, or not, with lockdown and shielding?
Also any handy coping hints you can pass on to others on this site.

2 Likes

I´m lucky in that I live in a rural part of East Sussex and my coping strategy is to get out walking as much as I can over the fields and through the numerous woods that we have here. I rarely cross paths with anyone, only the occasional dog walker. Exercise has always helped my through my myeloma journey. Until Covid I still played badminton and cricket and went regularly to a local gym. Shielding has brought all that to a halt but I continue to walk a lot. Also, I have a small garden. I do find the isolation very hard to deal with.

1 Like

Oh, I agree @aburke53 with what you say about walking, fresh air and a gentle breeze you cannot beat it. I also wear my Walkman and listen to my favourite music. I walk 4 times round a local rec and I notice something different all the time, it sort of clears my mind and puts things into perspective.
Yes, I really miss that social interaction and seeing family and friends.
I also miss the gym but I continue to do a Pilates dvd at home every day which helps me.
I think I am going to feel more isolated as the dark nights and colder weather set in.
What I do find helps is this community forum it is a great place to really share how I am doing.
My phone bill has risen as I phone family and friends and I am somehow using Skype and Zoom. Skills learnt in lockdown.
How are you keeping in contact with people?

I like you am dreading the darker nights. I do go out every day and partly back at work but it’s quite likely shielding will be back before winter kicks in and I’m not sure how I’ll cope with that. In some ways it will be better not to have that oppressive heat during shielding. I’ll no doubt fall back on reading, music and DVD’s for comfort.

1 Like

I keep in contact with people digitally but I am dreading the winter and the longer winter nights as the isolation will only get worse, especially as there is no end in sight to this disease.

1 Like

Yes @aburke53, you have hit the nail on the head, it’s the no end in sight isn’t it. We will have to support each other through it on this community forum. I found during the original shielding time a lot of our emotions were all over the place and when one of us got low then there was someone else who also got low at the same time or had recently felt low.
Keep posting and if there is any good to come out of this Covid I have learnt to use Zoom !!

1 Like

Zoom and Teams really irritate me now but I was always a slight technophobe. The household I live in is friendly enough. My landlord bought us dinner on Tuesday at our local a few doors down. I’ll be surprised if there aren’t further restrictions soon as too many people are not taking any notice. I’m sure I’ll be venting my frustration on here many times :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Hi @Franko, @Erica and @aburke53. I must say, I’m not a keen zoom participant but completely see it’s benefits, especially as the winter months set in and I’m sure I’ll be using it a lot more over the winter months (in short bursts!)

1 Like

Because we are all different, we will all have different coping mechanisms. The trick is to find a couple that work for you and find time and energy to stick at them, whether that be reading, walking, zooming or whatever floats your boat. Simply phoning friends and family a bit more helps, rather then emailing or texting.

1 Like

Couldn’t agree more. It’s just about keeping that contact going and doing what works for you to support your physical and mental well being.

1 Like

It’s difficult. I care for my elderly mum so Its A double edged sword…least she’s safe living with me.
I find my emotions are all over the place…I worry about not coping …what if I get ill what will happen. I already hide the cancer diagnosis from her telling her it’s a disorder.
I just dont want her to worry…
I’ve found my mental.health deteriorated this week…that does worry me…I spend many hours talking to the dog and I still dont sleep much…

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63. It’s so difficult at the moment isn’t it and I completely understand how your emotions are up and down - it’s the same here! I think all off your worries are ones we have all had, especially during the current climate and It must be extra hard for you, having to keep it all from your mum. I think it’s really brave to acknowledge that your mental health is suffering this week. I wondered if your mental health had been been affected before (I know mine is on and off) and how you managed? Yes, you need to look after your mum but you also need to look after yourself and make sure you have some support. Have you got people around to support you and to help with your mums care? I’m so glad you could share on here. Have you thought about calling the support line and actually talking through your worries. I thought this might help? I’ve also included the link to a thread on sleeping difficulties. Lots of people really struggle and who knows, one of the suggestions may be right for you. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Remember, we are all here for you and the support line is open tomorrow if you need it. Please take care X

2 Likes

Hi @Hmc63, it sounds as if you are going through a tough time. My emotions have been heightened and all over the place this year and I find me and my mind are worst enemies sometimes, it goes off on all the things that have not happened yet.
That is why I have found this forum so supportive as I can share what it is really like to be me and people will understand and not judge me.
Thank you, it must have taken courage to be so honest and @Nichola75 has given you good information, we are here for you as is the support line and of course 24/7 the Samaritans are there on 116 123 as I find, in the words of the Mamas and Papas song, that the darkest hour is just before dawn.
It sounds as if you have a lovely listening dog, take care and spoil yourselves it has been a relentless year. Please let us know how you are doing, then we can support you.

1 Like

It’s weird. With the cancer I had no problem. Everybody commented on how positive I was during and after my treatment. But the pandemic has affected me far more than any of the cancer stuff as I hate having to put my life on hold and not have an idea when it’s going to end. Even with the treatment there was a plan of sorts and even at the beginning I had a pencilled in date in my mind for returning to work and getting on with life and was able to work towards it, but with the current situation it never ends. I’m not sure it ever will, even when we get a vaccine. We’ll still have to live with some restrictions and be more careful.

1 Like

Thanks for the comments…I am going ok and feeling a bit more uplifted. My blood results came back and my platelets have lowered. That’s the good news…but my white cells are a bit low so have to.be super careful with infection.
Spent time using a calm.app headspace and a faith based one that I found helpful…has given me a boost…I’m not religious just found their meditation very calming and thoughtful.
Got a hospital appt for a check up.next week.
Just a strange time of year . I’m not really looking forward to Christmas…but I take it one day at a time…

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, it really lovely to hear from you. I’m glad you have found the app helps. I think meditation is brilliant but it’s something I’ve had to practice in order to get the most out of it. How are you feeling about your up and coming hospital visit? I agree with taking one day at a time, any more than that can be quite overwhelming! Have you got any plans for Christmas? What do you normally do? It’s going to be very different this year for all off us isn’t it! Please let us know how your appointment goes. I’ll be thinking of you x

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, I am glad your platelets have lowered.
I am so glad you have found meditation helps you and keeping it in the day. Handy hints for us all, thanks.
Yes, Christmas, I just don’t want to think of it at the moment. It’s been a weird old year.

1 Like

Hospital appointment has been changed to a telephone consultation as my blood test is ok…so I’m relieved. They said They will deliver my medication so I don’t have to go out for it.
Good news

1 Like

Hi @Hmc63, well that’s good news x2, I think. I have been impressed by the medical telephone appointments I have had and I await hearing how yours goes.

That really is good news!

1 Like